Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

MechAssault 2?

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-04, 02:06 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts
MechAssault 2?

I guess this came out Yesterday, has anyone tried it? I was hoping to get it but haven't heard much hype about it.

Shadow
Old 12-30-04, 03:47 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I would like to know how the single player aspect of the game is.

In particular, what the missions are like.

Any feedback is appreciated.
Old 12-30-04, 04:13 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 399 Likes on 299 Posts
I never even played the first one.
Old 12-30-04, 04:25 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,808 Likes on 1,129 Posts
I was just about to post the same thing. So no one has playe MA II yet?

Is it true there's a LE version for XBOX?
Old 12-30-04, 04:32 PM

The limited edition was advertised by either ebgames.com or gamestop.com as being available only on the day it was released. There's suppose to be an extra disc of bonus material but that's all.

I saw a picture of the box which also had the words "Limited Edition" along the top.
Old 12-30-04, 04:42 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Apparently it also has 2 extra multiplayer maps for XBOX... I've got some store credit at ebgames so I think I'll pick it up for "shits and giggles".

http://www.ebgames.com/ebx/product/245028.asp

Two Exclusive Multiplayer Maps: Playable on Xbox Live and System Link:

Map 1:
Name of Map: "Mountain High"

Supports 4 multiplayer game types all of which are team based games. They are called Team Destruction, Check It, Snatch it and Base War. They are variants of different multiplayer game modes, kind of like Halo has Capture the Flag, Team Deathmatch, etc.

You’ll be able to play this map on: Xbox Live (2-12 players), System Link (2-12 players), Split Screen (2 players)

When you’re playing this map it will support the following Xbox Live features just like in the full game (hence, you can see your friends lists, see what clans you belong to, send text and voicemail messages).

Supports 1-2 (splitscreen) players playing against bots, known as “Grinder” in MechAssault. You start with a stable of 'Mechs and face endless increasing waves of enemies. This is good for the guy who doesn't have Live, any friends or wants to practice against the AI before he goes and plays against friends via Xbox Live, System Link or Split Screen.

Map 2:
Name of Map: "Troubled Waters"

Supports 1 Multiplayer gametype Destruction (Free for all)

When you're playing this map it will support the following Xbox Live features just like in the full game (hence, you can see your friends lists, ee what clans you belong to, send text and voicemail messages).

Supports 1-2 (spitscreen) players playing against bots, known as "Grinder" in MechAssault. This is good for the guy who doesn't have Live, any friends or wants to practice against the AI before he goes and plays against friends via Xbox Live, System Link or Split Screen.

Last edited by Giantrobo; 12-30-04 at 04:46 PM.
Old 12-30-04, 04:47 PM
dgc
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

The limited edition gives you additional maps to download off the 2nd disc.

I played it last night. Really lots of fun...

Single player is fun and the story is interesting so far. I'd recommend cranking up the difficulty as the default setting was too easy.

There is a lot more options on how you decide to play. How you decide to play (i.e.: Tank, Mech, Battle Suit, VTOL) really adds to the variety and strategy of the game. This is a great improvement over MA1.

Some cool new mechs, defenses, and weapons.

The flame thrower is a great addition in close combat situations. It's fun circle straffing and heating up the big boys in my light mech. Not only does it force them to stop using the heat generated weapons, it blinds them when trying to target you with their ballistic weapons.

Anyone use an Assault class Mech and try the Alpha Strike yet?

Oh one more thing, the net code and Live interface/functionality was greatly improved.

Last edited by dgc; 12-30-04 at 04:50 PM.
Old 12-30-04, 05:25 PM

There is also a "Grinder" mode in Mechassault 1 which I thought was a lot of fun for practicing.

It's a mode where an increasing number of mechs advance on your position to take you out. The game ends only when you have been destroyed. This means you could never win. Instead, you can challenge yourself to see how far you can get before being killed.
Old 12-30-04, 05:41 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 15 Likes on 8 Posts
Sounds decent. Not one of my favorite genres, but it does look killer.
Old 12-30-04, 08:51 PM

Originally Posted by nickdawgy
I never even played the first one.
Thanks for the info.

One less noob to screw up Team Destruction for us.
Old 12-31-04, 10:14 AM

Received 80 Likes on 62 Posts
Anyone interested in a DVDTalk Clan for this game? I was thinking about setting one up. If you are interested, send me a message on Live, or post here and let me know. Anyone who's in the DVDTalk clan for Halo 2 knows that it's a good way to be able to play online with people who aren't jerks.

