Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Lord of the Rings poster question/gripe

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-05, 11:05 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 920 Likes on 653 Posts

Is there a classy poster for Return of the King? ala the advance posters from the first two films.

The first two are as follows:

but then for Return of the King we have a giant head shot of Aaragorn? What's up with that?

Anyway, I was looking to buy them, is there a "better" ROTK one that I am missing?
Old 01-07-05, 11:29 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
it's Return of the King, and he is the King and all.......

but a nice shot of Minas Tirith would be cool
Old 01-07-05, 11:39 AM

I agree they should have used Minas Tirith for a ROTK teaser poster to keep up with the theme of Middle Earth landscapes. But the Aragorn/Anduril poster would make a good match for the Frodo/Ring (FOTR) and Saruman (TTT) posters. It seems the promotions dept. stopped a bit short for ROTK.

Ditto for the gollum statuette for the TTT EE DVD gift set. It could have been Isengard, Helm's Deep, The Golden Hall, Black Gates, or the Tower of Barad Dur.

Last edited by IanH; 01-07-05 at 11:50 AM.
Old 01-07-05, 12:20 PM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i work for the company that designed all the Lord of the Rings posters, as well as the tv spots and trailers. the aragorn poster is part of a slew of teaser posters, each featuring a character from the film. a minas tirith design was done but was rejected by peter jackson and new line in favor of what follows. pj presented our company with one of aragorn's 'ranger' swords from the films as a token of his appreciation.

further, it was supposed to mirror this teaser poster for fellowship.

a bit of trivia, this fellowship poster features the hands, faces and bodies of people that work here. the guys in the boats are editors here.

Last edited by cygnet74; 01-07-05 at 01:21 PM.
Old 01-07-05, 12:40 PM

I stand corrected on my "stopped a bit short" remark.

I loved those giant teaser ads (above) that could be seen on buildings and billboards around L.A. during the time of the premier. Very classy and they didn't emphasize the "fantasy" aspect of these films. Great job folks.

edit:
Still, didn't the people who worked on the posters want to see a Minas Tirith teaser poster to complement the other two? I don't think collectors would blame the company if PJ specifically didn't approve of any Minas Tirith posters. But I think its understandable why people would be disappointed after getting the Argonath and Isengard/Barad Dur posters. I think the demand is there. There's gotta be a shot or two that could be used now that most everyone knows what Minas Tirith looks like.

Last edited by IanH; 01-07-05 at 12:59 PM.
Old 01-07-05, 12:42 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts
corvin, i ran into the EXACT same problem when trying to get a set of posters for all 3 films. I got the first two you have above, but wasn't sold on the aragorn headshot. there was a poster of aragorn on a horse, leading an army... that was pretty cool, but when I ordered it, it was bigger than the other two posters. I wanted some uniformity, so I went with the headshot. it's actually a cool poster when you see it, and fits in because, well, he is the king that's returning, and it has the kind of ominous landscape background... but i do agree that a landscape poster (like minis tirith) would have been nice and consistent, but I ended up liking the head shot one, especially cause it was the same size as the other 2.

Last edited by Big Boy Laroux; 01-07-05 at 12:44 PM.
Old 01-07-05, 12:47 PM

this is an unofficial design (meaning it wasn't done for the theatrical release campaign), but what about this one?

Last edited by cygnet74; 01-07-05 at 12:56 PM.
Old 01-07-05, 12:55 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I know I'm like an echo in here, but I also agree. I've been miffed since late '03 that they dropped the ball on creating a third "architecture" pre-production art style teaser poster to complete the set. So much for my idea of having all 3 framed together on a wall...

The closest artwork I could find to a third one is on the cover of The Art Of The Return Of The King, alas it's not a poster though, AFAIK:

Old 01-07-05, 01:00 PM

Originally Posted by darqleo
I know I'm like an echo in here, but I also agree. I've been miffed since late '03 that they dropped the ball on creating a third "architecture" pre-production art style teaser poster to complete the set. So much for my idea of having all 3 framed together on a wall...
actually, only two towers had a landscape design for the advanced teaser poster (date only, no credits at bottom), while fellowship and rotk used 'big head shots of frodo and aragorn as their teaser design. the landscape design for fellowship was one of the main posters that came later.

