DVD Talk
How to tell a new neighbor not to pork his car in front of my house [Archive] - DVD Talk Forum

Best Sellers
The Longest Day
Buy: $54.99 $24.99
DVD Blowouts
Alien [Blu-ray]
Buy: $19.99 $9.99

PDA
DVD Reviews

View Full Version : How to tell a new neighbor not to pork his car in front of my house

damn_skippy
01-02-05, 01:53 AM
OK so my new neighbor has parked his old and busted minivan in front of my house for 3 days now. What is the right way to tell him not to park his cars in front of my house.

FinkPish
01-02-05, 02:01 AM
A couple of these and I think he'll get the point.
http://img57.exs.cx/img57/234/landminedodcloseup0lf.jpg

Cameron
01-02-05, 02:19 AM
ask nice...at the same time know that if he is parking on the street he has every right to do so. play nice

FinkPish
01-02-05, 02:19 AM
ask nice...at the same time know that if he is parking on the street he has every right to do so. play nice
:thumbsup:

Gallant Pig
01-02-05, 02:20 AM
When I Was Parking My Car In Front Of Our House The Police Came And Ticketed It For Leaving It There For Too Long. Check To See If Your City Has Similar Codes.

Kthxbye

FinkPish
01-02-05, 02:20 AM
Apparently it's all or nothing with the shift key on these boards. ;)

msdmoney
01-02-05, 02:27 AM
When I was in college we had a next door neighbor that had "his spot" on the street in front of his house. If you parked there he left notes on your car. We didn't park there, because in the end it wasn't worth the headache to have him overly anxious to get back at us for parking in his spot, he was already bad enough about very small get togethers we had.

I would say be nice, but be understanding, nothing says he can't park there as he doesn't leave it there for too long (most cities have ordinances).

damn_skippy
01-02-05, 02:29 AM
I know its a public street and its his right but it just seems kind of low class.

Gallant Pig
01-02-05, 02:37 AM
No Really There Should Be A Statue That Says He Has To Move His Car Every So Often.

Giantrobo
01-02-05, 02:38 AM
I hate when that happens! When Ilived in LA the neighbor acroos the street would park their car in front of our house even when there was plenty parking in front of their house. I think they would drive on to the street and just park because they were too lazy to turn the car around and park on their side.

damn_skippy
01-02-05, 02:54 AM
No Really There Should Be A Statue That Says He Has To Move His Car Every So Often.

He can park it in front of his house for all I care but not in front of mine.

FinkPish
01-02-05, 03:13 AM
He can park it in front of his house for all I care but not in front of mine.
Is he preventing you from parking one of your vehicles there or are you just sick of seeing it there? I can't think of a delicate way to ask him if it is the latter. Part of having neighbors is dealing with dumb stuff like this from time to time.

Roto
01-02-05, 03:13 AM
What the pig is saying is that after the car has been parked on the street for a certain number of days, if never moved, it will be considered an abandoned or junk vehicle. This happened to my dad a long time ago. He had an old Mustang he was hoping to eventually fix up. It ran, but he hardly ever drove it, and eventually he got a ticket. Apparently somebody called it in. In this case it was the street sweepers, so he paid the ticket and continued leaving the Mustang where it was, but it was the first time anyone in my family had heard of such a law.

damn_skippy
01-02-05, 03:25 AM
Is he preventing you from parking one of your vehicles there or are you just sick of seeing it there? I can't think of a delicate way to ask him if it is the latter. Part of having neighbors is dealing with dumb stuff like this from time to time.

I agree.

I was thinking something like

"Hey brother you dont plan to keep parking your cars in front of my house do you?"

Or

"Hey my man your van doesnt leak oil does it?"

DVD Polizei
01-02-05, 08:10 AM
There's probably a "In Lieu Of Garage" statute, which is most likely a 30-day law.

Ask nice once. Ask firmly the second time. Have his car towed the 3rd time. You have a right to space in front of your place, and he needs to use his own space. It's common courtesy and if he doesn't understand that, then boo-hoo.

