Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

Freezing up

DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Freezing up

Old 01-05-05, 12:44 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Freezing up

I've been encountering this problem more and more. I'm talking about DVDs that "freeze up" on you.Ii'm watching a DVD and then it freezes up, gets stuck on an image. Sometimes I can forward it to the next chapter or sometimes the entire rest of the DVD from that point is "stuck" and unplayable. Amd I've tried different DVD players, the problem still occurs.

I once went through four different DVD copies of Where Eagles Dare with the same problem. Everytime I exchanged it, the same problem would occur at the same place.

What's going on here? I can't be the only person going through this.

SM
Old 01-05-05, 01:11 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Location: In a small pocket universe hoping to someday become a Moderator Emeritus at DVDTalk.com!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
While this happens occasionally to me, it never has been a persistent problem (and I have 4 players).

I either reboot the machine or clean this DVD. Try cleaning the DVD and looking for obvious defects.
Old 01-05-05, 03:36 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

How old are your players? Which brands did you purchase? Early Panasonic players and Toshiba models were notorious for freezing, pixelating...
Old 01-05-05, 03:39 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
What type of DVD Player do you have? Have you try playing the DVD on a different player and see if the problem persist? I have several DVD players (2 Sony, 1 Toshiba, 1 Onkyo, 1 PC). And when I notice problem on one player, I would try it on another player. Sometimes problem only on a specific player, sometimes problem on all players. Then I know if it's the DVD that's causing the problem.
Old 01-05-05, 03:49 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

This sounds like a player problem. Just try a different player. I haven't had many disc problems at all. I've only had one bad disc.