Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Letting people borrow DVDs?

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-05, 09:22 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Letting people borrow DVDs?

Do you ever let people borrow DVDs? I do not.
I've lost three (it was a box set, actually) because my brother didn't ask me if his friends could borrow them, so one day when I wasn't at home, he lets them borrow one, and I haven't seen the DVDs in a YEAR or more.

My brother friend's mom called over here and keeps asking to borrow some DVDs that I KNOW she'll either: scratch, misplace, keep, or sell for money..

Her son is one of them that misplaced a DVD he borrowed.
I never let people borrow DVDs.
I spent too much money on my collection (over $600) to hand them out.

Buying them individually (the ones I lost) would cost $19.99 + tax + shipping and handling online each.

Last edited by supersonicx; 01-03-05 at 09:35 PM.
Old 01-03-05, 09:25 PM
Suspended

So can I borrow your Clerks X box set?
Old 01-03-05, 09:29 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I never lend.

It's too stressful.
Old 01-03-05, 09:36 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
I have a strict rule of no lending whatsoever. My roomate who lives in a separate section off of the house is not even allowed to take my dvds to his room.
Old 01-03-05, 09:38 PM

Ah, I forgot. My brother has also taken two DVDs and traded them in at Blockbuster to get money to buy himself a game.
I was not happy when he had a new PS2 game and I noticed a "gap" in my collection.
Old 01-03-05, 09:38 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

One person borrowed my Donnie Brasco DVD and the case and artwork was chewed up by his dog. NO More DVD loans to him.

Another person I still loan DVD's (Sopranos and Band of Brothers among others). I kind of tell him how much they will cost if one of them has fingerprints or scratches on any DVD's! I also don't loan out the DVD's in the original cases due to the the Artwork that was chewed on in my earlier generosity. I use old Amary, from Blockbuster, cases for loans now.
Old 01-03-05, 09:39 PM
Premium Member

Received 694 Likes on 464 Posts
I've let friends and co-workers borrow many times. Never had a problem, never even gave it a second thought.
Old 01-03-05, 09:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 361 Likes on 304 Posts
I only lend out my movies to my girlfriend and my family. I have had too many incidents with DVDs and or CDs for that matter, when they have come back in terrible condition after being borrowed.

I know it is not everyone, but some people tend to treat things that aren't theirs like crud.
Old 01-03-05, 09:42 PM

I usually only let people borrow DVDs if they're in close proximity, ie. neighbors in the dorms last year, my roomates in my apt now. I once let a cousin borrow Gladiator and I didn't get it back for 4 months, not like I thought he was gonna keep it, but I just like to lend and have it right back, so I don't do that anymore unless they're around.
Old 01-03-05, 09:49 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Since all of our friends and family live about1500 miles away, the situation has never come up.

Stew

Last edited by spartanstew; 01-03-05 at 09:53 PM.
Old 01-03-05, 09:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

on occasion...but if i do, i usually trade for one of theirs....just for the insurance.......You should tell her you will loan her one when you recieve back your box set
Old 01-03-05, 09:55 PM

Originally Posted by Cameron
on occasion...but if i do, i usually trade for one of theirs....just for the insurance.......You should tell her you will loan her one when you recieve back your box set
exactly! you always have to take one of theirs, one of their best... I do it just so I don't forget that they have mine, and if they lose mine I will "misplace" theirs.
Old 01-03-05, 10:33 PM
Cool New Member

im so anal about my dvd and cd collection...i believe that no one will treat my dvds with the care and respect that i treat them...so i wont lend them out....actually..i dont like anyone to even touch/look/breathe on them.....lol
Old 01-03-05, 10:38 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I let my close friends borrow DVDs all the time, it's one of the reasons I don't buy a lot of other Region DVDs b/c I like to share my DVDs w/ my friends, & b/c I have different taste then most, I looks turning other people on to something different.

My friends all know how anal I am & if I didn't trust them I wouldn't lend them out.

I'm anal as well, so I can understand where everyone here is coming from, but I find it pretty funny/weird the lack of trust they have for their friends & family.
Old 01-03-05, 10:38 PM
Fok
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I never lend them out, its just not worth it. Now that my collection has grown, I have to find a place hide them so visitor don't ask.
Old 01-03-05, 11:40 PM

Sure, why not.

I let my friends, co-workers, etc take whatever they want, and never had any issues.

