Best Sellers
The Longest Day
Buy: $54.99 $24.99
DVD Blowouts
Alien [Blu-ray]
Buy: $19.99 $9.99

PDA
DVD Reviews

View Full Version : Sleeping and shower just after eating, is it bad?

eedoon
01-06-05, 02:04 AM
I heard some talk on the radio some times ago that you shouldn't sleep or go to shower right after your meals but I forgot what's the reason is. iirc it affect your metabolism in some way, although I can't recall exactly what it is. Is it true? I know it's kinda silly but I'm curious.

costanza
01-06-05, 02:08 AM
you should wait a half hour after you eat to take a bath. you don't want to cramp up and drown.

Bacon
01-06-05, 02:12 AM
-screwy- I think you're thinking of not swimming after eating.

Mole177
01-06-05, 02:27 AM
well sleeping after eating is bad for sure. thats why it's said to eat earlier in the night.

no movement for the food to digest. although there are muscles in the abdominal area to move the food, it just isnt enough imho.

dont know if there is any proven fact out there, but just the feeling of sleeping on a full stomach doesnt sound too good. full stomach and rest in front of the comp or tv is awesome though.

FinkPish
01-06-05, 02:59 AM
well sleeping after eating is bad for sure. thats why it's said to eat earlier in the night.

no movement for the food to digest. although there are muscles in the abdominal area to move the food, it just isnt enough imho.

dont know if there is any proven fact out there, but just the feeling of sleeping on a full stomach doesnt sound too good. full stomach and rest in front of the comp or tv is awesome though.
This is completely wrong. You don't have to be moving after you eat in order to digest food. If that were true, then everyone who worked a desk job wouldn't be able to digest their food, because they are sitting at their desk right after lunch. It isn't about the "muscles in the abdominal area," it's about how the body processes the food.

Sleeping after you eating will definitely affect how quickly and effeciently your body processes the food. If you take a walk and burn some calories right after eating, the food will be less likely to be turned into fat. If you rest (or sleep) after eating, the body will more likely store the food as fat for later.

I've never heard anything about showering after eating.

Jackskeleton
01-06-05, 03:45 AM
I recall that it was sleeping right after showering because you would go to sleep with a wet head and thus get sick.

But that's old wives tails.

Giantrobo
01-06-05, 04:53 AM
But that's old wives <i>tails<i/>.

MILF's? :eek::up:

Crazie
01-06-05, 06:06 AM
I recall that it was sleeping right after showering because you would go to sleep with a wet head and thus get sick.

But that's old wives tails.

Either that or wake up with your hair sticking up all over the place and THAT is not an old wives tale. LOL

Trigger
01-06-05, 06:11 AM
maybe you shouldn't shower after you eat because then later you'll have to take a dump and it renders all that time spent cleaning your anus a waste.

dyevin
01-06-05, 08:17 AM
I heard some talk on the radio some times ago that you shouldn't sleep or go to shower right after your meals but I forgot what's the reason is. iirc it affect your metabolism in some way, although I can't recall exactly what it is. Is it true? I know it's kinda silly but I'm curious.

i don't know about how a person's metabolism is affected, but i know if i eat within an hour of going to bed i wake up super hungry and weak/light-headed.

Mopower
01-06-05, 08:38 AM
maybe you shouldn't shower after you eat because then later you'll have to take a dump and it renders all that time spent cleaning your anus a waste.

Only for you.

mndtrp
01-06-05, 09:27 AM
That's why I multitask. I'll get a nice lasagna or beef brisket, hop in the bathtub, and pass out in the middle of it all. No worries.

Of course, I can't do this while taking a shower, as my poll showed that I cower in the corner waiting for hot water.

Otto
01-06-05, 09:54 AM
I have no idea why showering after eating would be bad. It makes no real difference basically.

Sleeping after you eat will lower your metabolism and make you turn more of the food into fat, since you're not burning it off.

However the big reason not to sleep after you eat is simply that most people sleep lying down. While it's not a well proven thing, there is a statistically significant difference in gastrointestinal problems for people who tend to lie down after eating vs. people who don't. It's not been shown to be totally related, just that an association exists.

Bit of searching finds this article: http://64.233.167.104/search?q=cache:q34ikrp53UoJ:www.medscape.com/viewarticle/491505

Trigger
01-06-05, 02:59 PM
Only for you.
so you keep digested food in your bowels until the following day? Oh, don't tell me you think some toilet paper is gonna clean your ass as good as soap and scrubbing...

krkuhl
01-06-05, 03:02 PM
i have no idea about the reason behind it. my guess wold be that your heartrate and metabolism slow down at night, thus slowing digestion. this, coupled with laying down can cause problems. i know when i eat before going to bed, i used to have problems with my food coming back up in the night and would always have a horrible sour taste in my mouth as well as extreme nauseas to the point of gagging.

as for the shower, the only thing i can think of is that showering causes vasodilation from the hot water thus maybe less blood to the gut? just a theory, no clue if its true.

eXcentris
01-06-05, 03:05 PM
If you're that much of a slob that have to take a shower after you eat, you have issues. And I'm never inviting you over for dinner. :)

kgrogers1979
01-06-05, 05:32 PM
What about eating WHILE you shower?

DoogieHowser
01-06-05, 05:41 PM

-rotfl-

is it really that big of a job?

criptik28
01-06-05, 06:09 PM

Peristalsis in the gut helps move/digest the food. Abdominal muscles aren't really involved.

Just Lurking
01-06-05, 11:22 PM
so you keep digested food in your bowels until the following day? Oh, don't tell me you think some toilet paper is gonna clean your ass as good as soap and scrubbing...

Think I would rather do a good job wiping with toilet paper instead of waiting for a good scrubbing with soap.

Fok
01-06-05, 11:37 PM

I shower at night and I'd rather not shit just after taking a shower, you kinda lose the clean feeling.

MasterCXtreme
01-07-05, 12:13 AM
I think it's: don't brush your teeth 24 hours before seeing the dentist...

Tracer Bullet
01-07-05, 12:23 AM
I think it's: don't brush your teeth 24 hours before seeing the dentist...

Speaking of which, I've never understood people that brush their teeth before eating breakfast. It makes no sense.

shoppingbear
01-07-05, 01:01 AM
my guess wold be that your heartrate and metabolism slow down at night, thus slowing digestion. this, coupled with laying down can cause problems.
Yeah, I had a gastro-enterologist (digestive system) doctor tell me this once, that it slows digestion so if you have any digestive system problems, it can make them worse.

Also, a sleep doc told me that it makes you sleep more lightly, not rest as deeply, because the process of digestion keeps your body too busy to really fall into the deepest sleep. :shrug:

kgrogers1979
01-07-05, 02:21 AM

http://www.april-fools.us/merchandise/fanny-flossBig.gif

http://www.joe-ks.com/archives_mar2001/FannyFloss.jpg

Fok
01-07-05, 12:02 PM
Speaking of which, I've never understood people that brush their teeth before eating breakfast. It makes no sense.

I brush before I eat breakfast, the way I see it, I don't want to swollow all that plaque and stuff that has formed over night.

eedoon
01-08-05, 11:31 PM
I guess that makes sense, if you don't brush your teeth before going to bed. I believe if you brush your teeth before sleep there would be only little plaque forming.

Trigger
01-09-05, 12:06 AM
Ooh! My favorite brand of ass floss is on sale! Must buy!