TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

life as we know it **New Time Slot** - 01/06/05

Old 01-06-05, 08:22 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 194 Likes on 159 Posts
life as we know it **New Time Slot** - 01/06/05

"A Little Problem"

Spoiler:
Sue makes a stunning admission; Dino sees a counselor (Peter Dinklage) to deal with his anger about his parents' separation; Deb's visitor intrigues Jonathan.

Cast: Sean Faris, Jon Foster, Chris Lowell, Missy Peregrym, Kelly Osbourne, D.B. Sweeney, Lisa Darr, Marguerite Moreau, Jessica Lucas, Sarah Strange, James McDaniel, Peter Dinklage, Carly McKillip, Donnelly Rhodes, Natasha Melnick, Chuck Dimeo.
Director(s): Michael Engler.
Producer(s): Gabe Sachs, Jeff Judah, Stu Bloomberg.
Writer(s): Leila Gerstein.

Original Airdate: January 6, 2005.

**This is the first ep in the show's new timeslot @ 8/7 Central.**
Old 01-06-05, 08:58 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 614 Likes on 493 Posts
Enjoy it while it lasts. I have a feeling with this move they are sentencing this show to death. As I said before, I'd love to meet the moran in ABC Programming who thought it was good idea to schedule this show against The O.C.
Old 01-06-05, 09:03 AM
DVD Talk Hero

I know I shouldn't be, but I am still amazed how some of these fucking morons consistently get jobs.

Last edited by B.A.; 01-06-05 at 09:05 AM.
Old 01-06-05, 09:39 AM

Received 97 Likes on 80 Posts
Originally Posted by Red Dog
Enjoy it while it lasts. I have a feeling with this move they are sentencing this show to death. As I said before, I'd love to meet the moran in ABC Programming who thought it was good idea to schedule this show against The O.C.
Yeah, no kidding. When it was matched up with CSI (a death sentence in and of itself) it at least had a chance of claiming its own demographic audience. No way in hell vs The OC.
Old 01-06-05, 08:50 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Holy shit! Did you see Cindy Sanders tonight? I couldn't place where I knew her from for the whole episode, and then it hit me.
Old 01-06-05, 09:14 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 68 Likes on 58 Posts
Originally Posted by veloce
Holy shit! Did you see Cindy Sanders tonight? I couldn't place where I knew her from for the whole episode, and then it hit me.
Finish your thought.
Old 01-07-05, 06:20 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Pretty good episode, had some funny lines.

"Suck on that, Ms. Young!"

Sad to see them trying to kill the show off. I think I am actually enjoying 'life...' more than 'The OC' now.
Old 01-07-05, 07:26 AM
DVD Talk God

No shock value in this episode. That may be a first.

The dwarf playing the guidance counseler did a pretty good job in that role.
Old 01-07-05, 08:56 AM

Originally Posted by ben12
Finish your thought.
Is this because you don't know who Cindy Sanders is? I wouldn't want to patronize you if you don't.
Old 01-07-05, 10:14 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 31 Likes on 25 Posts
dinklage is a great actor. really, really good. he was great in the role as the counselor.

so is that it, is ms. young gone for good? was that storyline getting too "out there"? or will she be back (just not as a teacher)?

it does seem strange that sue would just tell her dad like that... i'm not sure too many parents would let something like that go, and not alert the authorities. but i guess it was good of him to approach ms. young first.

the cousin... what a horrible lisp.
Old 01-07-05, 10:16 AM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by Big Boy Laroux

so is that it, is ms. young gone for good? was that storyline getting too "out there"? or will she be back (just not as a teacher)?

I don't know how much further they could have taken it. I think it was a good resolution and now they have set up a true Romeo & Juliet situation with Ben and Sue.

In the unlikely event that this show sees a 2nd season, I wouldn't be surprised if you saw Ms. Young return.
Old 01-07-05, 10:27 AM

yeah, i thought it had gone pretty far, too, and ran the risk of getting too unbelievable. i thought it wrapped up ok, just checking to see if anyone thought that was the end of her character in the show.

i agree on the romeo/juliet thing with Ben and Sue. I am glad that it did not turn out to be a Race thing. in the previews, you;re led to believe that it's a White/Black thing that the Dad has a problem with.

i really don't care that db sweeney has the hots for kelly osbourne's mom. this show is about the kids, not the parents... but i guess they're trying for a broader demographic (hell, I'm a 26 year old Caucasion male), and it does impact their kids' lives... so i'll let it pass.

Last edited by Big Boy Laroux; 01-07-05 at 10:30 AM.
Old 01-07-05, 10:49 AM
DVD Talk Legend

They did the same thing with Pacey's teacher on Dawson's Creek: quickly got rid of her and then she showed up in a later season.

I thought "Ben's" acting was terrible in the crying scene. At first I thought he was faking, or it was a dream sequence or something.

I loved Peter Dinklage and his line about Interpol: "They're a Joy Division rip-off." And then Dino asking "Who?"
Old 01-07-05, 11:00 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Jadzia
I thought "Ben's" acting was terrible in the crying scene. At first I thought he was faking, or it was a dream sequence or something.
Me too.
Old 01-07-05, 11:30 AM

man, that trick is the oldest one in the book. if a chick is mad at you, fake crying so they think you're "sensitive"

see how fast ben got out of that one? i mean, come on! the guy is banging a teacher, and sue thinks he is using her to get back at said teacher (logical conclusion). but a few crocodile tears, and ben is off scott-free.
Old 01-07-05, 01:29 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I don't think her Dad would care about race....Pretty sure his wife and Sue's mom is white...
Old 01-07-05, 01:38 PM

i would assume that as well. but you never know (unless they showed the mom in a previous episode). i was just saying that the previews led me to believe that the line "I don't want you seeing my daughter" would be a race thing, as there was no indication that anyone was going to find out about Ben and Ms. Young.
Old 01-07-05, 02:44 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

It showed Sue and her parents in a scene at their dinner table in one episode..I think the mom was white.
Old 01-07-05, 03:23 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 68 Likes on 58 Posts
Originally Posted by veloce
Is this because you don't know who Cindy Sanders is? I wouldn't want to patronize you if you don't.
No, I don't. Was she playing the cousin? I must look real ig'nant right now.
Old 01-07-05, 03:24 PM

well, there ya go. i didn't see that one (with them at the dinner table). i picked up in like the 3rd episode.

oh, and cindy sanders was someone on Freaks and Geeks. I saw like maybe 2 episodes of that show. apparently if you didn't recognize her, you're an idiot. so i guess i'm an idiot.

Last edited by Big Boy Laroux; 01-07-05 at 03:26 PM.
Old 01-07-05, 10:58 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Jadzia

I loved Peter Dinklage and his line about Interpol: "They're a Joy Division rip-off." And then Dino asking "Who?"
That whole crying/I'm trapped scene was awful. I hope he was supposed to be faking it.

Peter Dinklage was great (as always). Hope his character is recurring. Too bad Dino didn't have the knowledge to reply, "But they are better than Joy Division."

Jonathan and Deb's cousin got on my nerves. Actually, the cousin scared me - something about her over-done look and awful voice. Just too creepy.\

And I hope Ms. Young comes back in some capacity.