I'm sure his vehicle has a few note-worthy citations just waiting to be discovered--and cities around the country are very broke so they will be more than happy to fine the dumbass, so a nice call to the non-emergency police number and they will transfer you to Traffic--or they should anyway.

Sdallnct
01-02-05, 08:22 AM
We had that problem when we were trying to sell our house in Az. The guy across the street kept parking his rusty old car has been "working on" in front of our house. I asked once making up the excuse the post man couldn't put mail in our box. But all he did was pull forward a little. So then I told him we were trying to sell the house and could he not park there at all. He got all huffy and said it was a public street.

Well in our case of course it was a public street. But in Az we have very strict HOA's that include not parking any car overnight in the street. So, just called the HOA and that took care of it. I actually hated doing it as I really hate Az HOA's. And had I not been selling the house I probably would have been ok with it.

I agree with others. Be nice, tell them your visitors have had to park elsewhere, etc.

Sloth911
01-02-05, 08:25 AM
In PA it is ILLEGAL to park and un-inspected or un-insured car on a public street.

If that is the situation, I would call the police aask them to ticket the car.

You could always aske the guy to move it as well, but the police solution is the best IMO.

SFranke
01-02-05, 10:22 AM
Get a fake fire hydrant. When your neighbor parks in front, position the fire hydrant and telephone the police. When they leave a ticket on the car, take the ticket from the windshield and remove the fire hydrant. Continue doing this until the police have no choice but to tow the car away for too many unpaid parking tickets.

devilshalo
01-02-05, 10:31 AM
Call it in as an abandoned car. ;)

RevLiver
01-02-05, 10:38 AM
If it's not abandoned, still runs, has a valid inspection sticker, he drives it and just parks it there each day, then he has every right to park there as it is a public street.

TomOpus
01-02-05, 10:39 AM
Dear Neighbor.... meet my little friend...

http://www.army.dnd.ca/LFWA_HQ/Photos/EN2003-251-01D.gif

JoeyOhhhh
01-02-05, 10:41 AM
My father has been at odds with our neighbor for the past couple of years now. The neighbor insists on keeping all 3 of his cars on the street, because he doesn't want to keep his cars in the driveway as they make the house look less attractive.

With that, they are frequently parking in front of our house, and could use the space. My father point blank told him not to park there, and went even as far as too to tell him not to have the car that blocks his driveway to slightly spill over onto our side.

mllefoo
01-02-05, 11:01 AM
In California, you can leave a car on the street without moving it for 72 hours before it is red-tagged. Once it's red-tagged, it will be towed within a day or two.

I once had a next door neighbor who got her panties in a twist when anyone parked in front of her house. Hell, if your BUMPER was six inches over the property line on the street, she'd call the cops. Every time. We had company over on christmas eve, and they parked so their bumper was barely over the line (parked legally), and she had the cops over instantly.

DonnachaOne
01-02-05, 11:01 AM
Get a fake fire hydrant. When your neighbor parks in front, position the fire hydrant and telephone the police. When they leave a ticket on the car, take the ticket from the windshield and remove the fire hydrant. Continue doing this until the police have no choice but to tow the car away for too many unpaid parking tickets.http://www.mtv.com/shared/media/news/images/j/Jane_Thomas/sq-orange-punisher-artis.jpgMy God! It's GENIUS, I tell you!

glassdragon
01-02-05, 11:23 AM
So, why doesn't this guy park in front of his own house or driveway? I mean honestly not everyone has a nice car and wanting someone to move it just because it isn't a benz or bmw is kind of wrong. However if he can park in front of his own house then i do agree that he should. My point being that the type of car should not have even been brought up as it shoudln't matter what kind it is, only that he is in essence ivading your space.

nazz
01-02-05, 11:25 AM
I think the key here is that he said it was old and busted. I'd probably just wait a week and then call it in rather than talk about it because:

A) He's apparently a jerk or he wouldn't have done it.

