Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

The type of person who buys FS.

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-04, 09:17 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The type of person who buys FS.

You know, I just got an idea about what type of person who buys FS DVDs. With the few threads popping up about 'educating people about WS vs FS', I think some discussion would be interesting to come to a conclusion about who buys FS thinking that it's the preferred version.

I think this phenomennon goes back to the days of VHS. Specifically for those people who rarely bought a commercially produced VHS movie. Or those who tended to rent rather than buy, and those who were content with recording stuff off 'HBO' or the equivalent.

I got my first VCR for Xmas back in 1986. It was a 2-head front feed mono Sylvania. Decent machine for the time. All we had was a 19" mono, but dual speaker Zennith TV. The set-up was adequate. However, with my VCR, I got a commercially produced copy of Star Trek III. I watched the hell out of that tape. Well this great copy got me to buy commerically produced tapes and I continued strong until 1998 and then just got a few later through 2001 when FH's Dune was released. When WS VHS got started around '95 or so, I attempted to convert most of my older collection to WS VHS.

But anyway, my point is that getting the Star Trek III tape gave me a fascination with film and buy the time I switched to DVD in 2001, I had a pretty decent, but not huge collection of commerical tapes, plus a buttload of blank tapes filled with 3-4 movies in SLP mode taped from HBO.

But it's those people who never bought VHS movies and mostly rented that are probably the ones today who when they do buy DVDs, buy the FS because that's the only format they know from the VHS days when WS was only a delicacy, so-to-speak.

Does that make sense? I'm not putting down anybody here, I'm just trying to deduct who these people are who buy FS and think that's the right (or "full") version.

Whaddya think? Good theory?
Old 12-30-04, 09:20 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I never bought VHS because it was fullscreen.
Old 12-30-04, 09:23 PM
Suspended

I switched to dvds in 2001, i was like 13 then. At the time i didnt like dvd at all because it was widescreen and the black bars annoyed the hell out of me. I only bought FS dvds, then a year later WS dvds grew on me and i started liking the ws versions better, even though i had no idea that they actually were better in the first place. I educated my parents about FS dvds, and to this day i only own 1 dvd that is FS, and its star wars clone wars... sadly, i dont want to toss it. Lol.
Old 12-30-04, 09:30 PM
Suspended

you're kidding right?
Old 12-30-04, 09:41 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts
Somebody needs to take "Cool" out of "Cool New Member"

Fullscreen... ::Shivers::
Old 12-30-04, 09:43 PM

when I first started buying DVDs, they didn't offer some of them in full screen, so I bought some of my favorites in wide screen. at first the black bars annoyed me, but I got over that and I've since replaced most of my full screen DVDs with wide screen ones. my wife still insists on getting most of her movies in full screen. I've tried to educate her, but that's like talking to a brick wall, so I gave up. oh well, she'll figure it out when I buy a wide screen tv next year.
Old 12-30-04, 09:47 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
People that buy fullscreen are the same people that shop at Wal-Mart and drive trucks with bumper stickers that say "I got this truck for my wife its the best trade I ever made".
Old 12-30-04, 10:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I bought two full screen movies today. Action Jackson and The Wraith. ONLY because they were $5.88. They are two movies I've been looking for for a long time. And because I dont know if they come in widescreen. I know, I'm a very very stupid person for doing it but shit it's only 12 bucks.
Old 12-30-04, 10:22 PM
Fok
DVD Talk Limited Edition

To me its all about educating people. Back in the old days when I was buying VHS, I'd never heard of widescreen and thought full screen was the norm. After a friend showed me the difference, I could never go back.
Old 12-30-04, 10:25 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I didn't buy or rent VHS and only will buy WS DVDs. I think I remember reading up on everything DVD related, back in 1999, before I started purchasing so that affected my decision.
Old 12-30-04, 11:25 PM
Banned

Like Dean Kousoulas said, somebody needs to remove "Cool" from "Cool New Member"

Where's a pic of that T-shirt when we need it?
Old 12-30-04, 11:34 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