ADVANCED TEASER POSTERS (date, no credits block):
this aragorn poster was part of several character specific designs for the rotk advanced teaser campaign.

Last edited by cygnet74; 01-07-05 at 01:22 PM.
Old 01-07-05, 05:34 PM
Banned

i don't know what you're all talking about, the movie's called THE RETURN OF THE KING. What better tease than a shot of Elessar, Anduril in hand and the Ring of Barahir at the center, with a look on his face that says, "Yeah, what's up bitches". This poster kicks ass.
Old 01-07-05, 05:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by cygnet74
a bit of trivia, this fellowship poster features the hands, faces and bodies of people that work here. the guys in the boats are editors here.

Interesting. So are the hands and bodies in the statues or are they hidden in the rocks somewhere? Or were you just talking about the hands, faces and bodies of the editors in the boats?
Old 01-07-05, 06:04 PM

Originally Posted by tofu
Interesting. So are the hands and bodies in the statues or are they hidden in the rocks somewhere? Or were you just talking about the hands, faces and bodies of the editors in the boats?
right, statues used the hands, bodies and faces of people that work here. the guys in the boats are editors.

Last edited by cygnet74; 01-07-05 at 06:18 PM.
Old 01-07-05, 08:54 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 194 Likes on 159 Posts
I was going to get posters for the Trilogy, too, but then I saw RotK and I couldn't bring myself to do it.

Besides the movie - I thought the poster work done for the first two films was better than the work done for the finale.
Old 01-07-05, 09:40 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

I'm glad I'm not alone then. There is a demand, it should be met. I guess I will hold off until one is made. I do like that "art of" image, although a Minas one would be better. Thanks for the help guys.

Oh, and the unofficial one, decent, but I don't want actors in it. I prefer the landscapes.
Old 01-07-05, 09:48 PM

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin
I'm glad I'm not alone then. There is a demand, it should be met. I guess I will hold off until one is made. I do like that "art of" image, although a Minas one would be better. Thanks for the help guys.

Oh, and the unofficial one, decent, but I don't want actors in it. I prefer the landscapes.
i wish i could give you a copy of the minas tirith design we have here at work, but it's not worth losing my job over.
Old 01-07-05, 10:53 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

I kinda figured, that's why I didn't ask. I'm betting it is pretty sweet though. So, who is it you work for?
Old 01-08-05, 06:40 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 971 Likes on 678 Posts
Actually I was just thinking the exact same thing to as I loved the teaser posters for the first two.
Old 01-08-05, 09:05 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by cygnet74
Now see, I had all this respect for you for creating the LOTR posters and a few others on the site, then I scroll over and see the giant name (lets promote the stars and not the film) Shrek poster. What an atrocity.

That's alright though, they can't all be home runs.

Your company couldn't get away with an abandoned concepts section on the site? Just a thought.
Old 01-08-05, 07:15 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

The studio's the one that gets to say what kind of poster they want.

I'd love to have your job cygnet74, you're very lucky
Old 08-29-06, 08:19 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Well I'd like to revise this bitch thread after seeing the beauty of the new DVD release artwork. It is a crying shame that this was not released as a poster.

And look how beautiful these look together:
Old 08-29-06, 10:09 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
You mean out of the million things Weta has done to milk money out of super-fans (figurines, rings, pendants, swords, official Bilbo beanbags) they never released limited edition posters?

Also, Cygnet you seem to have my dream job.
Old 08-29-06, 11:09 AM
DVD Talk Legend

That reminds me, I have a Fellowship of the Ring poster. Along with In the Bedroom, Moulin Rouge, A Beautiful Mind, and Gosford Park (the five Best Picture nominees for that year, a prize from a newspaper for a “pick the Academy Award winners” contest. The Moulin Rouge one is the one with the Ewan McGregor (“Truth”). My sons are in grade school now, some day I’ll pass these on to them to decorate their rooms.

And back to the Lord of the Rings, there is some new set being released today (six disks?). I tried to find it, do you realize how many different ways these three movies have been packaged? I'll just keep waiting before I buy one.
Old 08-30-06, 04:27 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts
ha ha, michael, as soon as i saw the cover art for the new DVDs, i also hit the internet trying to find a poster version of the ROTK cover...