B) If you talk to him and he's jerkish about it you then will have to call it in anyway and he'll know you did it.

Breakfast with Girls
01-02-05, 11:36 AM
I think the key here is that he said it was old and busted. I'd probably just wait a week and then call it in rather than talk about it because:

A) He's apparently a jerk or he wouldn't have done it.

B) If you talk to him and he's jerkish about it you then will have to call it in anyway and he'll know you did it.
He's going to know you did it anyway. Don't be a p****. Ask him nicely first.

DVD Polizei
01-02-05, 12:22 PM
So, why doesn't this guy park in front of his own house or driveway? I mean honestly not everyone has a nice car and wanting someone to move it just because it isn't a benz or bmw is kind of wrong. However if he can park in front of his own house then i do agree that he should. My point being that the type of car should not have even been brought up as it shoudln't matter what kind it is, only that he is in essence ivading your space.

I kind of disagree--but for a different reason. It's known that inoperable and dirty cars attract negative elements--i.e., more crime, to a given neighborhood. First, criminals will scout the neighborhood and look for cars that are always in the same position. Then, they target that vehicle. Next, they will target anything in the vicinity of that vehicle. I've seen this firsthand, and I have had a few cars towed because of this.

One example, was a VW Bus which was broken down, and some Tweakers used it as their lab. They could've set fire to the vehicle quite easily, and the fire would have spread to the near-by apartment complex.

Also, I'm not talking about vehicle thefts specifically, btw. I'm talking about weak targets for vandals and general criminals and drug users, who have nothing to do on a weeknight or weekend. You could park a nice car in a neighborhood, and, given the make and model, it would attract more vehicle thefts to that area.

I'd rather have a professional vehicle thief, than a Crackhead/Tweaker using the vehicle as their home.

Charlie Goose
01-02-05, 12:48 PM
I vote for talking to him. Welcome him to the neighborhood, then mention that it's customary for people to park in front of their own houses whenever possible. Don't be confrontational, be polite almost to the point of hat-in-hand. If he complies without a problem, you've got a good neighbor. If he pisses and moans, then you're probably going to have trouble with him the whole time you live together. Shoot him with a crossbow.

SFranke
01-02-05, 12:59 PM
http://www.mtv.com/shared/media/news/images/j/Jane_Thomas/sq-orange-punisher-artis.jpgMy God! It's GENIUS, I tell you!

I knew that gag was in a movie, but I couldn't recall which one. It sounded like an Axel Foley bit.

Trigger
01-02-05, 04:00 PM
"hey, I'm your neighbor over here... could you do me a favor and park your cars in front of your own house? thanks..."

if he complies, then good... if not, then call and have it towed as an abandoned vehicle.

Matthew Chmiel
01-02-05, 04:35 PM
I knew that gag was in a movie, but I couldn't recall which one. It sounded like an Axel Foley bit.
I personally believe putting a banana in his tailpipe would work better.

Jack Straw
01-02-05, 04:41 PM
If it's not abandoned, still runs, has a valid inspection sticker, he drives it and just parks it there each day, then he has every right to park there as it is a public street. Perhaps, but it still takes a lot of chutzpah to consistently park your vehicle if front of someone else's property. Is there usually parking available in front of your neighbor's house for him to use?

nazz
01-02-05, 04:44 PM
He's going to know you did it anyway. Don't be a p****. Ask him nicely first.

Again, this is a guy who moves into a new home and takes his rusty broken down POS van and plants it in front of a neighbor's house because he doesn't want it in front of his own. That speaks volumes about the way that he thinks. We'll probably have a neighbor's dog shitting in my yard thread soon.

Jack Straw
01-02-05, 04:47 PM
In California, you can leave a car on the street without moving it for 72 hours before it is red-tagged. Once it's red-tagged, it will be towed within a day or two.

