Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

Return of the King & Harry Potter problems - the discs or my players?

DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Old 12-29-04, 01:14 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My first post here and I hope someone might be able to offer advice on problems on two of the new movies that entered my library for Christmas.

The first disc to show a problem was Harry Potter 3, which upon playing in my main DVD player, a Toshiba SD-3900, it was skipping from the very start. Becoming unwatchable about 2 minutes into it. I was set to take it back to the store, but then tried it in my old 5 year + ProScan DVD player (I believe this was manufactured by Pioneer for Circuit City's Divx format) and the movie plays fine. So I swapped this player out to my main TV and all was well for a few days.

Then tonight, I tried watching Disc 1 of the Return of the King. At 56:00 minutes, it started to skip, then stop completely. Trying jump around to different chapters and finally came to one that worked, about 45 minutes later in the movie. I then tried the movie in the Toshiba player, and of course it played fine - that is until the very end of the movie and it started to skip again - but still played. When I turned off the player and back on again, it played these scenes fine. Go figure. I've watched both Special Feature discs of the ROTK on the Toshiba player with no problems.

I've tried multipul times with both movies in both players, and they both have the same issues.

I've gotten bad discs in the past and have just exchanged them. But I've never had the problem of a movie working in one player but not the other and vice versa.

If anybody could offer advice or point me to a place on the web that might offer some good information, I would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks
Old 12-29-04, 01:27 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
It sounds like a combination of everything, maybe some bad DVDs and wonky players. Replace everything, including your TV and speakers.