Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

NASCAR 3D: The IMAX Experience --> A Brief Walmart Exclusive!

DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Old 12-28-04, 09:24 AM
Mao

Received 63 Likes on 39 Posts

From Video Store:

Wal-Mart, from Feb. 1 through March 14, 2005, will exclusively bow at retail in association with Warner Home Video NASCAR 3D: The IMAX Experience on DVD, in addition to the documentary’s soundtrack on CD in collaboration with Shout ! Factory.

Suggested retail prices for the DVD and CD were not available, according to a Wal-Mart spokesperson; a WHV representative was unavailable for comment.

The Warner Bros. Pictures film, which reportedly grossed $19 million on IMAX screens since its premiere in March, will be re-released in the format in January.

The 14-song CD includes Sheryl Crow singing “Steve McQueen,” LeAnn Rimes singing “I Got It Bad,” and Lynyrd Skynyrd’s “Sweet Home Alabama,” among others.
Old 12-28-04, 10:03 AM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,158 Likes on 4,191 Posts
Cool movie, definately worth seeing in IMAX.
I've never had a 3-D DVD before. How do they look?
Old 12-28-04, 10:05 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
It's not going to look anything like the original polarized, clear glasses IMAX 3-D.

They've converted it to red/blue glasses anaglyph, so don't expect much and you might find a moment or two of interest.

I hate it when the convert 3-D movies to anaglyph. It makes people think that's what 3-D looks like....

It is too much to hope that they've included a full color field sequential 3-D version as well. That format requires a $30 pair of glasses, but the effect is far better than anaglyph and at least appoximates the original 3-D.
Old 12-28-04, 12:21 PM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

Originally Posted by Steve Phillips
It is too much to hope that they've included a full color field sequential 3-D version as well. That format requires a $30 pair of glasses, but the effect is far better than anaglyph and at least appoximates the original 3-D.
Walmart, dude. Walmart.
Old 12-28-04, 01:14 PM

I viewed a press release off of Fox Sports, the way it read was that it would be available at other retailers after March 14th. I just hope Wal Mart stocks enough of these to get, I have been waiting for this. Hopefully since its a NASCAR tie in and the season kicks off around that date they will.
Old 01-26-05, 08:28 AM

This is a week away and I have not heard any news on it. Anything new?
Old 01-29-05, 12:39 PM

It's on the Wal Mart website with a release date of 03/15/2005. That pisses me off if it is true. Although it looks to be just the DVD, not the combo deal with the soundtrack.

Last edited by Stu 17; 01-29-05 at 12:42 PM.
Old 02-01-05, 09:58 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

The website also lists the film without the 3D in the title, which makes me suspect they ditched the third dimension after all. All the video store trade papers listed it as NASCAR 3D too. Maybe they realized that red/blue anaglyph conversion idea wasn't so smart after all? It's not like it would look anything like polarized IMAX 3-D anyway, so not much of a loss I guess.

If anyone finds it, can you confirm if it is just a flat version or is there an anaglyph version too?
Old 02-01-05, 03:01 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I checked out my local Wal-Mart, they had at least 500 copies.

I don't think there is any 3-D version included. Since both the "IMAX" and the 3-D" have been stripped from the film, it's just another documentary. I passed.

What's even more lame is...the DVD has a Lenticular 3-D cover!
Old 02-01-05, 03:06 PM

There was't a copy at my Wal-mart Big K. I asked the Electronisc super whom I went to school with and he said he had seen any in back.
Steve how much would you charge to pick up a copy and ship it, maybe trade?
Old 02-01-05, 04:53 PM

Originally Posted by Steve Phillips
I checked out my local Wal-Mart, they had at least 500 copies.

I don't think there is any 3-D version included. Since both the "IMAX" and the 3-D" have been stripped from the film, it's just another documentary. I passed.

What's even more lame is...the DVD has a Lenticular 3-D cover!
My Walmart had quite a few copies also. It does indeed say IMAX on the cover but does not say 3D... I didn't realize this until after I bought it. While I was checking out I asked the associate if this included 3D glasses and she said she didn't think so, thats when I looked at the cover and there was nothing mentioning 3D on the cover... DAMN IT! Also all of the copies they had say "Standard Version: this film has been modified as follows from it's original version: it has been formatted to fit your screen". does anyone know if this film was filmed in widescreen and if it's available in widscreen? I have not opened it yet because of these two issues... now I'm not even sure I want it anymore!
Old 02-01-05, 05:29 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

IMAX aspect ratio is only about 1:40 to 1, so the DVD is framed more or less OK. Really, the DVD should read just NASCAR: THE EXPERIENCE since there is no IMAX or 3-D involved!

Last edited by Steve Phillips; 02-01-05 at 05:35 PM.
Old 02-01-05, 08:37 PM

I just went up to WalMart, they had a ton of them. This is a cheap disc though. The outside packaging is cool, but there are no special features, the menus are meaningless, and no DTS.

I was hoping for something along the lines of the Super Speedway Imax DVD and that is simply asking for a making of and DTS.

It would not surprise me if the version that comes out on March 15 for all retailers is a better version. We may have gotten the WalMart Edition.
Old 02-01-05, 09:04 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
It figures that Wal-Mart gets a NASCAR exclusive.
Old 02-01-05, 09:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by PopcornTreeCt
It figures that Wal-Mart gets a NASCAR exclusive.
[rimshot]

Know your audience I guess.

At least all those $39.99 Apex players will get put to good use.
Old 02-01-05, 10:34 PM

I just picked up the DVD at Wal-Mart, wanted it ever since I saw it in IMAX (my first IMAX movie). If you're a NASCAR fan its cool to have, I demoed it and the 5.1 was pretty tight, a little low with the commentary but the bass is up. I doubt we'll see a "special edition" this disc has been a quiet release even this close to the start of the new season. THey waited this long to put it out, this would have been the time to put out a SE.