Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Star Wars without John William's music?

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-04, 03:28 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Do you think Star Wars is just another Sci-Fi movie without John Williams music?

I don't think I could watch it over and over again if somebody else composed the music.
Old 12-27-04, 04:04 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

No doubt William's music was an important part of Star Wars success, but there's many other great things in there too. Kind of hard to really single out one thing.
Old 12-27-04, 04:22 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Yeah, I wouldn't say that without the score it wouldn't be the same. It's just we have come to connect Star Wars with a John Williams score.
Old 12-27-04, 10:40 AM

I can not stand overbearing symphonic soundtracks. It is one of the weak elements of the Star Wars movies. It's also a weak point Steven Spielberg's movies in general, like Indiana Jones, and even Minority Report. Spielberg is guilty as well of using the blaring soundtrack to punctuate emotional moments in his movie, underlinging the obvious for the audience. Anyway, back to Star Wars, I think it would improve the movies if the soundtrack were to be more subtle and electronic.
Old 12-27-04, 10:55 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Saxofonix
I think it would improve the movies if the soundtrack were to be more subtle and electronic.
that is an interesting idea....not saying its a good idea...still i would like to see it.......seems like it would be cheese
Old 12-27-04, 12:04 PM
Fok
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Hard to say what would happen.....as this would never happen
Old 12-27-04, 12:10 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
It's one of the many elements that make Star Wars great.
Old 12-27-04, 01:21 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Saxofonix
I can not stand overbearing symphonic soundtracks. It is one of the weak elements of the Star Wars movies. It's also a weak point Steven Spielberg's movies in general, like Indiana Jones, and even Minority Report. Spielberg is guilty as well of using the blaring soundtrack to punctuate emotional moments in his movie, underlinging the obvious for the audience. Anyway, back to Star Wars, I think it would improve the movies if the soundtrack were to be more subtle and electronic.
I THINK YOU'VE DONE IT!

I've been reading posts in this board for years now and you've just come up with something I disagree with so much, I actually can't even think of a response to it.
Old 12-27-04, 02:03 PM

Originally Posted by Fok
Hard to say what would happen.....as this would never happen
...and there's the one phrase you can never say in a Star Wars thread!
Old 12-27-04, 04:56 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Anyway, back to Star Wars, I think it would improve the movies if the soundtrack were to be more subtle and electronic.
Ugh! No offense but that's the dumbest idea I've ever heard of. That would be *****in' awful.
Old 12-27-04, 05:36 PM

Originally Posted by Terrell
Ugh! No offense but that's the dumbest idea I've ever heard of. That would be *****in' awful.

While I won't argue that the soundtrack is the sole element that makes Star Wars great, the idea of putting in some underscore electronic rumbling is, as you say, a horribly awful idea. Star Wars isn't Blade Runner...it's high fantasy and heroics. The music fit those movies like a freakin glove and is some of the best damn film scoring ever.
Old 12-28-04, 04:27 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Bartertown due to it having a better economy than where I really live.
Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts
John Williams is a great composer, although I will admit a lot of his stuff borrows from other pieces he's written.
Personally I wish more movies would use orchestra music instead of off the shelf popular music. I also wish it was easier to find the score soundtracks for movies that have both. The pop music ones are easy to find and cheap while the score ones are pricier
take punisher for example. the pop music sound track is $10 while the score is $15
Old 12-28-04, 05:04 PM

Originally Posted by mikehunt
John Williams is a great composer, although I will admit a lot of his stuff borrows from other pieces he's written.
Personally I wish more movies would use orchestra music instead of off the shelf popular music. I also wish it was easier to find the score soundtracks for movies that have both. The pop music ones are easy to find and cheap while the score ones are pricier
take punisher for example. the pop music sound track is $10 while the score is $15
Well the simple problem is that pop music soundtracks sell MUCH better.

But one thing about score soundtracks, as someone who's purchased and collected a lot, is that they retain value. I had quite a few CDs (Temple of Doom, Ghost Darkness, The Saint, Conan the Barbarian) that I was able to sell recently for nearly twice the value I paid for them, if not more. So, while they do cost more, they also often times become collector's items and really retain their value, which is a good offset for the higher price and harder to find status.