Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Questions about wireless gaming...

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-05, 09:01 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,074 Likes on 650 Posts
Questions about wireless gaming...

I currently have a linksys wireless-B router and am using a linksys wireless-B gaming adapter. I use them for my Xbox Live gaming.

I am trying to decide whether it would be a good decision to switch to wireless-G products or if it would make a difference at all. I am not really having any problems other than the occasional lag but that could be due to others playing and not my connection. I can host games without any problems. I was just curious if it really makes any difference since the Linksys, Best Buy, etc. are all pushing "G" products.

I bought the G router for approx $35 after rebates (but it can be returned) but the G gaming adapter is around $80 so it is not necessarily super cheap to change.

I am just looking for informed opinions as I don't really have much knowledge regarding the wireless stuff. What do you guys use out there?
Old 01-03-05, 09:21 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Location: Austin, Texas XboxLIVE Gamertag: Golucky Timezone: Central (CST)
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
IMO, you will not see a "speed" benifit from switching since Internet gaming is made to use the smallest amount of bandwith possible, but you might see a increase in stability.
Old 01-03-05, 09:42 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by brianluvdvd
I currently have a linksys wireless-B router and am using a linksys wireless-B gaming adapter. I use them for my Xbox Live gaming.

I am trying to decide whether it would be a good decision to switch to wireless-G products or if it would make a difference at all. I am not really having any problems other than the occasional lag but that could be due to others playing and not my connection. I can host games without any problems. I was just curious if it really makes any difference since the Linksys, Best Buy, etc. are all pushing "G" products.

I bought the G router for approx $35 after rebates (but it can be returned) but the G gaming adapter is around $80 so it is not necessarily super cheap to change.

I am just looking for informed opinions as I don't really have much knowledge regarding the wireless stuff. What do you guys use out there?

Any lag would be due to your ISP connection rather than the wireless connection IMO, since the speed of a "B" connection on your LAN should still be faster than your ISP connection. Do you have anything else running on the same channel, such as a wireless phone, etc? Have you tried testing the speed of your connection to the internet on a wired connection vs a wireless connection? I have a B wireless router and only have a G wireless adapter because it was cheaper at the time, so I'm only talking B speeds and I have not experienced lag. You might also check for updated firmware, etc