X
Old 12-31-04, 10:23 AM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,199 Likes on 4,226 Posts
BTW : It's $39.99 at Fry's this weekend.
Old 12-31-04, 10:33 AM

Location: Austin, Texas XboxLIVE Gamertag: Golucky Timezone: Central (CST)
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by dgc
The limited edition gives you additional maps to download off the 2nd disc.
Can you play those maps online?
Can people that do not have the LE version play the bonus maps?
If you're playing in a group, and the group leader changes the map to one of the bonus maps, do you get booted?
Can these maps be downloaded separately?
Old 12-31-04, 10:45 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Is there anyone that does NOT have the LE? I have only seen that version, online at Amazon, etc. My stepson got it yesterday afternoon and has shockingly already logged 19 games in it (20 minutes each). When at best buy (the one in Round Rock), they had to get it "out of the back" to sell to him. He didn't ask for the LE, and that is what they brought out by default. I'm guessing the non-LE isn't out yet? Kinda like Saving Private Ryan's special LE which was out for what, a couple years as the only version?
Old 12-31-04, 10:49 AM
dgc
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by goLUCKY
Can you play those maps online?
Can people that do not have the LE version play the bonus maps?
If you're playing in a group, and the group leader changes the map to one of the bonus maps, do you get booted?
Can these maps be downloaded separately?
-Yes, online.
-No
-You won't be able to play if you didn't download the map from the 2nd disc. It sounds like you would get booted.
-Not that I'm aware of but I wouldn't be surprised if they are made available in some other manner (i.e.: OXM disc).

As far as I know the Limited Edition is the only one available right now. I haven't seen any regular versions. I assume the initial inventory of LEs will deplete and get restocked with the regular version.
Old 12-31-04, 11:26 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by dgc

I assume the initial inventory of LEs will deplete and get restocked with the regular version.
Yeah, that's what the guy at ebgames said.
Old 12-31-04, 11:46 AM

Originally Posted by Xander
Anyone interested in a DVDTalk Clan for this game? I was thinking about setting one up. If you are interested, send me a message on Live, or post here and let me know. Anyone who's in the DVDTalk clan for Halo 2 knows that it's a good way to be able to play online with people who aren't jerks.

X

I'm in for that. I have'nt picked it up yet (Thank you World of Warcraft) but the online "Conquest" mode looks great.
Old 12-31-04, 07:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Well, my stepson picked it up yesterday afternoon, and has already logged 34 games (25 of them "capture the flag"). I saw that the ctf he was playing yesterday was set to 20 minutes, where in MA1 they usually played 15.

You do the math.
Old 01-01-05, 07:25 AM

I picked it up Thurs. afternoon at EB. I walked up to the counter and asked the guy if he had any copies left. He told me it was my lucky day and I could have an opened copy for 5$ off. He said he had 3 more copies but all of them were broken because a new kid employee didn't know you had to push the center of the case to remove the discs. He cracked 3 of them before the manager jumped his butt.

Since playing LIVE, I have noticed that alot of TD games seemed to be boring. The other team wouldn't come out of their spawn and only a couple of Battle Armors would come out to Mech-Jack and even though we wiped their butts in kills, the other team would win because it seems that Mech-Jacking gives a higher score than outright kills. If this type of playing/scoring continues I'll be putting this one on the shelf.
Old 01-01-05, 11:26 AM

Received 80 Likes on 62 Posts
Originally Posted by finbogg
I'm in for that. I have'nt picked it up yet (Thank you World of Warcraft) but the online "Conquest" mode looks great.
Cool. I haven't started playing this yet, since I also got KOTOR 2 for Xmas, but I'll see if I can get the clan thing set up today. Watch for an invite in the near future.

X
Old 01-01-05, 01:24 PM

Would a Halo2 player enjoy this game? Since I decided against SW Battlefront, I'm looking for a new live game. Is it easy to pick up and play? Does it have the fun factor that Halo and other games have? Thanks folks.
Old 01-01-05, 01:34 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by gr8fuldave
Would a Halo2 player enjoy this game? Since I decided against SW Battlefront, I'm looking for a new live game. Is it easy to pick up and play? Does it have the fun factor that Halo and other games have? Thanks folks.
This might seem seem to be slow compared to HALO2. Granted, I haven't put MAII in and plyed yet but I remember that when Crimson Skies came out and I played it on LIVE all the time, when I went to play Mech Assault 1 again after many weeks the gameplay and character movement seemed really slow compared to CS. That's not to say don't buy MAII.

Last edited by Giantrobo; 01-03-05 at 12:18 AM.
Old 01-02-05, 07:48 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Has anyone else played online? Shit! I can hardly get my ass into a downed Mech before some hardcore jerk kills me. And this "Mech Jacking" is a real pain in the ass! I'm glad they kinda made it difficult to do to cut down the amount of times it happens but damn!
Old 01-02-05, 08:16 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I got bored of Mech Assault online pretty fast. I sold it off when they started charging for maps. I haven't had much interest in MA2, but I'll wait for more feedback, or maybe get it when the price is right.
Old 01-03-05, 01:00 AM

Originally Posted by gr8fuldave
Probably not. The Live interface is still bad, so you'll get dropped often. You can't join friends' games after they've started. You have to place a nice little game of Simon button mashing to stop "neuro hacking" right when you're in the middle of a big battle. You can't choose your mech in this game, and after your first death, you really have to struggle to find another mech. The controls are not customizable.

If you can't tell, I'm really disappointed with this game. MA1 is one of my favorites, and I feel like Day 1 really dropped the ball with this one. I'm taking it back tomorrow.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.