Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > International DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

Appleseed: look SWEET!

Community
Search
International DVD Talk Intl. DVDs, Region Free Players, RCE, Hong Kong DVDs & More

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-04, 06:20 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

for all you fans of anime, check this out:

http://www.appleseedthemovie.com/

nice trailer!

looks like its going to be an action packed flick with a great soundtrack...really looking forward to this one.
Old 12-27-04, 06:26 PM
Cool New Member

I watched this movie a little while ago and while it has some pretty eye candy I still did not like the overall animation. I much preferred the animation in GITS 2. Appleseed was just to polished and computery. The movie only really shines during the mech fighting scenes. I have never read the Manga but the original Appleseed OVA did not hold my interest either and the same has to go for this one as well as far as the story goes.

The soundtrack is not that great but the DTS track on the Japanese disk rocks.
Old 12-27-04, 07:10 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

hrmph...

thanks for raining on my parade

well, i'll check it out anyway and let you know...
Old 12-28-04, 02:26 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post
I'll rain a little more on your parade and tell you to do a search:
http://www.dvdtalk.com/forum/showthr...ight=appleseed
Old 12-28-04, 07:56 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

SLATEEF, trust me, not only is this one of the biggest surprises for me this year (I didn't even hear of this movie until a couple days ago, bought the DVD that same day from an anime store, and watched it that day), this is the best anime that I have ever seen. This movie is now my favorite along with AKIRA. APPLESEED beats the crap out of the Ghost In the Shells, Jin-Roh, Metropolis, Wonderful Days, Animatrix, and Ninja Scroll. APPLESEED is anime eye candy with a good typical anime story which can be totally understood with a couple viewings. The mixture of 2D and 3D is unbelievable. I forgot I was watching an anime at times. Hot anime girls, Matrix bullet-time slo-mo action, good sci-fi story, amazing artwork, robots fighting cyborgs fight humans, mechazoids, great music (even good English songs, rarely found in a Japanese movie), and characters the audience cares about. A very rare movie!
I think DISMAS likes old school animation... I like it too, but I like all kinds of animation, whether its 2D old school, or 3D computer animation, or a combination. The style in APPLESEED is awsome and the characters move very real. If you like all kinds of animation a la Ghost in The Shell, and new kinds such as in the MTV Spiderman series, you will love this movie....It's not the style that's just awsome, it's the perfect balance of action and story in this movie that Ghost In The Shells and Jin-Roh lack. Im tired of these animes with an awsome action scene in just the beginning and in the end, and babbling filler all throughout...APPLESEED goes back and forth from beginning to end with a perfect balance of the two...
APPLESEED is not only one of the best animes ever, it was one of my favorite movies this year...go see it!!
Old 12-28-04, 01:44 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

trigger...

in my best steve martin voice..."WELL EXCUUUUUSSSSE MEEEE"

:P
Old 12-28-04, 02:25 PM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

I got the Japanese R2 set around 2 weeks ago, and although it's been more than a decade since I watched anime raw (w/o subs), I sat through the entire movie despite knowing like 10 Japanese words.

Just some random thoughts:
- It takes a slight adjustment to get use to the animation in this movie. Occasionally you'll notice the "robotic" movements, although I stopped noticing as the movie progressed. (however, it didn't help that I had no idea what they were saying and occasionally spent time counting how many times the human characters blinked :P ) However, very beautiful visuals esp. lanscape scenes of Olympus.
- If there needs to be a comparison, I do agree with Dismas that Gits2 looks better. However, the two movies have different tones, and I think the glossier look of Appleseed fits the Utopian society where it takes place.
- A few of the character models were pretty bad: I think Athena & Uranus didn't come off too well. older characters + CGI = doesn't mix too well.
- I'm a big fan of the manga and Deunan seems to have a harder edge in the manga compared to the movie. She's still a badass in the movie, but less of the weepy stuff in the manga
- very nice fighting scenes

I know some of the above seem like criticisms, but overall I liked the movie. Not exactly like the manga, but pretty faithful to it which is a big plus in my book.

Looking forward to when it gets released to the theaters in mid-January...will finally get to fill in what the dialog was
Old 12-28-04, 03:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by slateef
trigger...

in my best steve martin voice..."WELL EXCUUUUUSSSSE MEEEE"

:P
sorry... I forgot my winky smiley in my post.