Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Video Game Talk
Reload this Page >

Graphics? I don't need your stinkin' graphics!

Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Old 12-26-04, 08:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 233 Likes on 166 Posts

I'm getting back into the GBA now that school is on break and the DS is coming out. Right now I'm playing lots of Denki Blocks!, Advance Wars 1 (Much better than 2), Wario Ware, and Mario & Luigi. It's games with tons of replay value that gets me coming back and back more than graphics.
Old 12-27-04, 04:05 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
So what do you want, a cookie or something?
Old 12-27-04, 04:34 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by Tarantino
So what do you want, a cookie or something?
one word, attention.
Old 12-27-04, 04:44 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
I would like to subscribe to your news letter.

You may not want graphics but why don't you take it one step further?

Electronics? I don't need your stinkin' technology!

All much more entertaining than any technology you can provide.

And all those pictured above don't need cheat codes to beat. You may like that deb.
Old 12-27-04, 06:53 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I must've missed it. But, what is the point of this thread?
Old 12-27-04, 07:49 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 188 Likes on 126 Posts
Thanks for posting that lincoln logs pic - that shit brought back some great memories.
Old 12-27-04, 08:22 AM
Retired

I agree. I just finished Mario and Luigi. Easily the most fun I've had with a game in the past couple years.

I've never been one of those tech geeks that cream their pants over graphics, upgrade my computer twice a year to play the newest game at the highest specs etc.

A fun game is a fun game. Good graphics are just the icing on the cake, but a cake worth eating will still be damn good without the icing.
Old 12-27-04, 08:29 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by GatorDeb
I'm getting back into the GBA now that school is on break and the DS is coming out. Right now I'm playing lots of Denki Blocks!, Advance Wars 1 (Much better than 2), Wario Ware, and Mario & Luigi. It's games with tons of replay value that gets me coming back and back more than graphics.
You're God damn right! <3
Old 12-27-04, 02:33 PM
DRG
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
The only time I really care about graphics is if they're distractingly bad for the game type. For example, I'm perfectly fine with Donkey Kong and Pac-Man's graphics... they suit the games. They're simple and clean, and do their job. But something like the bad digitization in Pit Fighter or the blocky polygons in an early PS1 game like Tekken 1 is hard for me to look at nowadays.
Old 12-27-04, 02:37 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
I disagree. Graphics ARE the game. What's the point in playing if you can't see the latest bells and whistles? Pixel shading, particles, etc. The graphics in some games are so good it's almost like I'm watching a CG movie. That's what it's all about.
Old 12-27-04, 02:49 PM
Retired

Originally Posted by DRG
The only time I really care about graphics is if they're distractingly bad for the game type. For example, I'm perfectly fine with Donkey Kong and Pac-Man's graphics... they suit the games. They're simple and clean, and do their job. But something like the bad digitization in Pit Fighter or the blocky polygons in an early PS1 game like Tekken 1 is hard for me to look at nowadays.
Well said. I agree 100%.
Old 12-27-04, 04:17 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by DRG
Word. I can't even bring myself to play a lot ps1 games now. I'm allergic to jaggies.
Old 12-27-04, 06:42 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Well, graphics might not make the game, but they do open up a world of possibilities in types of games. Honestly, if you go back to the 16 bit era or before, there really is a slim selection of types of games. Some are fantastic...I can sit and play Super Mario World all day long. But there's no 3D, no voice, limitaions on animation and such. Graphics might not be the end all be all, but you have to admit advances in graphics and technology have opened up many many types of games just not possible on those old systems.
The bright side is you can have it all. God bless emulators, as I can revisit old genesis and snes and nes games whenever I want. When it comes to older games, 2D platformers are really what I love about old school gaming. But, RPGs, shooting games, sports games, fighting games have really benefitted technologic improvements. Not to mention sometimes I like to pause and just look at the pretty polygons.
Old 12-28-04, 12:19 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Amen to the OP. Though I enjoy games with nice graphics, bad graphics won't stop me from playing a game. I'm more into the artistic graphics though, the highly stylistic kinds or innovative like Feel the Magic or Wanda, colorful kinds like Animal Crossing or Zelda: The Wind Waker or someting other than the ultra-realistic boring kind. But of course, it's the gameplay that really counts, and thats what I look for.

Last edited by Outlaw; 12-28-04 at 12:21 AM.
Old 12-28-04, 02:07 AM
Video Gamer Reviewers

aren't GBA graphics... pretty damn nice? Think Sega Master, NES... or even further back if you dare.
Old 12-28-04, 09:07 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I stopped playing my GBA SP because I couldn't stand the graphics. I guess I'm a graphics whore.