Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

19 year old beaten for shushing theater talkers.

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-04, 06:52 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I know we all hate these assholes who talk during movies, so this is just freakin scary. Another reason I think a lot of people are afraid to do anything when it happens.

And certainly another nail in the coffin of my moviegoing.

Link to news story which is only slightly longer than this post.
Old 12-28-04, 06:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post
Some dudes pulled guns and blades on each other in a theater I was in once as the credits rolled. I don't tell people to shush anymore, but I still give them annoyed looks... especially when they are kicking my chair.
Old 12-28-04, 07:22 PM

I'm waiting for the article:

"Geeky looking fellow gets pummeled to death after trying to convince someone to buy a widescreen DVD instead of a fullscreen one. Witnesses say it was a horrible scene as the man's "Star Wars: Original Trilogy 4Ever" T-shirt was ripped to shreds. With his last breath the man was heard mumbling something like "I did it for DVDtalkers everywhere."
Old 12-28-04, 07:31 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
Cross beat me to it. It's only a matter of time before on these self-congratulatory "Widescreen Advocates" annoys the wrong person.
Old 12-28-04, 08:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
yet another reason to buy a widescreen tv and surround sound
Old 12-28-04, 09:18 PM

I wonder what kind of neighborhood this was in. With the proliferation of cell phones I would think that stuff like this has mostly stopped, except in "bad" areas. I don't know anything about SD though. I mean, wouldn't people be afraid someone is calling the cops on their cell right then and there?

I mostly go to the movies on weeknights right after work and the theater is almost always empty so it works out rather nicely. Don't have to worry about this kinda crap.
Old 12-28-04, 11:18 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by cross
I'm waiting for the article:

"Geeky looking fellow gets pummeled to death after trying to convince someone to buy a widescreen DVD instead of a fullscreen one. Witnesses say it was a horrible scene as the man's "Star Wars: Original Trilogy 4Ever" T-shirt was ripped to shreds. With his last breath the man was heard mumbling something like "I did it for DVDtalkers everywhere."

WS "educators" remind me of those annoying religous freaks going door to door trying to "educate the uninformed."
Old 12-28-04, 11:27 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Exactly. Most people are generally defensive if a total stranger comes up to them and starts saying they're making the wrong choice. You pick on the wrong person, you could be in trouble.
Old 12-28-04, 11:30 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Although I don't go to mives much anymore, I can't imagine a time when I went alone.
Old 12-29-04, 12:21 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Bill Mahr told a story about going to the movies with his girlfriend and a group of teenagers were making noise and clowning around. He yelled at them to shut the hell up, which they promptly did through the rest of the film. He was feeling quite good about how he had put them in their place until after the movie was over. When they were leaving he got punched in the back of the head by a 13 year old.

Cost of 2 movie tickets: $22.65
Getting your ass kicked by a couple of kids in front of your girlfriend: Priceless
Old 12-29-04, 12:35 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Pride is a killer, to be avoided in our lives at all times. It can make you beat someone up when others shush you for being a jerk during a movie.
Old 12-29-04, 02:36 AM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

Originally Posted by Thrush
Bill Mahr told a story about going to the movies with his girlfriend and a group of teenagers were making noise and clowning around. He yelled at them to shut the hell up, which they promptly did through the rest of the film. He was feeling quite good about how he had put them in their place until after the movie was over. When they were leaving he got punched in the back of the head by a 13 year old.

Getting your ass kicked by a couple of kids in front of your girlfriend: Priceless
i saw bill mahr with his girlfriend about a month ago -- she is taller than him, very very skinny, has dark chocolate skin and looks to be roughly 18-21. no shit.
Old 12-29-04, 04:28 AM

I think Steve Urkel could kick Bill Maher's ass.
Old 12-29-04, 06:01 AM
Banned

You don't hush a black teen!
If you don't know any better you deserve what you get.

And if you fight back like Bernir Getz did back in 1984 you'll get labeled a racsist. So just avoid the confertation!
Old 12-29-04, 07:29 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by wm lopez

And if you fight back like Bernir Getz did back in 1984 you'll get labeled a racsist. So just avoid the confertation!

Um....well played?
Old 12-29-04, 07:46 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Yeah, thanks for that....
Old 12-29-04, 08:16 AM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts

No need to be CROSS. We don't know if the original story took place in the suburbs or in the HOOD. This could have been a upscale movie theater, or it could have been a dive where the film is projected on an old SHEET.
Old 12-29-04, 10:08 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Groucho
Cross beat me to it. It's only a matter of time before on these self-congratulatory "Widescreen Advocates" annoys the wrong person.
How the hell is that even close to the same thing as asking someone to shut up in a theater? If someone is buying a pan and scan DVD, they aren't affecting anyone but themselves. When someone is talking in a theater, they are ruining other peoples time and money.
Old 12-29-04, 10:40 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Mira Mesa is certainly not in the HOOD.
Old 12-29-04, 11:15 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 731 Likes on 533 Posts
That's why you carry one of these...
Old 12-29-04, 11:19 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Groucho
Old 12-29-04, 11:26 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,819 Likes on 1,132 Posts

Bill Mahr getting punched at all... Priceless.

Anyway, I pick and choose who I "shoosh". Annoying couples get shooshes and loud sighs from me. Kids get a loud shoosh. Anyone remotely "hood like" I sigh out loud.
Old 12-29-04, 11:31 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

The question is when we will get metal detectors and X-Ray machines at the theaters, and when parenting will be addressed in Washington D.C.
Old 12-29-04, 12:05 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

He got beat up? That's it? I still have a scar on my foot that won't heal.
Old 12-29-04, 12:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I was sitting right next to a couple of punk brothers, and they were talking incessantly. After about 15 minutes into the movie, I turned to the older brother and asked at a conversatorial volume, if they were going to talk through the whole movie. He tried to stare me down and didn't respond, so I asked the little brother the same question, no response... I looked back to the older brother and said in a louder, more aggresive tone "Well, are you?" and they both said no, and didn't say a word the rest of the movie.

I know, I probably deserved to be knifed, but I wasn't.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.