Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

The Resident Evil 4 thread

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-05, 01:09 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 444 Likes on 311 Posts
The Resident Evil 4 thread

I couldn't find a thread, so I started one.

This thing looks to be pretty great - a 5/5 on gamespy and a 9.8 on IGN:

10 Presentation
Phenomenal. Outstanding. From the slick menus to the cinematic cut-scenes, the new play types and the buyable extras, this is Resident Evil at its best.
9.5 Graphics
Superb. Unequaled art. Technically in a league of its own. Gorgeous character models, environments, animation, lighting and texture effects. GameCube's prettiest title. Faked widescreen hurts.
9.0 Sound
Atmospheric and ambient. Heart-thumping sound effects and moody music, all in Dolby Pro Logic II.
9.5 Gameplay
The best Resident Evil game ever made. Truly intense. Lots of new compelling gameplay types. Excellent new targeting and action systems. Boss fights are incredible. Satisfying quest.
8.5 Lasting Appeal
At 20-plus hours, a meaty single-player adventure. And because the game tallies hit ratios and kills per area, there's records to be beaten. Plus, there are unlockables.

I'm a little disappointed that the game forces you into a screen-shrinking widescreen mode - I mean, you can make any game run better if you make the screen small enough.

But otherwise, the game looks to be awesome and I can't wait to play it.
Old 01-07-05, 01:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I know the price is $50, but what the best place to get it? (meaning you get something extra along with it)
Old 01-07-05, 01:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

So this game is in constand letterbox mode ala Beyond Good & Evil?
Old 01-07-05, 01:27 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Aim for the head!

Boom! I didn't realise the whole thing was in widescreen... looks kinda cool! This will be my first Gamecube purchase in a while...

(pity they had to cover the top and bottom of the screen with those stupid black bars though...)
Old 01-07-05, 01:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend

People on DVDTalk complaining about widescreen. I've seen it all.
Old 01-07-05, 01:40 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Chew
I know the price is $50, but what the best place to get it? (meaning you get something extra along with it)
$38+free shipping
Old 01-07-05, 01:52 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 444 Likes on 311 Posts
The limited edition exclusive to Gamestop is $10 more, but it comes in a tin case, with an art-book and some more goodies - not sure if it's worth it.

EB has an exclusive with a "making-of" dvd.

You'll find the info at these stores' respective websites...
Old 01-07-05, 02:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by flair
I was all set to pay $50 + shipping and hoping to get something extra for it. But, $38 and free shipping? Sold! Thanks
Old 01-07-05, 02:18 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I ordered the LE months ago at Gamestop, and they told me I would get a demo disc once they came in. Of course, when they came in I didn't get one, so they told me to go to the other store. I get there and they refuse to give me one. Both stores have been out for a couple weeks, but I managed to get the final copy at EB last week. I must have played through the demo 20 times that night, and each time found something new I loved about it. This is now my most-anticipated game ever(surpassing Devil May Cry 2, ugh......), as I fully expect it to be the best RE ever, and Tuesday is just too long of a wait.
On the bright side, the guys at Gamestop are letting me have the RE4 standee - now I can put it alongside my standees of Darth Vader, Return of the King, and Devil May Cry 2.
Old 01-07-05, 02:30 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

You know, I had a feeling this game would turn out really well. To be honest it was never at the top of my list, but now I can't wait to play. Almost glad gamerush screwed up my POP2 pre-order and I had to switch it to RE4.

Now I have a tough decision, seeing as I haven't completed any of the previous RE cube games (beat RE2 on the ps1) should I play those first and then end with RE4 or jump right into 4.
Old 01-07-05, 02:50 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by msdmoney
You know, I had a feeling this game would turn out really well. To be honest it was never at the top of my list, but now I can't wait to play...

Now I have a tough decision, seeing as I haven't completed any of the previous RE cube games (beat RE2 on the ps1) should I play those first and then end with RE4 or jump right into 4.
Every time they release a new RE game, they always tell us "We fixed the clunky controls, the inventory system is improved, etc... etc..." but they never actually follow through with it. RE0 simply made TWICE the work with the inventory, and the controls were almost identical to all the others in the series. So I'm really pleased to see such a high ranking (99% out of 3 reviews) on gamerankings.com right now...

http://www.gamerankings.com/htmlpages2/535840.asp

As far as playing them in order, msdmoney, I wouldn't bother. According to the reviews, the story is very far removed from everything that has come before it. Which is a good thing; I was getting pretty sick of the convoluted Umbrella/T-Virus stuff; not to mention the story was impossible to follow over the course of the series anyway. For me, it's mainly the style of the game that keeps me interested...

