Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Who leaves the shrink-wrap on their DVDs? [merged]

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-05, 11:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Who leaves the shrink-wrap on their DVDs?

This came up in another thread, but enough other people said they do it too, so I thought I'd give it its own thread.

All of my DVDs that come in digi-paks or boxsets still have the shrink-wrap on them to protect the packaging or cardboard. I just slice the end of the plastic open with a boxknife blade so I can get the disks out.

So, my LOTR: EEs, Star Wars Trilogy, Fight Club, Pulp Fiction, first two Harry Potters, etc., all still have shrink-wrap on them.

Who else?
Old 01-02-05, 11:33 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

used to with all my vinyl LP's....but not with dvds. looks a little tacky. I go one step better....and use plastic, resealable sleeves for added protection. my library looks very loved and this explains why my entire collection is in mint shape. these can be ordered on-line for about 6 cents each. I also have a buddy custom make a few for the oversized titles. I have over 1,400 protected now....am still working on the rest.
Old 01-02-05, 11:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by gutwrencher
I go one step better....and use plastic, resealable sleeves for added protection. my library looks very loved and this explains why my entire collection is in mint shape. I have over 1,400 protected now....am still working on the rest.
I'd like to see a picture of that. I'm picturing a bunch of DVDs in Ziploc bags.
Old 01-02-05, 11:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

used to with all my vinyl LP's....but not with dvds. looks a little tacky. I go one step better....and use plastic, resealable sleeves for added protection. my library looks very loved and this explains why my entire collection is in mint shape. these can be ordered on-line for about 6 cents each. I also have a buddy custom make a few for the oversized titles. I have over 1,400 protected now....am still working on the rest.

pic? Just want to see 1400 wrapped dvds

i agree this is the best way to protect the digi's...a good investment
Old 01-02-05, 11:41 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

hell, I don't even own a camera...just never seem to grab one. you may want to search for last years NY Times interview thread that I started. they came and took a few pics of the library for the paper, although the one they used was just before I started finally encasing them in the sleeves.

I'm picturing a bunch of DVDs in Ziploc bags.
it looks much better than that, trust me.

Last edited by gutwrencher; 01-02-05 at 11:44 PM.
Old 01-02-05, 11:42 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I tend to keep packaging for some things, but it never even occured to me to keep shrinkwrap.
Old 01-02-05, 11:52 PM
ruk
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Snowmaker
This came up in another thread, but enough other people said they do it too, so I thought I'd give it its own thread.

All of my DVDs that come in digi-paks or boxsets still have the shrink-wrap on them to protect the packaging or cardboard. I just slice the end of the plastic open with a boxknife blade so I can get the disks out.

So, my LOTR: EEs, Star Wars Trilogy, Fight Club, Pulp Fiction, first two Harry Potters, etc., all still have shrink-wrap on them.

Who else?

i do the exact same thing for my box sets and i though i was the only one.
Old 01-02-05, 11:59 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

hell, I don't even own a camera...just never seem to grab one. you may want to search for last years NY Times interview thread that I started. they came and took a few pics of the library for the paper, although the one they used was just before I started finally encasing them in the sleeves.

it looks much better than that, trust me.
Are these sleeves acid free like the ones they make for comics?

I'm considering practicing safe DVD collecting.
Old 01-03-05, 12:02 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by ruk
i do the exact same thing for my box sets and i though i was the only one.
you're not the only one
Old 01-03-05, 12:11 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by InnocentBlood
you're not the only one
I kept my STGP LE in wrapping, allowing access to the contents, but preventing the case from getting damaged.
Old 01-03-05, 12:23 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I try to keep mine in the shrink wrap, but most of the time I rip it more than I want to, so I end up taking it off anyway.

Last edited by cactusoly; 01-03-05 at 01:22 AM.
Old 01-03-05, 12:52 AM

I keep the wrap on my laserdiscs, but not on my DVDs.
Old 01-03-05, 01:24 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 82 Likes on 49 Posts
I've never done this until recently. A couple of years ago, I ordered the R3 Gamera Box Set used from Japan and it came with the shrink-wrap still on the whole of the box (leaving the space open for the DVDs to come out). I thought it was weird at first then thought "I really don't want this box damaged" because it was so damn cool.

Then I got the Definitive Twilight Zone box set and loved the way the outside box looked (The holographic look). I decided to not unwrap that portion to protect it (hopefully). Besides, there's the box within the box to hold the DVDs so if I want to see it unwrapped, I can always pull it out.

Andrew
Old 01-03-05, 01:35 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
I do the same thing. My box sets & digipacks all have the shrinkwrap still on them. It's an extra layer of protection and will at least prevent dust if nothing else.
Old 01-03-05, 06:10 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

i leave them on yes.
Old 01-03-05, 07:03 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,300 Likes on 944 Posts
I remove the plastic.
Old 01-03-05, 07:18 AM

used to with all my vinyl LP's....
Not a good idea leaving the shrink wrap on LPs as that will tend to cause some of them to warp. Best bet would be to get plastic sleeves that you can insert your LPs' packaging into that have enough room for movement. If interested, try a google search for "lp plastic sleeves" (sans quotes).
Old 01-03-05, 07:28 AM

I also do keep the shrinkwrap.
Old 01-03-05, 08:52 AM
Banned

I do not keep the shrinkwrap on, well, I mean, I keep them sealed until I watch them if thats what you mean?
Old 01-03-05, 08:54 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I rip it and trash it.
Old 01-03-05, 08:58 AM

I keep the shrinkwrap on all of my boxed sets and digipacks too.

It's nice to hear I am not alone.
Old 01-03-05, 09:06 AM

i do it too!
Old 01-03-05, 09:18 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by MarkAtHome
Not a good idea leaving the shrink wrap on LPs as that will tend to cause some of them to warp. Best bet would be to get plastic sleeves that you can insert your LPs' packaging into that have enough room for movement. If interested, try a google search for "lp plastic sleeves" (sans quotes).
Yep, I always purchased the plastic laserdisc sleeves from Ken Crane's back in the day. The shrink wrap, well, shrinks over time and begins to put pressure on the cover and disc, bending the corners. I've seen this quite a few times on new laserdiscs which I've purchased from Ebay over the past few years. I actually look for used LD's more than new now for that reason.
Old 01-03-05, 09:34 AM
MrE
DVD Talk Special Edition

As a former record collector i can say that shrink wrap continues to slowly shrink which it why it warped LPs. It will also eventually warp cardboard, labels, plastic, etc. I've bought older DVDs where the case plastic and label were "wavy" from this effect. Unless the shrink wrap is very loose, I'd advise you remove it and use acd-free plastic sleeves if you want additional protection.
Old 01-03-05, 09:42 AM
Banned

I don't know, without first seeing exactly what you guy's methods look like, this practice sounds kind of silly to me.

I'm also confused as to what you mean by keeping them on your digipacks. What sort of digipaks are you talking about? the 7-disc fold-out ones or what?

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.