Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

Alias Season 3 Threads?? ...and 'Reboot' question.

Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-04, 06:43 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

having never seen Alias on TV before, my wife and i recently got into it on dvd.. we started at the beginning, and are currently six episodes into season 3.

one thing i've been doing (just started with the season 2 finale) is going back and reading the respective threads here when i finish each episode. in order to make this easier for the rest of season 3, today i searched on 'alias' here, and started bookmarking all the season 3 episode threads in advance.. however, i don't see *any* Alias Season 3 episode threads beyond S3E15 (Façade; 3/14/04).

i've heard that people were very disappointed with Season 3, but enough to not have ANY posts about the last SEVEN episodes of the season??

without spoiling any of season 3 for me, can someone tell me what's going on here?

another question i have refers to the 'reboots'.. i've seen these referred to in various Alias threads, but i'm not sure exactly what it means.. as i said, i didn't start reading Alias threads until the Season 2 finale.. can someone tell me about the reboots (pre-Season 3) - where they are, what it means, etc...

thanks in advance..
Old 12-29-04, 07:09 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'm not sure if the search function has been working correctly since the upgrade. It's not that there isn't any threads to find, I'm sure they're there somewhere.

As for reboots, it's when things take a hard-right turn compared to what you're used to: things change dramatically. It's happened at least twice, possibly three times so far.
Old 12-29-04, 08:29 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 194 Likes on 159 Posts
I know for a fact that there are ALIAS threads from the end of last season - the search function must have gone haywire.

I couldn't find them either.

Last edited by B.A.; 12-29-04 at 08:38 AM.
Old 12-29-04, 12:15 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Just a small note. I liked season three equally as well as previous seasons. After reading all the negative reviews, I was worried, but it seemed like the same old to me. Great story and plot twists. Enjoy it, because there are a limited number of episodes and it's sad when they have all been viewed.
Old 12-29-04, 12:25 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by mkdevo
another question i have refers to the 'reboots'.. i've seen these referred to in various Alias threads, but i'm not sure exactly what it means.. as i said, i didn't start reading Alias threads until the Season 2 finale.. can someone tell me about the reboots (pre-Season 3) - where they are, what it means, etc...

thanks in advance..
I know with regards to Alias, "Phase One"(aka the Super Bowl episode) and the Season 2 Finale are considered by many fans to be "reboots". Mainly because the storyline was sent in an almost entirely new direction after each of these episodes.
Old 12-29-04, 09:38 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Doughboy
I know with regards to Alias, "Phase One"(aka the Super Bowl episode) and the Season 2 Finale are considered by many fans to be "reboots". Mainly because the storyline was sent in an almost entirely new direction after each of these episodes.

I started a thread asking if I should watch Season 3 when it came out. From the reviews I was worried, but I finished up the season last night and was pleasantly supprised.
Old 12-30-04, 05:50 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

thanks for the info, everyone.. 6 episodes in, i'm not disappointed so far.. my wife and i find this show extremely addicting, often watching 3-4 episodes a night..

i was able to recover the 'other' alias S3 threads i was looking for by just listing ALL threads from the beginning, and sifting through all the pages.. thanks!
Old 12-30-04, 08:52 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by MrBob
I started a thread asking if I should watch Season 3 when it came out. From the reviews I was worried, but I finished up the season last night and was pleasantly supprised.
I'm glad you enjoyed it. I suppose watching without waiting between episodes makes it slightly less painful to endure. ABC really didn't help matters by airing the season finale THREE FREAKING WEEKS after the 2nd to last episode.

I still feel that Season 3 was a disaster. J.J. Abrams all but admitted this in interviews. I just hope he makes a concerted effort to right the ship this season and isn't simply paying lip service to all the disappointed fans.
Old 12-30-04, 09:20 AM

Funny, I really enjoyed Season 3, much like the other two. My wife and I blitzed through S3 in a week and a half. This year will be the first time I've ever watched Alias on a weekly basis.

TK
Old 12-30-04, 10:40 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by TabascoKid
Funny, I really enjoyed Season 3, much like the other two. My wife and I blitzed through S3 in a week and a half. This year will be the first time I've ever watched Alias on a weekly basis.
I think the time lapse between episodes was a real problem - rememdied this coming season as it should air weekly through to May. If you're watching this AND LOST like me, get ready for your head to explode come Thursday morning JJ Abrams hangover.
Old 12-31-04, 03:17 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I agree: Alias/Lost combo will be killer, if they really fixed Alias. S3 was crap for me, both in scheduling and in content. We weren't surprised when JJ came out and said he was disappointed because knew something was amiss all along. Frankly I barely remember what happened in S3. Every week we were like "man, that blew." Meanwhile, Lost has been possible one of the finest hour long American TV shows ever to air. Huh.
Old 12-31-04, 06:15 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I had never watched Alias, and during last season I watched the first 2 dvd's, then watched season 3 as soon as it was released. I didn't think season 3 was nearly as good as the first 2.
Old 01-01-05, 11:14 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by rfduncan
I think the time lapse between episodes was a real problem
yeah that was a big issue for me too.. They ran so many repeats in the middle of the season that I started to miss new eps when they would pop up here or there..

One of the many thing I don't like about modern tv now.. New season should just be that, new season.. Not new season, then 5 repeats, then two new eps, then a rerun, then 3 new eps.. errrrrrrrrrrrrr....

as for the reboots... not sure there is any other way for the story lines to jump as big as they do. Plus on some level she is a spy right? So I can see that one could go from case theme A to something 100% different from case to case.. With those cases compressed for tv of course... Still, main thing I think hurt S3 was the over the top angst. On DVD it's not as bad but it hurt the show a ton to wait, wait, wait for new ep, then arrrrrrrrr angst!!!! Then wait wait oh weee more angst... Personaly I did not dislike s3 as much as some but I can understand why a few might of had issues with it.
Old 01-05-05, 12:39 AM
DRG
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I just finished season 3 on DVD (after a three week total immersion in Alias, starting at the beginning). Having watched the whole shebang new, all together, I must say season 3 was a bit of a disappointment. It was still very entertaining, but it felt more like 24 in tone and execution than what they started off with. I'm a 24 fan, but I could do without the 'so many twists you start expecting them, ruining their impact' formula, which also ails Alias season 3. Plus they both suffer from the fact you have people switching alliances more often than the WWE roster.