Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

anyone know where i can find the complete kevin smith review of magnolia?

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Old 01-01-05, 01:00 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i know he repodily bashed it to death, but i looked on the view askew website and couldn't find it.
Old 01-01-05, 01:05 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i would like to read this.......
Old 01-01-05, 06:18 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post
I think he just posted what a piece of shit he thought it was on his message board and the New York Post and Entertainment Weekly ran with a story about it.
Old 01-01-05, 10:54 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Kevin Smith mentions it on his Evening With Kevin Smith dvd. Theres a funny bit when he talks about going to the doctor for a physical and seeing Paul Thomas Anderson in the waiting room. Apparently PTA was pretty nice to him despite knowing what Smith said about his film (Smith IS a big Boogie Nights fan, however).
Old 01-01-05, 07:21 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I couldn't find the exact text of what he said, but here is a small website that states some of his afterthoughts of saying it (1/16/00):

http://home.cwru.edu/~bcl3/

They sent me an Academy screener DVD this week. I'll never watch it again, but I will keep it. I'll keep it right on my desk, as a constant reminder that a bloated sense of self-importance is the most unattractive quality in a person or their work.
Old 01-01-05, 07:28 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Ah yes, if only Kevin Smith had 1/10 the talent of Paul Thomas Anderson.
Old 01-01-05, 07:32 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Can we make a huge list of all the people Kevin Smith has pissed off?
Old 01-01-05, 07:34 PM
Banned

They sent me an Academy screener DVD this week. I'll never watch it again, but I will keep it. I'll keep it right on my desk, as a constant reminder that a bloated sense of self-importance is the most unattractive quality in a person or their work.

Strong words from the maker of Mallrats and Jersey Girl.
Old 01-01-05, 10:07 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 362 Likes on 262 Posts
Originally Posted by Rivero

Strong words from the maker of Mallrats and Jersey Girl.
Holy SHIT! That actually CONFUSES me that he said that. Did he understand how hypocritical he was being? Was that just "tongue in cheek"? I don't understand!
Old 01-01-05, 10:13 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Received 1,856 Likes on 1,227 Posts
Originally Posted by troystiffler
Holy SHIT! That actually CONFUSES me that he said that. Did he understand how hypocritical he was being? Was that just "tongue in cheek"? I don't understand!
If you pick up the An Evening with Kevin Smith set, he comments on that whole thing a bit more. I don't remember specifically what he said, but he did mention that he ran into PTA later, and he was very cordial and didn't bring up that comment at all, making Kevin feel kinda like a dick.
Old 01-01-05, 10:21 PM
DVD Talk Hero

kevin made a few comments on either the deleted scene's of dogma or the technical track about how pta's ego prevented him from cutting any of the movie.
Old 01-01-05, 10:58 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally Posted by Rypro 525
kevin made a few comments on either the deleted scene's of dogma or the technical track about how pta's ego prevented him from cutting any of the movie.
Considering PTA did cut stuff out of that movie (including an entire character that Orlando JOnes played) perhaps he should check his facts before accusing people.
Old 01-02-05, 09:10 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 46 Likes on 28 Posts
Originally Posted by Adam Tyner
If you pick up the An Evening with Kevin Smith set, he comments on that whole thing a bit more. I don't remember specifically what he said, but he did mention that he ran into PTA later, and he was very cordial and didn't bring up that comment at all, making Kevin feel kinda like a dick.
I wonder if the Will Smith part in the lobby of Jersey Girl was based on his meeting of PTA. I for one like both Smith and PTA.
Old 01-02-05, 10:46 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by jaeufraser
Considering PTA did cut stuff out of that movie (including an entire character that Orlando JOnes played) perhaps he should check his facts before accusing people.
Yeah, people should just stop making funny jokes, they're inaccurate and imflammatory...
Old 01-02-05, 12:33 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Received 1,856 Likes on 1,227 Posts
One of the quotes from An Evening with Kevin Smith:

I was just curious, have you had...besides the whole round with Michael Eisner...have you had any confrontational experiences within the industry? Paul Thomas Anderson getting a little angry at your public bashing of Magnolia?