A 2 inch tv?
Old 12-30-04, 11:38 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally Posted by PopcornTreeCt
People that buy fullscreen are the same people that shop at Wal-Mart and drive trucks with bumper stickers that say "I got this truck for my wife its the best trade I ever made".
Right next to the bumper sticker that says "what do you say to a woman with 2 black eyes? nothin', you told her twice already."
Old 12-30-04, 11:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Well I just found out that the only release of Action Jackson was in full screen. Whew. I feel a lot better now.
Old 12-30-04, 11:54 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Well I suppose if I had a 2 inch TV, I would go foolscreen too. After all, you want to get as much of the picture as possible on such a small screen
Old 12-30-04, 11:58 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I think some of the reason has to do with ignorance and some of it has to do with the TVs people own. Many if not most average people with small 4x3 TVs will prefer to watch full screen rather than widescreen even when they know they are losing so much of the picture because their tiny screen looks even smaller with widescreen.

Last edited by namlook; 12-31-04 at 12:05 AM.
Old 12-31-04, 03:18 AM

Believe it or not, I was converted to widescreen when I bought my very first DVD in 6th grade: Yellow Submarine. The illustration MGM had demonstrating the benefits of widescreen over fullscreen coverted me. My dad has recently started to come around and see the benefits of WS over FS (especially seeing that we both own WS portable players).
Old 12-31-04, 03:30 AM

I guess you could say these people who buy Fullscreen movies are somewhat..."narrow" minded?!

I know.
That was horrible.
Old 12-31-04, 04:28 AM
JM1

fullscreen

I remember back in the video days when I used to rent I had no conception whatsoever about widescreen. I cam remember seeing the occasional movie with black bars and probably assumed like most people that you were losing picture.

But oddly enough it was when my local video store starting passing me pirate vids that I became aware of widescreen. (I hasten to add that I was young back then, and have never indulged in pirate DVD's).

Often when the movie started, it was in widescreen with black bars, but suddenly they would "zoom in" to lose the bars, and you actually saw how much picture you were losing.

That was a bit of an eye opener, and used to really annoy me.
Old 12-31-04, 07:13 AM

I'm glad that, as in every FS-WS thread, the discussion of people who prefer full-screen has devolved from an honest attempt at understanding into wife-beating, hillbilly stereotype.
Old 12-31-04, 07:50 AM

Because Fullscreen is far far better sometimes thats why! I decide from comparing both versiions, 99% of the time it is the Widescreen as theres no other option anyway.

But I just got the Fullscreen Remo Williams dvd as it looks far better than the Widescreen.

Fullscreen

Widescreen

I know which I prefer, and dont go on about what the director wants, he isnt here watching it!
Old 12-31-04, 08:01 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I used to watch fullscreen too...remember watching Air Force One on DVD on the fullscreen side. Then I read about the difference between widescreen and fullscreen and never looked back.

The pictures above are not a good example of the difference between widescreen and fullscreen.
Old 12-31-04, 08:05 AM

Yes the above isnt, as most films are definalty widescreen only, but theres the odd films which I like fullscreen more. Not loads but a handfull out of the 1000 I have, which isnt many, but theres still the odd ones here and there and dismissing them and saying Fullscreen is not on is pointless as most people doing the dismissing probibly havent actually seen both versions anyway.
Old 12-31-04, 08:32 AM

I never bought VHS like I buy DVD, and most of my VHS collection moviewise has been replaced. When I got my DVD player I asked the clerk at a Suncoast "do all DVD's only come in widesceen?" because I too was narrow minded. I VERY quickly started to love and prefer widescreen but I think I also got used to the quality of DVD and widescreen. I have Episode 1 on VHS WS and it just didnt look right quality wise. Plus WS wasnt available as easily as it is on DVD. But what I think is funny is that the people who buy FS will eventually get a widescreen TV and think its broken!!!
Old 12-31-04, 09:07 AM

I really dont know where people get the theory of FS is more. And I dont know how in the 80's my grandfather (rip) who loved movies so much knew all about widescreen and taught me at around 7yrs of age that ws was the better of the two and he would always gripe about fs, remember how back in the days movies would intro with ws then it would flow into fs? he would always complain about that saying WHY!!?? i want the ws. God bless that man for teaching me then, ive always preferred ws to fs since.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.