Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Alexander--Stone editing the DVD!

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-05, 01:43 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Alexander--Stone editing the DVD!

If this is true, it's utter bullshit and I'm disgusted. From today's New York Post.

---------------
January 6, 2005 -- OLIVER Stone is disappointed in the response to his "Alexander the Great," and plans to alter the movie for its release on DVD. "There's a raging fundamentalism in morality in the U.S.," Stone fumed at the movie's London premiere this week. "From day one, audiences didn't show up. They didn't even read the reviews in the South because the media was using the words, 'Alex the gay.' " Earlier, Stone griped to the London Telegraph, "The gays lambasted me for not making Alexander openly homosexual, and, in the Bible Belt pastors were up in the pulpit saying that to watch this film was to be tempted by Satan." Stone said he'd change the offending scenes for the DVD: "The bond [between men] can be suggested in different ways."
Old 01-06-05, 01:47 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

geez
Old 01-06-05, 01:51 PM

Don't care.

But hey, if it's the director's intent... or in the case spineless director's intent. It's interesting that he's allowing himself to be so easily swayed by public opinion. If he doesn't give that opinion much credence, why be moved by it?
Old 01-06-05, 01:53 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
to Stone. I avoided the movie because of these scenes, but now I can check it out at home.
Old 01-06-05, 01:57 PM

Groucho, you're joking, right?
Old 01-06-05, 02:01 PM
Banned

Unfortunately, i don't think he's joking. He's from Utah.
Old 01-06-05, 02:01 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
I really don't know where he seemed to be getting this backlash from. The stuff I read about was mostly that the film squandered the chance to learn about Alexander as he was growing up. Maybe Stone needs to stop reading the Christian fundies websites and stick with the movie websites.
Old 01-06-05, 02:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by daniel18
Groucho, you're joking, right?
Isn't this an FAQ?
Old 01-06-05, 02:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
[QUOTE=digitalfreaknyc]If this is true, it's utter bullshit and I'm disgusted. From today's New York Post.

---------------
January 6, 2005 -- OLIVER Stone is disappointed in the response to his "Alexander the Great," and plans to alter the movie for its release on DVD. "There's a raging fundamentalism in morality in the U.S.," Stone fumed at the movie's London premiere this week. "From day one, audiences didn't show up. QUOTE]

The real bullshit is coming from Stone himself.

I saw this on "day one" (actually, the 2nd day it was out) in a PACKED theater in Providence RI. This movie had the attention and interest of the public, but when you combine generally negative reviews with downbeat word of mouth, that's when audiences don't show up.

It's simply not a good movie, and what's truely disgusting is Stone trying to excuse his artistic shortcomings by blaming it on the political environment.
Old 01-06-05, 02:30 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
So what is he going to blame the poor DVD sales on when he's removed the "offending scenes"?
Old 01-06-05, 02:32 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by talemyn
So what is he going to blame the poor DVD sales on when he's removed the "offending scenes"?
No insert.

Old 01-06-05, 02:33 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I'm an open minded guy......The gay scenes didn't disturb me.......The way the movie bored me did.
Old 01-06-05, 02:42 PM

I didn't like this movie. I like most of Stone's films, but this one was..a disappointment.
Old 01-06-05, 02:45 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by digitalfreaknyc
No insert.

Nice. 5/5
Old 01-06-05, 03:08 PM

Received 99 Likes on 82 Posts
At least include both versions Mr. Stone for the Alexander purists out there (if any). Anyone...Bueller?
Old 01-06-05, 03:22 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by digitalfreaknyc
If this is true, it's utter bullshit and I'm disgusted. From today's New York Post.

---------------
January 6, 2005 -- OLIVER Stone is disappointed in the response to his "Alexander the Great," and plans to alter the movie for its release on DVD. "There's a raging fundamentalism in morality in the U.S.," Stone fumed at the movie's London premiere this week. "From day one, audiences didn't show up. They didn't even read the reviews in the South because the media was using the words, 'Alex the gay.' " Earlier, Stone griped to the London Telegraph, "The gays lambasted me for not making Alexander openly homosexual, and, in the Bible Belt pastors were up in the pulpit saying that to watch this film was to be tempted by Satan." Stone said he'd change the offending scenes for the DVD: "The bond [between men] can be suggested in different ways."
I agree with marty888. The real bullshit is coming from Stone. The man is constantly butchering history. If he's such a good historical epic film maker, the least he could do is to MAINTAIN history. He's the revisionist. If the Greeks say that Alexander wasn't gay, and mind you that Greeks are presumably as secular as the rest of Europe, then I'd take the Greek's word over Oliver "I have a" Stone "up my ass".
Old 01-06-05, 03:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Mike Lowrey
I agree with marty888. The real bullshit is coming from Stone. The man is constantly butchering history. If he's such a good historical epic film maker, the least he could do is to MAINTAIN history. He's the revisionist. If the Greeks say that Alexander wasn't gay, and mind you that Greeks are presumably as secular as the rest of Europe, then I'd take the Greek's word over Oliver "I have a" Stone "up my ass".

Please don't misinterpret me - my comments have nothing to do with historical accuracy, simply with the fact that this is a dismal effort from one of our best directors, and rather than try to blame its failure on "fundamentalists" he should take his lumps and realize that this is not a successful movie on any conceivable level.
Old 01-06-05, 03:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2,204 Likes on 1,507 Posts
Thank goodness Stone is changing it. Now it's safe for me to watch the DVD without the possible risk of catching teh gay.
Old 01-06-05, 03:43 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

For heaven's sake, an average episode of "Will and Grace" has more gay content than this movie does. If you are that offended by a couple of scenes of Collin Farrel and Jared Leto hugging you've got issues.

If you avoid the film, do so because it's a bore.
Old 01-06-05, 04:08 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Mike Lowrey
The Greeks would have a problem saying ANYONE Greek was gay. The amusing part of it all is that HISTORY shows homosexuality running rampant in their society. That's just fact. It's all stupidly amusing.
Old 01-06-05, 04:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Oh, to be greek.
Old 01-06-05, 04:21 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

This will really suck if he doesn't include the regular theatrical version in the release, atleast as a collectors edition or something. I wanted to see this movie and only held out for the DVD release because of the bad word of mouth and the fact that I hate going to the theater (especially for a fairly long movie).
Old 01-06-05, 04:34 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Buy Alexander on DVD It's Less Gay! While I believe every film, no matter how bad it may be, should be preserved and released in its original theatrical exhibition, I don't entirely disagree with Stone on his decision. While the movie was torn apart critically I'm sure if Alexander was portrayed straight the movie would not have bombed as much as it did. Stone is trying to save his career by this move and if it pleases the studio execs that he at least tried to make his movie work, he'll be able to make more movies. And I'll be happy to see what subject Stone will tackle on his next project.

Wow, lots of run-on sentences there. I need to get back to school.
Old 01-06-05, 04:55 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Is this a Universal DVD? Are they going to call it "Alexander: The Totally Heterosexual Edition?"
Old 01-06-05, 04:56 PM

I can't believe how much of a poser Stone's become! Ten years ago this Stone would of told us to get over and deal with it. If anything he would've put in more gay stuff.

I don't see the big deal, it happened. It's real. He was bi.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.