Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

Where to place a Center Channel with a DLP?

Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-04, 02:22 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Location: Chicago, only a stone's throw from Chicago (even if you throw like a girl)
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just purchased the Samsung Dlp HLP-5685w. However, I didnt think about the fact that this tv is soooo thin, that I can't place my center channel on top of the tv. Where should I put it. The only thing I can come up with is building a shelf in the wall above it and having it come out over the tv, but that seems poor aesthetically. KIM, my L and R speakers are floor standing, and I was under the impression that the center channel should be in parallel as much as possible with them (heightwise). So the shelf seems a bit too high for this setup. Any ideas?

SPY
Old 12-26-04, 09:20 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by bothanspy
I just purchased the Samsung Dlp HLP-5685w. However, I didnt think about the fact that this tv is soooo thin, that I can't place my center channel on top of the tv. Where should I put it. The only thing I can come up with is building a shelf in the wall above it and having it come out over the tv, but that seems poor aesthetically. KIM, my L and R speakers are floor standing, and I was under the impression that the center channel should be in parallel as much as possible with them (heightwise). So the shelf seems a bit too high for this setup. Any ideas?

SPY
If it were me I would go with your idea or use two smaller center channel speakers and mount them on small shelves just under the screen, left and right of the stand post. The latter might improve the aesthetics as well as expand the sound somewhat.

Having no stand like yours, I put my center channel in a swivel mount underneath my plasma but I occasionally notice the sound coming from a center point lower than the action. Spreading yours out might eliminate that.
Old 12-26-04, 09:38 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
Ideally a center channel needs to be as close to the center of the screen as possible.

Often that is not possible and you need to go either above or below the screen and angle slightly up or down. A shelf might work, I have seen specific center channel shelves for just that purpose.

http://www.circuitcity.com/ssm/OmniM...oductDetail.do

http://www.crutchfield.com/S-1YdI3ud...2050&I=051TVSB

Good luck.
Old 12-26-04, 09:57 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Brian Shannon
Ideally a center channel needs to be as close to the center of the screen as possible.

Often that is not possible and you need to go either above or below the screen and angle slightly up or down.
From looking at a picture of his set, I don't think he would be able to use shelves like that.

I think he may have to go with shelves braced into the wall else something free standing on either side of the center post of the stand. (the set & stand look like a T )
Old 12-26-04, 03:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 257 Likes on 181 Posts
There is an argument to be made that you don't need a center channel at all. Many people don't use them.
Old 12-27-04, 11:05 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Location: Chicago, only a stone's throw from Chicago (even if you throw like a girl)
Wow, this is proving more difficult that I thought. I'll shoot some pictures of the room and present them here. maybe that might help.
Old 12-27-04, 12:08 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
How big is the center channel? My HLN467 has an area on top for a center channel. It's at least a foot wide and about 5 inches deep. I don't have my center on it, but it's nice to know it's there.

Maybe the newer models don't have that ledge anymore.
Old 12-27-04, 07:20 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
I have experience with this! I don't know how deep your center channel speaker is, but styrofoam has been a solution in my experience. Get a nice chunk from some christmas present and stick it back there under the back of the speaker.
Old 12-27-04, 10:13 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Have you checked out Samsung's site? I think they have (or will soon) be selling a shelf that fits underneath the 5685 (for the very purpose of holding various components or center channel speakers). I think I remember reading about it over at avsforum.