Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

Cassette/Audio tape

Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Cassette/Audio tape

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-05, 08:10 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cassette/Audio tape

I wonder if anyone here still collecting cassette/audio tape?

For whatever reasons
Old 01-04-05, 08:53 PM

Don't collect them, but will buy if they are cheap enough (like at a yard sale). Still have a vehicle here with a cassette player only, and my car has CD/cassette player.
Old 01-04-05, 10:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,410 Likes on 1,033 Posts
Same here, I picked up some audiobooks last summer (Clancy, Dilbert) but since I got my XM, they're pretty much collecting dust.
Old 01-04-05, 10:17 PM

You'll be surprised that some people actually collecting cassettes... Not about sound quality of course... but for some other reasons...
Old 01-05-05, 02:41 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I have a friend who insisted on buying all of her music on cassette for years. Drove me crazy. She claimed she couldn't tell the difference in quality and so why should she change? Duh. If only for the reason that you don't have to wait 10 mins. to rewind to your favorite song only to miss it altogether and have to fast forward another 3 minutes.

Anyways....A few years back I told her that one day she would not be able to buy new music on cassette. Nope, she still bought brand new music on cassette. I even bought her her first CD boombox. No dice. It wasn't until all of the B&M's finally phased cassettes out that she finally gave in.

Now, I'll buy really, really, cheap used cassettes of like old music that I would buy on CD. You know, pick up that Milli Vanilli or Robbie Nevil, but that's it.
Old 01-05-05, 06:12 PM

Your friend should be able to get new albums on cassette from eBay. There are some Asian sellers who actually sell that. Think U2 new album, yes, it was released officially in cassette format there.
Old 01-05-05, 06:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
What in the hell is a cassette?
Old 01-08-05, 08:20 AM

Ahh! Magnetic media!

I've got about 300 cassettes. I used to have about 800 before switching to cd around 1990 (late bloomer), and have upgraded most of my stuff to cd (collection currenltly at 1,700 cds). Most cassettes I have now are things that I haven't been able to find on cd; things like Operation Starfleet by Brian May with Eddie Van Halen, and stuff like that.
Old 01-09-05, 02:53 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I gave all my cassette tapes to the thrift shop a couple years ago. Most of them I upgraded to on CD. I kept about 25 tapes of indy and local and glam metal stuff that was never made on CD. someday I'll burn them on CD...
Old 01-09-05, 05:50 PM

anyone looking for any particular cassette at this moment?

Old 01-10-05, 08:02 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
I haven't bought a new one in ages, but I would for singles or rarities. I still have all 300 or so of mine, but would probably weed a bunch out if it were worth it (which it probably won't ever be again).
Old 01-10-05, 01:54 PM
Mod Emeritus

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
na-noo : further poorly-disguised self-promotion WILL result in account termination

[....]DVD Talk is a private membership organization, NOT a public forum. Membership to DVD Talk is predicated on your ADHERENCE to the rules and policies detailed below. Failure to abide by these rules will result in the closure of your forum account and an end to your Membership on the site.[....]YOUR MEMBERSHIP TO THE DVD TALK FORUM IS ALSO PREDICATED ON YOUR ADHERENCE TO THESE RULES. If you violate any of these rules your account will be suspended and you may be permanently banned from membership at our discretion:[....]ABSOLUTELY NO:
• Posting of any form of advertising including: URL's with affiliate codes, referrer tags, tracking numbers or anything which actively promotes a site or company[....]
• Promoting links to and Ebay auction or other auction site (this is considered advertising) [....]
NOTE: If you post advertising or promotions for your company or a company you work for or pose as a consumer discussing your product you will be charged for advertising on DVD Talk and hereby agree to pay in full and advertising fee for your posts up to $2,000.