Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

Where to buy a 35ft (or so) componant cable LOCALLY.

Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-04, 03:42 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 412 Likes on 357 Posts

I'm home on vacation and have to go back to Florida to work in about 7-10 days. I really wanted to at least mount my projector screen while home, but to do that I need to pass a signal though my projector to I can determine the size of the screen (I'm building the screen).

I had ordered a cable over the net, but it has yet to arrive. Any ideas where I could buy one locally? I'm in Dallas, so we got all the typcially stores. I tried Fye's electronics today and they didn't have anything.

Any suggestions would be appreciated...
Old 12-23-04, 04:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
I don't want to discourage you but that is usually a custom length and will need to be ordered. Perhaps you can find someone local to make one for you?
Old 12-23-04, 04:30 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Brian Shannon
I don't want to discourage you but that is usually a custom length and will need to be ordered. Perhaps you can find someone local to make one for you?
Yea, I know. I was hoping I'd get lucky. And it doesn't have to be exactly 35ft, I figure I actually need about 25ft or so, but don't want to come up short when I run it thru the attic. I have called about 6 places so far and one would custom make me one on the spot but at like $15.00 per LF!!!!

I'm somewhat learning as I go on this deal, but is there any reason a different type cable would cause the image to be a different size? I got a 15ft or so S video cable that I could use to at least pass a signal until I get everything set up. I suppose I could do that, make the screen a little bigger, then go back and mask if needed when I went over to componant.
Old 12-23-04, 05:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
but is there any reason a different type cable would cause the image to be a different size? I got a 15ft or so S video cable that I could use to at least pass a signal until I get everything set up.
I am not aware of a cable type changing the size of the picture. Quality yes, but size no.
Old 12-23-04, 05:31 PM
X
Administrator

Received 154 Likes on 124 Posts
That length might not be available in regular component cable and you might not want to use it if you found it.

You may need to use some decent 75-ohm coax to run that length and maintain signal quality. Just buy some bulk coax and put on your own ends.
Old 12-23-04, 06:03 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by X
That length might not be available in regular component cable and you might not want to use it if you found it.

You may need to use some decent 75-ohm coax to run that length and maintain signal quality. Just buy some bulk coax and put on your own ends.
Really, interesting. Had not thought about this. I was thinking about ordering this as I think 25ft would just be enough. In the description is talks about be 75ohm. Is that what you are saying??? (FYI, I hooking up an X1 to a Toshiba TiVo/progressive scan DVD player - I have mounted my X1 to the ceiling and plan on running the cable in the attic and down the wall which is why I need something this long)

http://www.connectxpress.com/product...5902&sku=29053

By using Component Video Cables, you bypass the TV’s Y/C separator and Color Decoder, routing the color (Y Pr Pb ) information directly into the TVs matrix decoder. By sending the pure DVD component video signal directly to a component video input-equipped display device, the DVD signal forgoes the extra processing that normally would degrade the image. The result is vastly increased image quality, with incredibly lifelike colors and crisp detail.

Connectors: RCA Plug x3 to RCA Plug x3
Precision 75-ohm impedance for maximum signal transfer
Ultra-flexible jacket for easy installation
24K Gold-plated connectors ensure long lasting, corrosion-free connections
Fully molded connectors provide excellent strain relief
Foil and copper braid shield reduces unwanted noise and distortion
Provides video signal transfer between DVD player and television or projector
Color-coded connectors: red, green, blue
Old 12-23-04, 06:11 PM
X
Administrator

That's some pretty cheap (as in inexpensive) cable! Yes, the impedance is 75-ohms. So you can use higher-quality cable of the same impedance meant for longer runs in place of it.

25' might be ok, I'd be careful about any longer than that. Especially running it through walls where you might encounter some stray RF like from power wiring.

I see they show 50' available as well. Maybe if they'd take it back...
Old 12-23-04, 06:32 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
You can just get a 35ft length of RCA cable from radio shack and use that. RCA cables can substitute for component cables.

D
Old 12-23-04, 10:48 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 289 Likes on 214 Posts
Yep. Just get three shielded long-length RCA cables.
Old 12-24-04, 12:10 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Hi,

For longer cable run's for your application I really recommend Belden or Canare cables w/ Canare crimped conectors. It probaly cost you $60-$80 for that length on ebay but they are a minor investment for the hours of enjoyment you will get from them.

You possible could get away with cheap soldered component cables for length's under 15ft or less but with a long cable runs and a large projected image I can guarantee image issues with them.

Cubanx
Old 12-25-04, 02:26 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Derrich
You can just get a 35ft length of RCA cable from radio shack and use that. RCA cables can substitute for component cables.

D
Really? I realized that the end's or plugs were the same, but I thought there was something different in the cable itself.

