Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

Tori Amos' "the Beekeeper" -- February 22nd

Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-05, 04:23 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Location: WAS looking for My Own Private Stuckeyville, but stuck in Liberty City (while missing Vice City)
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Tori's latest album, the Beekeeper, is to be released on February 22, 2005. It was recorded at Martian Engineering in Cornwall, England.

from ToriAmos.com:
On songs like "Sweet the Sting," "Sleeps with Butterflies," and "Ribbons Undone," Tori incorporates vintage organs, Afro-Cuban drums and Gospel choirs, working once again with longtime partners, drummer Matt Chamberlain and bassist Jon Evans.

Tori says, "The Beekeeper is musically inspired by the fact that the piano has realized that she has an organ - with my right hand on her organ and my left hand on her piano keys, I have been changed by the relationship between these two beautiful creatures, the Bosendorfer piano and the B3 Hammond organ."

The first single from the album, Sleeps With Butterflies, hits radio on January 10, 2005.

The Tracklist...

Parasol
Sweet the Sting
the Power Of Orange Knickers [featuring Damien Rice]
Jamaica Inn
Barons Of Suburbia
Sleeps With Butterflies
General Joy
Mother Revolution
Ribbons Undone
Cars And Guitars
Witness
Original Sinsuality
Ireland
the Beekeeper
Martha's Foolish Ginger
Hoochie Woman
Goodbye Pisces
Marys Of the Sea
Toast
It'll come in 2 versions, a regular one and one with special packaging.

From Tori's Store
Includes over 25 minutes of interview footage as Tori talks about the songs and their origins as well as a unique glimpse behind the scenes at the photo shoot for The Beekeeper. The Bonus DVD also features the bonus track "Garlands" set to exclusive content from Tori's book, Piece by Piece, including photographs and text. The Special Packaging also includes a seed packet with a wild flower mix prepared especially for The Beekeeper.
Old 01-01-05, 08:32 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Always nice to hear new stuff from Tori. Hopefully the cd/dvd combo will be priced really cheaply again like CC did for Scarlet Walk.
Old 01-01-05, 09:15 AM

I've heard a lot of good things about Tori Amos. I really love the song "Blue Skies" done with BT a few years back.

What CDs of hers should I start with?
Old 01-01-05, 11:11 AM

Hello, and Happy New Year to everybody...

"Little Earthquakes" is Tori's "first" album, and is an excellent introduction.
Old 01-01-05, 12:10 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Always nice to hear new stuff from Tori. Hopefully the cd/dvd combo will be priced really cheaply again like CC did for Scarlet Walk.
I just checked Amazon and all I saw was a version priced for $24.95. Hopefully there will be something cheaper available.
Old 01-01-05, 12:43 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Location: WAS looking for My Own Private Stuckeyville, but stuck in Liberty City (while missing Vice City)
I'm sure Best Buy or Circuit City'll have it cheaper the first week of release..

Anyone heard Sleeps With Butterflies yet? Love it, but I wanna hear more..
Old 01-01-05, 07:59 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Anything Tori does is worth giving a listen to.
Old 01-01-05, 08:46 PM

Originally Posted by Rogue588
I'm sure Best Buy or Circuit City'll have it cheaper the first week of release..

Anyone heard Sleeps With Butterflies yet? Love it, but I wanna hear more..
I heard it for the first time tonight. It reminds me (for some reason) of "Your Cloud" from the Scarlett's Walk album.

I'm excited about this release.
Old 01-01-05, 09:41 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Thanks for the notice. I wasn't aware this was coming out so soon.
Old 01-01-05, 10:48 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Originally Posted by BillSD
I heard it for the first time tonight. It reminds me (for some reason) of "Your Cloud" from the Scarlett's Walk album.
One of my favourite songs from SW. February 22nd isn't going to come soon enough..
Old 01-01-05, 11:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Can't wait
Old 01-02-05, 07:35 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I was really excited for this CD...until I heard Sleeps with Butterflies.

Zzzzzzz......

What an incredibly Adult Top 40 song! So dull, so middle-of-the-road. I really hope she hasn't mellowed even further, since I thought Scarlet's Walk was already getting a bit too diluted for my taste. Oiyo.
Old 01-04-05, 11:47 AM
Banned

SW was very diluted. I'm waiting for her to get back to Choirgirl which was easily her best album. Also a major fan of Venus.

Going to see her "concert" here in NYC next month.
Old 01-04-05, 01:18 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Originally Posted by digitalfreaknyc
Going to see her "concert" here in NYC next month.
Details, por favor...
Old 01-04-05, 01:21 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Details, por favor...

Ditto. I've been trying to find out any tour information and have come up empty. I missed her on the last tour since it had sold out by the time I found out about it.
Old 01-04-05, 05:14 PM

Originally Posted by Rogue588
Details, por favor...
DETAILS

For some odd reason they started selling the tix during the summer & stopped (maybe realizing the mistake??). I got lucked out & got tickets, but for balcony seats. The website states they will start selling tickets in January. I'm constanting checking for updates to try getting a bit closer.
Old 01-05-05, 09:30 AM
Banned

I got my tix the night they went on sale. Since I'm going alone, I got my single ticket right on the aisle in the 5th row I believe. If anyone is going and want to meet up, let me know. There will be an actual tour next year. It's confirmed.
Old 01-06-05, 06:28 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Like the new single. Tori's music has really matured. For the record, I thought SW was her best work and am hoping for more of the same from Beekeeper...
Old 01-07-05, 06:55 PM
Banned

Hoochie Woman has now leaked. I'm sure the rest of the album is soon to follow.
Old 01-16-05, 08:28 PM
Banned

For anyone interested, the whole album was leaked to the net last night. I'll give my review if anyone wants it. As a die-hard tori fan, can't wait to listen!
Old 01-16-05, 10:09 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

thanks for the heads up, dfnyc

now I know what i'll be playing on my show this week..
Old 01-16-05, 11:53 PM
Banned

Sounds good thus far.

The Damien Rice vocals on "knickers," however, need to be CUT with a capital "C." Good song without him fucking it up.
Old 01-18-05, 09:47 AM
Banned

Hate to say it but I've been struggling to listen to this album the last few days and it's a serious disappointment. The best songs on this album equal probably some of the worst songs on the last album. It just drags on and on and on. Rhythmically, it's just a mess. There are a few "good" ones but nothing great and as I said before, that duet is just horrible.

It's ridiculous how my very favorite artists have been going down the tubes as of late.
Old 01-18-05, 02:55 PM
Political Exile

Received 481 Likes on 317 Posts
I'm also a longtime fan that was disappointed with the mellow Scarlett Walk. I liked the direction she was going with singles like "Raspberry Swirl" and "Bliss" from the Choirgirl and Venus albums. I forgave the album of covers as a quick hack job, but I think I'll need to be open minded about the Beekeeper. I went ahead and preordered Beekeeper (to get the free poster) from sonymusicstore.com, with the SHOPVISA coupon, the deluxe version was $16. I added some SACDs to get the free shipping promotion too.
Old 01-19-05, 09:03 AM
Banned

I was listening to it with a friend last night. Be prepared for some serious blues/jazz/gospel on it. It's also very 70's sounding as well. That's what she picked up just from the songs I played for her. Funny, because I didn't like that style of music when it happened and even thought I adore tori, not really feeling it with her. There are a couple of songs that are really cute but at the same time, it all feels really unfinished. I feel like I'm listening to a CD full of demos or alternate takes.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.