Reload this Page >

LOTR: Battle for Middle Earth

Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Old 01-06-05, 02:06 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I did a search but didn't find a thread specifically about this game, so I made a new one. Is anybody playing this? I'm a huge fan of the Command & Conquer series so it was nice to see a new game with the Generals engine. I think it's a great game and enjoy playing it. I talked my roommate into buying it too so we could play over the network.

One of the things that really disappointed me about the game was the population limit. I think it's pretty weak to have a game based on a movie trilogy with humungous armies, but in actual gameplay you can barely amass a small army before the population limit is reached. Is there any easy way around this? I know if you take over more castles/camps/whatever then your limit will raise, but there should be an easier way. Other games like this usually allow the user to control the population limits before the game starts, but we weren't so lucky here.

The different armies are pretty cool, but I think Rohan is by far my favorite. Mordor would be next, with Isengard and Gondor trailing behind. I did think it was weird that Frodo wasn't a hero (at least in the skirmish games) but I have yet to start a campaign.

What does everyone else think about this game?
Old 01-06-05, 02:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i have it but didnt play it yet......

i am so hooked on Rome Total War
Old 01-06-05, 02:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

About population limits... one thing I'd like to see in the next generation (or as soon as feasible) is a tactics/strategy game with a focus on managing very large armies. By "very large" I don't mean 40 or even 200, but thousands.
Old 01-06-05, 03:53 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by raven56706
i have it but didnt play it yet......

i am so hooked on Rome Total War
Ditto. I'm waiting for the price to go down on this. Not a huge fan of C&C: Generals, so hopefully I'll like this a bit more. Being a LOTR fan should help.
Old 01-06-05, 06:52 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I'm digging this game. I beat the good campaign over X-Mas break. Helms Deep was an amazing level. I've been skirmishing quite a bit, and playing some with my roommate over network. Like you, I'm not a fan of the population limit, and what's worse, there is no way to "rid yourself" of units. For example, I want to build elven archers, but I have to waste money and command points on yeoman archers first before my archery range can produce elves. The only way to reduce your command points is by sending your troops to their deaths. Base building is also a little simplistic, but it's ok. All in all, I'm hoping there is a patch out soon that will up the command point limit a little bit, or at least make it adjustable.
Old 01-07-05, 02:06 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Yeah, I'm hoping a patch addresses the command point limit thing too. If only they allowed user control, then it would be handy. After playing a few skirmishes last night I think Mordor replaced Rohan as my favorite team. The free Orcs are a nice touch, but the Mumakills and the Trolls are just awesome. You can also get rid of Orcs (maybe other units, but I haven't tried) by sending them into the slaughter house. The orcs can also eat each other to gain experience points, which also comes in handy if you need to free up some command points.
Old 01-07-05, 04:26 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I haven't played as either evil side yet because well... Legolas is the shit lol. I also dig Rohirrim. I may have to try Mordor or Isengard out later.
Old 01-08-05, 08:25 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Any chance this is going to come out for Xbox/PS2? My computer days are pretty much over. Do not have time to sit on the computer....I have a weekend job where I can take my portable systems along with a 9" TV. This is when I usually play my games. Not a whole lot of time during the week.
Old 01-08-05, 04:48 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I doubt it. I can't imagine how awful playing an RTS on a console controller would be. That would be a nightmare.
Old 01-09-05, 03:36 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by jaeufraser
I doubt it. I can't imagine how awful playing an RTS on a console controller would be. That would be a nightmare.
*Shudders at the memory of C&C: Red Alert on Playstation* RTS don't belong on consoles.