Basically I want quality (I purcashed the adapter for the X1 so I can use component cables), but I am on a budget (I made the ceiling mount for the projector out of plumber pipe parts, built the riser for the rear row of seats myself).
Old 12-25-04, 03:21 PM
X
Administrator

Originally Posted by Sdallnct
Really? I realized that the end's or plugs were the same, but I thought there was something different in the cable itself.
The cable is the correct impedance (75-ohms) but as I said earlier, I doubt it is of good enough quality to carry component video that far without degrading the signal.

I have 3 12' Radio Shack Gold Series video cables that I used to use for component video to my RPTV. I always had a green tinge on part of the screen when I used them that I didn't get with shorter ones or an equally long VGA cable.
Old 12-25-04, 06:53 PM
JM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Sdallnct
There is no inherent difference between a composite video cable and any of the three leads of a component cable. However, as always, some cables will have better conductivity, better construction, and better shielding than others.

You can buy 3 RG6 cables of the desired length and put RCA ends on them (they make screw on ones). This should be very economical and excellent quality. You may want quad-shielded RG6 if you will be running them in an electrically noisy environment (next to AC lines etc.).
Old 12-27-04, 07:00 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by JM
You can buy 3 RG6 cables of the desired length and put RCA ends on them (they make screw on ones). This should be very economical and excellent quality. You may want quad-shielded RG6 if you will be running them in an electrically noisy environment (next to AC lines etc.).
Really? That would work and work well? I looked on line (it is now to late for me to do what I wanted before I go out of town again) and it was about $35 for three 30 ft RG6 cables and the RCA ends were only like $3.00 for all six of them.

Since I know can go back to looking on line and don't have to get locally, any other specific recommendation? My goal is to now have the media room 100% finished (except for furniture) by the Super Bowl.
Old 12-29-04, 04:17 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by JM

I'm using quad shield with conectors on the ends (works great!!)

here's a tutorial I had saved on my pc (I would link where it came from if I could remember)

"The reality of things is that RG6 is what people like NBC uses. They don't use silver imbued oxygen free copper or rare earth metals. No, they use RG6. "But RG6 is cheaper than all that magical stuff. Surely it can't be as good" you may say. The fact is, you can run RG6 out about 300 feet before you have to start caring about signal loss. Most of the boutique cable companies only make at most 75 foot cable lengths. I guess their stuff has higher signal loss. Bummer.

Like every other cable out there, you do have to make sure you keep it at least a foot away from power cables, or if you have to cross a power cable, then do it at a right angle to minimize interference. Other than that, RG6 is almost magical, especially versus the other "fancy" stuff.

You can get the quad shielded RG6 if you want to, but that's pretty much just for running cable in outdoor conditions. Make sure you get copper core 75 ohm RG6. A steel outer braid is perfectly fine, but make sure the inner core is copper. Go get a cable crimper, a cable stripper and some RCA crimp down ends. You might as well get some colored heat shrink tubing so you can tell which cable is which. Radio Shack has all this. Most hardware stores at least have the crimper and the stripper. If you order online, then they'll probably have everything you need, including the crimp on RCA ends. You don't need $9 crimp on ends either. Once they're connected, they're all about the same.

To make component, just cut a length of cable from your bulk spool of RG6, strip the ends, crimp on the RCA connectors, test to see if you have a good connection. My cable crimper and stripper both had instructions how to use the on the back of the packages. It was very straightforward.

If making your own seems like a little more than you want to get your hands into, then you can always just buy Radio Shack gold series cable TV cables, and stick f-type to RCA converters onto them. You'll basically get the same effect as using RG6 (being that's what they are), but with less work albeit at a higher price. You also don't get custom lengths.

Ok, so far I've mentioned how to make RCA cables. That lets you run out composite and component cables. There's nothing special to composite cables, and the only gotcha with the component cables is that all three have to be the same length, though this isn't much of an issue. S-Video cables are little trickier, but not much so.

If you look at the end of an s-video cable, you'll see 4 pins. An RG6 cable has two connectors. Hmmm... If you can make or buy an s-video breakout adapter then you can send this signal over a pair of RG6 cables.

At first, I went out and bought a s-video break out adapter from Tsunami Connection was simple enough, just plug the pair of connectors onto opposite ends of a pair of RCA cables, and then plug the whole thing in like it was a regular RCA cable. Simple and done.

Here's what you need from Radio Shack:
Part # 278-1627: heat shrink tubing
Part # 278-451: s-video plug
Part # 42-2545: just about anything with two female RCA connectors that you can cannibalize"
Old 12-29-04, 09:26 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Thanks so much. I think that is the route I will go. I may even try to make the cables myself.