If I can't trust, or respect my friends, they wouldn't be my friends.
Old 01-03-05, 11:43 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by asianxcore
I know it is not everyone, but some people tend to treat things that aren't theirs like crud.
I think there are a lot of people who treat their own stuff like crud.

There are very few people I will lend movies to anymore just because it always seems to take so long to get them back. I've never had a problem with someone scratching or otherwise harming a disc I've loaned them (or the case/artwork, etc.)
Old 01-04-05, 12:21 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
I very, very rarely loan out my DVDs because most people don't have the same kind of protocol as I do when handling discs. A guy that used to live with us sometimes would have his friends over, and they'd spend the night in the living room, where my DVD player and discs were. They never asked for my permission to use any of this because they thought it was his stuff. They scoured through the collection, leaving things out of order or misarranged. And instead of putting the discs back properly in the cases, they would simply put it on a table, on top of the TV, etc., and go to another disc. They left me a bunch of scratched up discs. The aforementioned guy did pay me back for the damages, but I was too furious about the whole thing to the point where I felt NO ONE should get ahold of my DVDs.

Whenever I sell or trade-in my DVDs at stores, I can't help but grit my teeth in horror to see how clerks handle discs that are in pristine condition before I go into the store, but when they decide they don't need certain titles and hand them back to me, the discs are no longer perfect. Why do they have to grab the discs like hamburger patties?
Old 01-04-05, 12:30 AM
Cool New Member

Loaning DVDs.

Yeah, I wouldn't loan them out, mostly because people don't care. The DVDs aren't theirs, so they won't take care of them like one of their own. Have you ever seen a scratch free rented DVD? I mean people pay money to borrow them, but they are all scratched, have food spilt on them and greasy fingerprints. So I doubt most people would take care of a DVD that they borrowed for free. I have this friend who wanted to borrow my DVDs, but I didn't trust her because other things I've leant to her in the past, took forever to get back. She swears she'd take care of them, but I've seen some of her cds when I'm over and they are all scratched to hell.

Also people think DVDs are indestructable and that scratches and fingerprints are no big deal. But I try to explain to them that the laser has to read the disk that is clean and free of scratches to play properly. If they don't get it, I say it's like trying to see out of a pair of glasses (your eyes being the laser)that are fogged, dirty, scratched and fingerpints all over the lenses. Gee, do you think you could see things well with lenses like that?
Old 01-04-05, 12:39 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Tempermentalist
im so anal about my dvd and cd collection...i believe that no one will treat my dvds with the care and respect that i treat them...so i wont lend them out....actually..i dont like anyone to even touch/look/breathe on them.....lol
LOL, same here!
Old 01-04-05, 12:45 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
I loan out my DVDs to close friends and family. Before I lend something to someone, I show them how to hold a DVD and make sure that they know that they need to either have the DVD in the case or in the DVD player.

I have had some scratched and those ppl can no longer borrow.
Old 01-04-05, 01:08 AM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Well, I obviously loan out my DVDs to people I trust and see often. I have never had an issue under these circumstances.
Old 01-04-05, 01:17 AM

If I do decide to lend them out, I keep a list of the DvDs out with the person's name b/c sometimes they have them for so long that I forget who has what. Ive only had one casualty. I lent my friend my copy of Taxi Driver, and have yet to see it in like 3 years. And now with both of us away from home at college, I doubt Ill ever get it back.
Old 01-04-05, 02:25 AM

I only lend to close friends, thankfully I dont have a lot so I can keep track easily lol. I normally keep a pen and paper handy just in case. I'm anal too, sometimes when my friends are looking at inserts and discs I actually flinch if they dont put them back carefully.
Old 01-04-05, 02:59 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Fok
I never lend them out, its just not worth it.
Exactly! I've had a lot of problems in the past lending out things/money to friends (or so I thought ). One day after thinking about it for awhile, I decided that the joy I get from a "successful" lend is very minute compared to the stress caused by an "unsuccessful" lend. So I agree with Fok, as far as I'm concerned it's just not worth it. The only exception I make is for my oldest brother (the one that DIDN'T kick my ass when I was young). I let him borrow one movie/set at a time. If the last one is returned in good condition - he gets to borrow another one.

Another problem is that even if I could somehow possibly be 100% sure that all borrowers would be super responsible with my discs... it still makes my collection look bad with all those gaps on the shelves. All my DVDs are in nice bookcases in alphabetical order with every shelf full. I've put a lot of time/effort/money into getting it like that, and I'd like to keep it that way!

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.