To prove its commitment to delivering a more modern experience, Capcom has developed an original storyline that eschews many of the series' mainstays including the dreaded T-Virus and the corporation responsible for it: Umbrella. Leon is no longer a member of the Raccoon City Police Department's S.T.A.R.S unit. Instead, he's on a special assignment for the U.S. Government to locate and return the president's daughter; an unknown organization has kidnapped young Ashley and taken her to remote European village.
Old 01-07-05, 03:38 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I was hoping this would turn out well, now I'm kinda getting excited. Sounds like a game I will like, I just hope it is plenty scary.
Old 01-07-05, 04:19 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I never followed this game until like a week ago when I saw a commercial for it. Looks cool, this may give me a reason to play my Cube again since I beat Wind Waker a year ago or so.

Last edited by SuprVgeta; 01-07-05 at 04:23 PM.
Old 01-07-05, 04:21 PM

Originally Posted by SuprVgeta
I never followed this game until like a week ago when I saw a commercial for it, Is this just on Gamecube and PS2? Looks cool.
gamecube exclusive for 6 months or so, then the ps2 version will be released.
Old 01-07-05, 04:33 PM

Thanks for the head up FLAIR!!
Old 01-07-05, 04:47 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Very nice score! Got my preorder ticket right here ready to pick it up
Old 01-07-05, 05:15 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Here is an ebay auction for your very own Resident Evil email account:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...159703871&rd=1

I was reading that Umbrella is not in this game at all. It is some new evil organization. To me this is disappointing. I want to see the end of Umbrella. The previous games led us to believe that there would be a big battle with Umbrella, but now they are gone with no explanation. This is like watching Empire Strikes Back and never finishing with Return of the Jedi.

Last edited by kgrogers1979; 01-07-05 at 06:26 PM.
Old 01-07-05, 07:02 PM

I don't know what it was exactly about the demo for this game that really did "it" for me, but something did, and I cannot WAIT until mid-week to start through the full version. My only regret is that I will also have to mix in some time to start playing the new Zelda: Minish Cap game as well...
Old 01-07-05, 08:55 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,655 Likes on 1,032 Posts
Ordered. At that price I couldn't pass it up.

Thanks!
Old 01-07-05, 10:15 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 912 Likes on 772 Posts
Originally Posted by Draven
Ordered. At that price I couldn't pass it up.

Thanks!
how can they sell it for so cheap?
also, anyone know how long ground shipping (airborne express) roughly takes to most location?
Old 01-08-05, 12:01 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 361 Likes on 304 Posts
have my copy pre-ordered at EB. can't wait to pick it up
Old 01-08-05, 01:10 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

It's probably too late now, but I preordered mine from gamestop and got a free demo. I sold that demo on ebay for nearly $20. So, I guess my copy is really cheap.

Nonetheless, I can't wait for this game. It's the main reason I bought a gamecube.
Old 01-08-05, 01:51 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by kgrogers1979
Here is an ebay auction for your very own Resident Evil email account:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...159703871&rd=1

I was reading that Umbrella is not in this game at all. It is some new evil organization. To me this is disappointing. I want to see the end of Umbrella. The previous games led us to believe that there would be a big battle with Umbrella, but now they are gone with no explanation. This is like watching Empire Strikes Back and never finishing with Return of the Jedi.
I dunno think about it for a second
Spoiler:
Ok, you're the US government and you paid Umbrella loads and loads of money for bio weapons. Only to find out that inside said company there have been too many "accidents", not really accidents but planned events meant for financial gain and a means to upset the deals you've created with Umbrella. Not only that but these accident lead to the destruction of an entire population in midwest america. How do you think our goverment would respond to that? Idealy they'd probably seek a way to cover it up but it seems in the games continuity our government saw to it to dismantel Umbrella completely. Is this the case? Maybe, maybe not Im just making a guess based on what I already about RE 4 and what has already occured. New evil company or not, this could just be one of many companies that have, or may have gained access to Umbrella's research. Remember we never found out who Wesker was worknig for in Code Veronica. Not only that there are many holes in the continuity left from RE 3
Thats just my opinion on the matter I could be way off.

They're coming to get you Leon.

-zero
Old 01-08-05, 03:34 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Someone on the CAG forums posted that Gamestop wouldn't cancel his preorder, so he wanted to cancel his Outpost preorder. The CSR told him/her that the game is backordered until February. Website doesn't say anything about that on the product page, so I'm going to call tomorrow morning to see if my order is in the backorder crowd. I'd hate to miss out on this great price, but I'm so anxious for this game I may have to cancel my order just so I can get it the first week. Whenever I don't get a game fairly close to launch, someone always winds up spoiling something for me. I certainly don't want that to be the case with this game.
Old 01-08-05, 07:13 AM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 912 Likes on 772 Posts
Originally Posted by eatntae
Someone on the CAG forums posted that Gamestop wouldn't cancel his preorder, so he wanted to cancel his Outpost preorder. The CSR told him/her that the game is backordered until February. Website doesn't say anything about that on the product page, so I'm going to call tomorrow morning to see if my order is in the backorder crowd. I'd hate to miss out on this great price, but I'm so anxious for this game I may have to cancel my order just so I can get it the first week. Whenever I don't get a game fairly close to launch, someone always winds up spoiling something for me. I certainly don't want that to be the case with this game.
yes...let us all know about this. thanks.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.