Not at all. I ran into Paul Thomas Anderson as I was getting my physical for Jay and Silent Bob Strike Back. Isn't it weird that...why's that funny?

I don't know.

'Cause you're like, "'You' and 'physical' should never be in the same..." No, when you're about to direct a movie, they make you take a physical because they have to insure the movie and they have to insure the director in case the director drops dead of a heart attack, if he smokes a lot, and eats really bad food. So I'm in there getting my physical, I haven't gotten it yet, I'm sitting there filling out the paperwork wondering if I'm going to have to drop trau to have my balls grabbed, wondering if I'll have to pay for it...or if he'll pay me. And I hear a guy go, "Kevin, hello," and I look, and it's PTA...Paul Thomas Anderson. I was like, "Hey man, how are you?" He was like, "Good. Good. What are you doing?" I was like, "Just getting my physical. What are you doing?" He said, "Getting mine." I said, "What are you shooting?" He said, "Movie with Adam Sandler." I said, "Oh, great." He says, "Good to see you", I say "Good to see you", and he left. And after he left, I was just like, "Oh my God. That was the motherfucker I bitch-slapped on the Internet." And he was so classy, you know? He didn't say anything about it. I wasn't even looking. The dude was behind me. He could have come up behind me with a fucking chair and been like...y'know? Nothing like, he was, "Hey, Kevin", and then hit me with a chair. Just so I could see it was him. That would've been my move. I would've been like, "Hey, Paul", if he said something about me. But he was real classy, and I thought that was really kind of cool. Then I felt bad for my comment, then I was like, "ugh, I shouldn't have said that."
Edited to add another, from an Easter egg on the first disc:

I was just wondering, when I saw Jay and Silent Bob Strike Back...

Didja?

Yeah. I saw it. I saw it in June! I saw a screening of it. Anyway...

So you saw it for free?

I saw it for free.

Rock on. Would you like to give me your seven fucking bucks now, please?

My question is this -- MagnoliaFan, was that because you actually hated the movie, or was that just...I was wondering if you beat up MagnoliaFan for a purpose.

Okay. Sit down. No, there was a very slow news day once upon a time a year or so ago, maybe a year and a half ago, where somebody asked me on the website what I thought of Magnolia. And being in kind of a particularly bitter mood that day, I spoke very honestly...perhaps a bit too honestly and compared it to root canal...amongst other things. A few weeks later, I opened up, like, "Entertainment Weekly", and there it was, like, "Kevin Smith and Paul Thomas Anderson won't be sitting at a table at the Indie Spirit Awards any time too soon." And I was like, "These motherfuckers don't think I'm going to get nominated for Dogma." Then I read further and realized it was about this, like, "the filmmaker had this to say, bitterly lashing out at Magnolia" and blah, blah, blah, and I was like, "Alright, take it easy. I don't know if I was bitterly lashing out." I was, but, you know what I'm talking about, push it like that. But because it was a slow news day, it got picked up in a few places. They like it when people fight. I forget, like the website, I always have this...vision of it as when it started where it was like me and twenty people talking about the movies I made, and now it's far larger than that, so I forget that sometimes you write shit, and it just gets out there, like people are reading the website who don't necessarily post to the website. So I always found that really weird, but yeah, a lot of the really hardcore Magnolia fans would come to the board and just spew bile, but spew it in a very reserved way, quite like Paul's films. I just found that very funny. Like, they don't come on and they're not just like, "fuck you, you cum-eater"...you know, and "fuck" is misspelled. They're not like that. They're just, like, you know, "I find it very ironic that you're so bitter considering that you could never be as talented a filmmaker as Paul." Like, a post where you just imagine they're wearing a smoking jacket. "Alfred, we'll take brandy in the other room now." Like, very erudite kind of posts compared to the negative shit I'm used to. So as a nod to that whole period, I threw that in there.
You guys owe me for doing all that transcription.
Old 01-02-05, 02:20 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

