Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

Is anyone intrested in the Greatest American Hero DVD ?

Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-05, 09:09 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

It's due out in Feb. or March I believe. I enjoyed watching the show way back in 1981 when it first came out, it was alot of fun, but if I get it it would be for nastalgic reasons only.
Old 01-02-05, 09:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Old 01-02-05, 09:23 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I used to enjoy all those early-'80s shows, like Knight Rider, A-Team, Airwolf, Greatest American Hero, but I'm afraid that they don't hold up all that well today and would only be watchable for nostalgic reasons. Hell, I just saw a advertisement for the first season of Quantom Leap, and it too is already starting to look dated.

Ironically, I'm saying this as I watch "Tour of Duty: Season 2". But that's supposed to look dated.
Old 01-02-05, 09:42 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

The nice thing about Quantum Leap is the fact that most(95%) are time period shows, i.e. he leaps into 1952. It's hard to make a show like that dated, at least in my opinion.

If I can find The Greatest American Hero used I may pick it up as I loved the show growing up. Heck, I might even pick it up new as it seems to be selling for less than $20 - good deal. - How many episodes are there going to be on this set???

Last edited by C_Fletch; 01-02-05 at 09:47 PM.
Old 01-02-05, 10:00 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by C_Fletch
The nice thing about Quantum Leap is the fact that most(95%) are time period shows, i.e. he leaps into 1952. It's hard to make a show like that dated, at least in my opinion.
Well true, but what I was referring to was Scott Bakula's youngness. Comparing his appearance then to his appearance now in ENT, he's aged quite a bit since QL.

Also, the sf/x are quite archaic to today's stuff... When did that show originally air anyway? Oh, OK, imdb shows from '89-'93. Well that explains it. No wonder it looks dated as I described. Also explains the cheesey '80s sounding theme song. Sounds like a reject song for Dallas.
Old 01-02-05, 10:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I was so excited awhile back to find that the Greatest American Hero was on the Action Network here since i loved it as a kid but i think i shoulda left those memories as they were cuz it didnt quite hold up over time.Remind me if the Six Million Dollar Man ever comes on to not watch it
Old 01-02-05, 10:10 PM

I would really like to see it again, but I know that they will butcher the soundtracks. One of my most vivid TV memories is watching TGAH and the episode starting with Rocketman by Elton John. The sun is setting and its burned in my brain, so if I hear they replace even one song, I'll not buy.
Old 01-02-05, 11:00 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

The theme song was very good - one I still remember to this day. I sure hope it made the cut...if not oh well, I'll still be buying this
Old 01-02-05, 11:05 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I pre-ordered it on Amazon - can't wait!
Old 01-02-05, 11:15 PM

I hope there's a lot of extras, cause it seems like a lot of discs for a half a season.
Old 01-02-05, 11:52 PM

Believe it or not, George isn't at home
Please leave a message at the beep
I must be out, or I'd pick up the phone
Where could I be?
Believe it or not, I'm not home

I grew up in the 80s, and on shows like Knight Rider, A-Team, Dukes of Hazzard, Fall Guy, Simon and Simon AND Greatest American Hero. I'll definitely give GAH a look when it comes out. Whether I buy it or not will depend on how many episodes there are, price and my bank balance that day.

Funny thing is, to now I have not run out and bought each release of my beloved childhood TV series. I haven't bought A-Team or Dukes. There being only 13 eps on the Dukes first season was a turn off.

But I did buy Quantum Leap Season 1, and was given Season 2 for Christmas. That show I think is still incredibly good.
Old 01-03-05, 07:43 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 324 Likes on 242 Posts
This is one of my all-time favorite TV shows. I'm looking forward to the DVDs, but am kind of wary, because I think a lot of the original music might be replaced due to copyrights. In the first season alone, the following songs played important roles in the episodes:

"Rocket Man"
"Space Oddity"
"Eve Of Destruction"

I think most of these were covers rather than the original artist (i.e. I don't think it was Elton John singing "Rocket Man"), so hopefully they will remain intact.
Old 01-03-05, 08:58 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I hade no clue this puppy was going to be released. Wooooooo Hooooooo!!!!
Old 01-03-05, 09:59 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Altimus Prime
Believe it or not, George isn't at home
Please leave a message at the beep
I must be out, or I'd pick up the phone
Where could I be?
Believe it or not, I'm not home

I grew up in the 80s, and on shows like Knight Rider, A-Team, Dukes of Hazzard, Fall Guy, Simon and Simon AND Greatest American Hero. I'll definitely give GAH a look when it comes out. Whether I buy it or not will depend on how many episodes there are, price and my bank balance that day.

Funny thing is, to now I have not run out and bought each release of my beloved childhood TV series.
Same here. While I used to watch a lot of late-'70s and '80s TV, before my first VCR in '86. With all the TV series that I used to watch then, the only series that I said I'd want back then on video someday was Star Trek: TNG. Mainly because I thought the LCARS displays were cool looking. Of course, TNG was one of the first series I got on DVD. The very first was Stargate SG-1.

