Reload this Page >

Matango: Attack of the Mushroom People

DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Old 01-06-05, 07:18 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

DVDEmpire has this listed as a March 15 release. I've never seen this one, but it's supposed to be so bad it's hilarious, like Plan 9 and Killer Shrews.
Old 01-06-05, 09:34 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

This is an awesome Japanese "monster" movie. Finally I can retire my worn-out taped-off-late-night-TV VHS! (BTW, it's much better than Killer Shrews, which I also love).
Old 01-06-05, 10:13 AM

I really like this film. Call me crazy, but I don't think it can be classified as a bad film at all. It's very effective. Of course the American marketing put this into Drive-in triple-bill fare I'm sure, but it's not a "bad" film at all.
Old 01-06-05, 10:36 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,793 Likes on 1,121 Posts
This is a rare gem and a cult fave/classic. I can't believe it's finally coming to dvd!

My ex-wife freaked out after seeing this flick when she was younger. She hates mushrooms now and she won't eat anything with them to this day. I know when I saw it as a child it made my skin crawl and still does.

Last edited by Giantrobo; 01-06-05 at 10:40 AM.
Old 01-06-05, 11:51 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 70 Likes on 47 Posts
Originally Posted by wago70
I really like this film. Call me crazy, but I don't think it can be classified as a bad film at all. It's very effective. Of course the American marketing put this into Drive-in triple-bill fare I'm sure, but it's not a "bad" film at all.
I agree. The name "Matango:The Fungus of Terror" or "Attack of the Mushroom People" makes it sound silly, but it was not badly done at all. Kind of like "Incredibly Strange Creatures who stopped living etc etc." That was a pretty well made low budget movie. I don't think you'll find Matango hilarious like "Plan 9" or "From Hell It Came", about the vicious attack tree that looks like it escaped from a Saturday morning Sid & Marty Krofft show and moves at 1 MPH.
Old 01-06-05, 12:11 PM

ive asked before elsewhere, but i am sure ive heard this was a long-banned film in japan... rememeber, magic mushrooms were legal in japan until fairly recently (explains alot)...
Old 01-06-05, 04:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2,189 Likes on 1,494 Posts
Originally Posted by logboy
ive asked before elsewhere, but i am sure ive heard this was a long-banned film in japan... rememeber, magic mushrooms were legal in japan until fairly recently (explains alot)...

Interesting, I've never heard that. At what point was it banned? It had a Japanese theatrical release back in the sixties, and I'm pretty sure it had a video and LD release in the 80's. I have a book that covers all the Toho SF films, and it has a whole section on Matango, but it's in Japanese, so it would take me a while to get through.
Old 01-07-05, 04:28 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I've heard the reason it was banned was not because of the mushroom thing, but because the makeup used in the film was too reminiscent of victims of fallout from the bomb drops at the end of WWII. Don't know which story is true.

And I will NEVER let anyone say it's a bad film. It's EXCELLENT.
Old 01-07-05, 05:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 237 Likes on 149 Posts
Cool flick, and certainly not low grade cheese. Any specs yet?
Old 01-07-05, 10:48 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 27 Likes on 18 Posts
This one scared the crap out of me as a kid.
Not sure if I want to relive those feelings, but at least now I
have a choice!
good news
Old 01-08-05, 11:14 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 237 Likes on 149 Posts
Amazon is listing it as dubbed and subbed with no mention of aspect ratio. Another Tokyo Shock release from Mediablasters.
Old 11-07-07, 12:27 PM

Here is the short story The Voice In the Night that inspired the film.

I believe there is a British film, made in the 50s or 60s, that was loosely based on another of William Hope Hodgson's stories, The Boats of the "Glen Carrig". The film had an asortment of bizarre creatures coming out of the sea. Anyone knows the title of it?

Last edited by Terri; 11-07-07 at 12:44 PM.