I once had a next door neighbor who got her panties in a twist when anyone parked in front of her house. Hell, if your BUMPER was six inches over the property line on the street, she'd call the cops. Every time. We had company over on christmas eve, and they parked so their bumper was barely over the line (parked legally), and she had the cops over instantly.

For What? What was her beef?

Jack Straw
01-02-05, 04:59 PM
This thread strikes a chord in me. I used to live adjacent to a jack-ass that always parked his ugly truck entirely on my side of the property line, always. To boot, he left a dog in his backyard that would back non-stop all day and into the evening until he got home from work. I tried to work things out with the guy but he was just a cretinous human with no consideration for his neighbors

chente
01-02-05, 04:59 PM
Again, this is a guy who moves into a new home and takes his rusty broken down POS van and plants it in front of a neighbor's house because he doesn't want it in front of his own. That speaks volumes about the way that he thinks. We'll probably have a neighbor's dog shitting in my yard thread soon.

This is getting too complicated. I demand a diagram detailing the relative position of the houses, the respective vehicles and the potential dog pooping areas.

Gallant Pig
01-02-05, 05:01 PM
Does he use the car?

TomOpus
01-02-05, 05:11 PM
Do you have a friend with a rust-bucket they're not using? Park it in front of HIS place.

kvrdave
01-02-05, 05:30 PM
Probably nothing you can do besides talk to him if there isn't a HOA.

CRM114
01-02-05, 05:45 PM
At my old house, people would park depending on what direction they approached the block. Does this guy live across the street?

However, the FIRST day I moved in, the lady across the street rang my doorbell and asked me if that red car in front of her house was mine. It wasn't. I was pretty annoyed that the lady would choose that way of welcoming us to the neighborhood.

JMLEWIS1
01-02-05, 05:47 PM
I definitely vote for talking to him in person, or worse case, leave him a note. Calling the cops first is just passive aggressive and is kind of a crappy thing to do.

Our new neighbor chose to call the cops on us because our dog was barking one afternoon (while we went out for lunch) rather than letting us know so we could make sure it wasn't a problem again and I have to say, I haven't been able to stand the woman ever since then.

Gallant Pig
01-02-05, 05:54 PM
Bring over a six pack of beers and level with him.

mllefoo
01-02-05, 05:59 PM
For What? What was her beef?She was just a cranky old woman with no friends. She was also certifiably insane. The woman not only vacuumed her lawn, but she measured each blade of grass so they'd all be the same length, the garage floor was waxed to a high polish, and she yelled at kids who walked by her house. She had her face permanently planted against her livingroom window some days. She was a pretty freakish person.

Jack Straw
01-02-05, 06:04 PM
Alrighty then.

sdk
01-02-05, 08:06 PM

And you can start the conversation like this. You have just won the park in front of my house contest, here have a six pack.

glassdragon
01-02-05, 08:11 PM
Well as others have asked, i'm sure it would be relevant to the conversation if we knew whether it moves or not. I take back everything i said before if it doesn't ever get moved. If he uses it and has no other transportation then maybe there's not much he can do

damn_skippy
01-02-05, 08:32 PM
I took care of it earlier today. I talked to him and basically just asked him what was up with the van. It sounded like his mother or mother in law was lazy and kept saying they were going to move it but never did. The funny thing was that when she moved it she parked in front of someone else's house. Then the guy came out and yelled at her for parking it in front of someone else's house.

Atleast the guy knows not to park his cars in front of my house. ;)

nazz
01-02-05, 08:41 PM
I forgot to consider the lazy/crazy mother in law scenerio. You'd think I'd wise up to that one by now.

Jack Straw
01-02-05, 09:04 PM
Wow, glad to hear that it got resolved peacefully (it sounds like). More times than not, it becomes ugly.

damn_skippy
01-02-05, 09:13 PM
It all abut the way you present things or guide people. Plus he was also pretty cool about it.

