Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

Getting rid of dvd's shown excessively on TV.

Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-04, 10:02 AM
ruk
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was wondering how many people have gotten rid of some of their dvd's because they were shown too much on Tv, i know people will say it's still better to have the dvd, no commercials, no editing etc but just to name a few, gone in 60 seconds, shawshank redemption, billy madison..... just curious.
Old 12-28-04, 10:04 AM
Banned

If that was a reason for someone to get rid of a DVD, then I wonder why they bought it in the first place.

TV movie broadcasts are no replacement for DVDs.
Old 12-28-04, 10:06 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
hadn't had cable in four years until a few weeks ago....dvds and rabbit ears could get me by. Local news and movies....I don't watch much television
Old 12-28-04, 10:08 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,303 Likes on 947 Posts
I keep mine.

The perception that it's shown excessively on TV is only if you choose not to change the channel . Every now and then I'll watch a movie I have on DVD just for a particular scene and then switch it.
Old 12-28-04, 10:13 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I hate the editing that is done to movies shown on tv. Don't get me wrong, since I have kids, I understand the need to edit the movie for language, sex, etc but I also enjoy watching movies the way they were intended.
Old 12-28-04, 10:15 AM
Banned

Widescreen anyone? What channels are YOU watching where they're shown that way?

Lame lame lame.
Old 12-28-04, 10:21 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 82 Likes on 70 Posts
I haven't gotten rid of any films because they're shown excessively on TV, but there are dvd's I don't want, because they've been shown excessively on TV. I know usually they're edited and P&S'ed, but I'd rather spend the time/money on something new or that I haven't seen in a while.
A couple that come to mind are:
A Few Good Men - had on VHS, excellent movie, no desire for the DVD
Shawshank Redemption - thank you Ted Turner, I now NEVER want to see this movie again.
Futurama - CN's constant replays plus my DVR = no need to buy the DVDs.
Old 12-28-04, 10:25 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Not even close.
Old 12-28-04, 10:30 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

DVD has made me get rid of TV, not the other way around. I donated my RPTV six months ago when I bought a projector, haven't seen TV since, and don't miss it.
Old 12-28-04, 11:08 AM
Banned

Yeah, same here. I didn't have cable TV for a very long while and didn't miss it at all. The only reason I have it now is for HD stuff. Watching movies on TV is completely pointless. Edited, panned and scanned and filled with commercials. What exactly is the bonus???? I'm so confused by this thread.
Old 12-28-04, 11:25 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 607 Likes on 351 Posts
The DVD format is so superior to broadcast TV that I don't bother watching movies on TV, whether I have them or not. If it's worth watching, it's worth owning (or at least renting, for those titles ya don't want your friends to see in your collection...)
Old 12-28-04, 01:09 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
No ads and being uncut is reason enough for me to stick to dvd
Old 12-28-04, 01:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Since the reason I collect DVDs is to have movies I like available when I want to see them, and in the best possible format (OAR, uncut, uninterrupted) I can't imagine ever doing something like that.
Old 12-28-04, 01:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Don't forget anamorphic resolution (if you can take advantage of it) and lack of station logos (and other annoying advertisements during the movie) as additional reasons to watch the DVD. Also, they don't always use the best transfer available, and with the DVD you can actually read the closing credits if you want to.

About the only good thing I can think of about movies on television is that the compression artifacts usually aren't as bad as on the DVD. It's not that television doesn't have artifacts-I see compression on our cable system, and we have the chroma bug as well.
Old 12-28-04, 01:41 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 45 Likes on 37 Posts
Yeah, not a big fan of watching movies on tv either. Blah. How elitist are we? lol

Anyway, a friend turned me on to something Comedy Central does on Saturday nights at 12 or 1am EST (can't remember which) called "Secret Stash" (or something to that effect.) They air completely UNEDITED movies and stand up performances. I was literally in awe watching "Jay and Silent Bob Strike Back" because my brain couldn't possibly conceive that it was playing on a basic cable service UNCUT. heh. A few weeks back they aired the first Chris Rock stand up film as well.....gotta love CC.
Old 12-28-04, 02:51 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

About 70% of my DVD Collection is TV Shows, which where made for TV, and about 50% of my collection, I see aired in syndication all time. But I still keep the DVD's because a) there uncut, and b) Marathon's baby.... (but I do keep old VHS's of Roswell & Dawson's Creek for the music the episodes aired with).
Old 12-28-04, 03:09 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I wouldn't ditch my DVDs because a show is broadcast on TV often. What sometimes happens is seeing that the broadcast is on makes me want to watch the movie, so I get out the DVD and watch it.
Old 12-28-04, 03:14 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Don't even have regular TV. Strictly a DVD/HT house here.
Old 12-28-04, 03:27 PM
Retired

Nope.

I might not buy a movie I wouldn't watch alot if its on TV regularly though. A good example is A Christmas Story. It's just ok, only want to watch it once a year, don't care as much about OAR, commercials I can skip on Tivo.

But anything I really like, I'm going to buy to watch in widescreen/OAR, DD5.1/DTS.
Old 12-28-04, 04:30 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Yep. Unless they're Spiderman or Daredevil DC, but this is why I own horror or cult films, nobody shows them.
Old 12-28-04, 04:39 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I've not bought some, like Josh Hinkle said, A Christmas Story, or the Seinfeld sets because they are shown all the time. Tivo helps a lot.
Old 12-28-04, 04:46 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by ruk
I was wondering how many people have gotten rid of some of their dvd's because they were shown too much on Tv
That is crazy talk!

Most of the people in the thread have already hit the nail on the head as to why this is a bad idea (OAR, Edited, Commercials), but you can also throw in inferior picture quality and sound. Also, the convenience of watching a particular movie or scene on your own schedule plays a big part.
Old 12-28-04, 04:56 PM

Location: In my secret underground lair, plotting to TAKE OVER THE WORLD!!! Bwuaaahahahaha!!
I've stopped watching TV...

Instead of flipping channels mindlessly to see if anything is on, I just throw in a DVD.

I haven't added as many TV shows to my DVD collection as I'd like, but I know that they will be there when I do choose to get them.

I prefer to watch the movie unedited, in the original aspect ratio, and with no commercial breaks; and I like to watch TV shows chronologically, again with no commercial interruptions.

Last edited by littlefuzzy; 12-29-04 at 11:17 AM.
Old 12-28-04, 06:23 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts
No way. There are movies I've grown tired of and never purchased because I've watched them too many times on TV in the past, but I almost never even watch TV anymore (especially not movies on TV) so that shouldn't continue to be a problem.

Last edited by Ginwen; 12-28-04 at 09:24 PM.
Old 12-28-04, 07:45 PM

huh? hell no. I don't buy just to dump later.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.