The only other '80s series that I'd even remotely think about getting would be Miami Vice. I am collecting the late-'80s series "Tour of Duty" though.

Last edited by Mike Lowrey; 01-03-05 at 10:02 AM.
Old 01-03-05, 10:45 AM
Suspended

Come on - for the amazingly low price of 18-20 bucks (depending on which e-tailer you go with) how can you pass this up? I'm so there. Even better news? How about this tidbit:

Okay, we're counting down the last 37 days until the long-anticipated DVD release of The Greatest American Hero - Season 1, right? And what could be better than that?

How about news that the 2nd Season is already being planned out! Yes, the nice folks at Anchor Bay have sent out a tip-off that more DVDs are already being planned, and even told us when to expect them. Here's the heads-up:

Expect the second season of the show in mid 2005. Starring: William Katt, Connie Selleca, Robert Culp, Michael Pare

What could be simpler - and more exciting! - than that? We'll be all over this once the rest of the info gets announced, so stay tuned to this channel for more details.
Old 01-03-05, 11:28 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Shannon Nutt
This is one of my all-time favorite TV shows. I'm looking forward to the DVDs, but am kind of wary, because I think a lot of the original music might be replaced due to copyrights. In the first season alone, the following songs played important roles in the episodes:

"Rocket Man"
"Space Oddity"
"Eve Of Destruction"

I think most of these were covers rather than the original artist (i.e. I don't think it was Elton John singing "Rocket Man"), so hopefully they will remain intact.
Many shows of the same era used song covers like that. In the case of this show, they may be done by the guy who did the theme song.

I'm all over this set. I thought the back and forth between Katt and Culp was funny as hell.
Old 01-03-05, 11:42 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 603 Likes on 349 Posts
I liked the show when it was on, but I'm thinking that it's not gonna hold up for me. If the price is truely as low as people are saying, I may break down and get it, but I'm leaning towards not.
Old 01-03-05, 12:55 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 114 Likes on 82 Posts
I'm really looking forward to this because I was only able to catch some of the episodes years ago and I've never seen it in repeats on any of my channels. I really didn't think we'd see this on DVD anytime soon at least not until the rumored movie ever got made.

Here's hoping everyone with an interest supports this. I don't wanna see complaints down the road asking why Anchor Bay didn't release a 3rd season.

As for shows looking dated. Everything looks dated eventually. I don't care what era its supposed to be. You can always guess within a few years when the show was made, whether its the production values or the stock it was filmed on. It happens. It doesn't detract from the enjoyment if the characters and story are interesting. I'll take cardboard sets, string puppets and good writing over million $ CGI and unimaginative lazy scripts. Some of the greatest music I've ever heard was recorded in the 20's and 30's. It's mono its scratchy but its damn brilliant.
Old 01-03-05, 12:56 PM

Rated R?

Did anyone else notice that Amazon.com lists the set as Rated R? What is up with that?

I'm not sure I'll pick this set up either. I enjoyed the show as a kid, but I'm not confident I'd dig it today.
Old 01-03-05, 07:18 PM
Fok
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I won't be picking this up. Enjoyed it back in the 80's, but probably wouldn't find it too interesting now. Can you imagine that this guy tried out for Luke Skywalker?
Old 01-04-05, 01:59 AM

I was so excited awhile back to find that the Greatest American Hero was on the Action Network here since i loved it as a kid but i think i shoulda left those memories as they were cuz it didnt quite hold up over time.
I agree. I loved it as a kid and also saw it recently and it is very dated On the other hand I have bought the A-Team and Knight Rider Season 1 and still find them enjoyable
Old 01-04-05, 07:51 AM
Banned

Received 376 Likes on 295 Posts
Weren't half the pop-tunes in the show "covered" anyways? I remember this being the first show I watched remarking how the pop tunes were sung by another artist.
Old 01-04-05, 11:29 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 324 Likes on 242 Posts
Originally Posted by Fok
I won't be picking this up. Enjoyed it back in the 80's, but probably wouldn't find it too interesting now. Can you imagine that this guy tried out for Luke Skywalker?
You guys are really selling this show short. The special effects don't hold up, but the stories and acting sure do...this was one of the best written shows of the 80's. Katt and Culp are both quite entertaining in their roles.

That's it, that's all, that's the basic scenario!
Old 01-04-05, 01:16 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Location: WAS looking for My Own Private Stuckeyville, but stuck in Liberty City (while missing Vice City)
Originally Posted by Shannon Nutt
You guys are really selling this show short. The special effects don't hold up, but the stories and acting sure do...this was one of the best written shows of the 80's. Katt and Culp are both quite entertaining in their roles.

That's it, that's all, that's the basic scenario!
But....but....but....there's no CGI!

I'm in total agreement with you Shannon..
Old 01-04-05, 01:17 PM

For $18 at DDD, I'll definitely give this a try.

Hunter is also looking cheap enough to grab without much thought.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.