So I always found that really weird, but yeah, a lot of the really hardcore Magnolia fans would come to the board and just spew bile, but spew it in a very reserved way, quite like Paul's films. I just found that very funny. Like, they don't come on and they're not just like, "fuck you, you cum-eater"...you know, and "fuck" is misspelled. They're not like that. They're just, like, you know, "I find it very ironic that you're so bitter considering that you could never be as talented a filmmaker as Paul." Like, a post where you just imagine they're wearing a smoking jacket. "Alfred, we'll take brandy in the other room now." Like, very erudite kind of posts compared to the negative shit I'm used to. So as a nod to that whole period, I threw that in there.
Old 01-02-05, 02:27 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by DonnachaOne
Yeah, people should just stop making funny jokes, they're inaccurate and imflammatory...
except Kevin Smith was not making any jokes....he was just making mean comments about a film he didn't like......and since he did it in a public forum, he opened himself up to receive backlash from others who did not agree with opinions....and then continued to whine about it....
i remember thinking it was all quite hypocritical at the time when i first read the reposted comments at several places back when this was all first said and done...and looking back on it, i still do.
had another director talked shit about one of his new films publicly, and also attacked his character by calling him a self-important egomaniac, Kevin Smith would have had a stroke and whined about it for months and years.....he's done it with many celebrities, and quite childlishly, whom he feels slighted by in some way.

Last edited by garmonbozia; 01-02-05 at 02:29 PM.
Old 01-02-05, 02:42 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

had another director talked shit about one of his new films publicly, and also attacked his character by calling him a self-important egomaniac, Kevin Smith would have had a stroke and whined about it for months and years.....he's done it with many celebrities, and quite childlishly, whom he feels slighted by in some way.
Yep, I want a list. I've heard about a few, but I need a big list
Old 01-02-05, 04:09 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

It may have been hypocritical, but I also think it's somewhat human nature to be harder on others than on yourself. By that, I mean that if any one of us directed a movie, we're going to be far more sensitive to criticism of our work than we are when we criticize others.

Smith even somewhat admits his hypocritical behavior when making reference to the fact that he wouldn't have been as classy to PTA in their meeting had the situation been reversed.
Old 01-02-05, 04:45 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Madison, WI ("77 square miles surrounded by reality")
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
I kind of like Kevin Smith, at least some of his movies but even his best are kind of a mess. There's no way in his entire life he will be capable of making a film even 1/10 as good as Magnolia. My opinion.

Last edited by movielib; 01-02-05 at 05:08 PM.
Old 01-02-05, 04:50 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by movielib
I kind of like Kevin Smith, at least some of his movies but even his best are kind of a mess. Theere's no way in his entire life he will be capable of making a film even 1/10 as good as Magnolia. My opinion.
And it doesn't matter.

I didn't care for Magnolia, and it's unlikely I will ever produce a movie 1/10th as good as Magnolia. It's unlikely I'll ever make a movie 1/10th as good as Catwoman, but that doesn't mean I can't criticize Magnolia or Catwoman if I didn't like them (though I didn't see Catwoman).
Old 01-02-05, 04:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 195 Likes on 151 Posts
Smith seems to make a lot of comments that come back to bite him in the ass. While I like him, he really needs to watch his mouth now that he is in L.A. and the people he insults can make his life a living hell. That said, I think there is a chance that this might have been taken out of context like the deal with Tim Burton. I seem to recall he also made some unflattering comments about Reese Witherspoon at some point.
Old 01-02-05, 05:09 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by jaeufraser
Hey, why let the facts get in the way...
Old 01-02-05, 05:11 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Madison, WI ("77 square miles surrounded by reality")
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by BigDan
And it doesn't matter.

I didn't care for Magnolia, and it's unlikely I will ever produce a movie 1/10th as good as Magnolia. It's unlikely I'll ever make a movie 1/10th as good as Catwoman, but that doesn't mean I can't criticize Magnolia or Catwoman if I didn't like them (though I didn't see Catwoman).
Smith has every right to say whatever he wants. It just seems funny coming from a guy in the same profession who doesn't have 1/10 the talent of the guy he's bashing.
Old 01-02-05, 05:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 195 Likes on 151 Posts
Originally Posted by movielib
Smith has every right to say whatever he wants. It just seems funny coming from a guy in the same profession who doesn't have 1/10 the talent of the guy he's bashing.

I know many people who love Kevin Smith's work but hate P.T. Anderson's stuff. Talent is something that is almost in the eye of the beholder nowadays.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.