Squirrel God
01-02-05, 11:03 PM
How to tell a new neighbor not to pork his car in front of my house.
Tell him he's a sick pervert? -eek-

atari2600
01-02-05, 11:23 PM
When I was in college we had a next door neighbor that had "his spot" on the street in front of his house. If you parked there he left notes on your car. We didn't park there, because in the end it wasn't worth the headache to have him overly anxious to get back at us for parking in his spot, he was already bad enough about very small get togethers we had.

I would say be nice, but be understanding, nothing says he can't park there as he doesn't leave it there for too long (most cities have ordinances).

what made that spot "his"?

resinrats
01-02-05, 11:50 PM
Tell him he's a sick pervert? -eek-

Just about to say the same thing! :D At least Pork it in on his own driveway. :D :D

Cameron
01-02-05, 11:57 PM
lets just hope your neighbors find this site and make their own peace

DVD Polizei
01-03-05, 12:13 AM

Yeah, right. Next thing you know, it's an American Beauty scenario. Never buy beer for a man you don't know. He just might like the beer, and he just might like you, too.

wabio
01-03-05, 12:25 AM
http://img10.exs.cx/img10/4170/pork2fd.jpg

msdmoney
01-03-05, 01:32 AM
what made that spot "his"?

Nothing really, we just complied because in the long run we didn't want to give him a reason to be more of a jerk to us.

Tandem
01-03-05, 05:27 AM
I have a neighbor that parks his pickup truck in front of my property. It's not an issue because he asked first if it was alright to do so and it's on the side of the house away from the driveway so I don't even notice it.

My neighbor across the street has a friend that parks in front of my house when he comes over to visit but it's nothing to get my feathers all ruffled up about. I park in front of his house whenever I have to do any work in my driveway.

Goldberg74
01-03-05, 09:32 AM
As we got home from church yesterday, my next door neighbors kid (probably 13) parked his new motorbike that he got for Christmas in my side yard behind the fence. He had also put their two trash cans over there with it. They have a boat and camper trailer and a myriad of trucks and other vehicles parked in front of their house 24/7 (he works for a car dealership), so I guess the kid couldn't find room.

So I politely walked over to their house and asked to see his dad. The kid said, "Is it about my bike?"

I replied, "Yes. It's parked on my side lawn."

He said, "That's not okay?"

Then his dad came up from behind, gave him the 'I'm-gonna-smack-you' look, and the kid promptly ran outside and moved the bike and trash cans.

Now when they move their boat in and out, they take out the front fence on their side and lean it up on my side, but I don't mind that, but my side yard is not an extension of their driveway.

PrincessT
09-26-05, 02:20 PM
Meh, my neighbors on either side park in front of our house (long enough for 2 cars) and I don't care. I think it irriates my husband, but the cars are always on the move, so what does it matter? The neighbor on the east side always parks there even though the spaces in front of their house are empty. All the time. I choose not to let it bother me. Got better things to get pissy about LOL.

CPA-ESQ.
09-26-05, 02:49 PM
Princess T how did you dig up a thread from the beginning of the year? :D

Nosmo Rex
09-26-05, 02:54 PM
Call it in as an abandoned car. ;)

This is a viable option, as I have done it. When we lived in NE Portland, the neighbor across the street would park his POS pickup in front of our house quite often. There were very few driveways in that part of town , so you had to park on the street. He parked on our side, because there were 2 other POS vehicles he owned on his side of the street. One of the had a flat tire, and one had expired plates. Portland has an abandoned vehicle hotline, so I gave them a call one Friday afternoon. When I came home from work on Monday, there were stickers giving 72 hours notice for towing. Sure enough, Thursday night, a tow truck came and hauled them away. Sweet justice.

WallyOPD
09-26-05, 03:56 PM
"hey, I'm your neighbor over here... could you do me a favor and park your cars in front of your own house? thanks..."

if he complies, then good... if not, then call and have it towed as an abandoned vehicle.

Looks like Trigger answered his own question!

PrincessT
09-28-05, 02:33 PM
Princess T how did you dig up a thread from the beginning of the year? :D
It's a mystery to me too. OK, new rule for me: No posting while sick!