Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

Can't change receiver so that it plays out of rear speakers!?!

Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-04, 09:39 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My receiver is a Sony model (I have no idea). Anyway, it's a 5:1 and got all these programmed in settings for when playing a Game, cinsysA, B, and C and a bunch of others. But for some reason, I have it set to only play out of the front three and the SW. I have tried to reset it, but can't find the manual. Is there an general override for sony receivers that will reset to default settings. Even when I go through menus and highlight the back speakers, it just goes returns to the front 3 only set up. Also there's a little blue light on the front that used to glow when playing dolby and it doesn't do that anymore. It's not broken or anything, but I've just screwed up programming it and am stuck with it the way it is. Any suggestions? Thanks for reading.
Old 12-21-04, 12:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Anyone? I would settle just to know how one resets the settings to default.
Old 12-21-04, 01:46 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

You should be able to reset the settings by holding the power button on the receiver for a few seconds, it will go into a demo and should reset the settings.

Another option is to unplug the receiver for a long period of time ~1-3 days and I know it will reset.

It isnt by chance an STR-DE445??
Old 12-21-04, 01:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by cseyer
You should be able to reset the settings by holding the power button on the receiver for a few seconds, it will go into a demo and should reset the settings.

Another option is to unplug the receiver for a long period of time ~1-3 days and I know it will reset.

It isnt by chance an STR-DE445??

I'm not sure which model it is. I might be. or te str-de897. either way, I have accidentially turned off the Dolby thing too. Would that reset if I reset the power?
Old 12-21-04, 01:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Oh, and it's silver by the way.....if that matters. Thanks a lot for your help.
Old 12-21-04, 02:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
Look on the receiver either the front or the back.

Find the model number and either search the web for the manual or report back here.
Old 12-21-04, 03:28 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

All three of my past and current Sony receivers would reset after holding the power button, give that a shot. If it doesnt work post the model number and I can find the manual.
Old 12-22-04, 08:48 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by cseyer
All three of my past and current Sony receivers would reset after holding the power button, give that a shot. If it doesnt work post the model number and I can find the manual.

Yeah, it reset but then went back to only showing that the front 3 speakers were lit up (on). Anyway, I'll get the model number and look up the manual online. Thanks everyone for your help.
Old 12-22-04, 10:56 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

What surround setting do you have the reciever set to? Not all surround settings will give you sound from all speakers. You need to use the Studio A,B or C and a few others to get the 5 speakers to be used. Check your manual and it will show a spreadsheet of each suround setting and what speakers will play in any particular setting.

You also need to go into the setup setting to tell the receiver how many speakers you have attached to the receiver.