Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Reviews and Recommendations
Reload this Page >

DVD Talk review of 'Resident Evil:Apocalypse Se'

DVD Reviews and Recommendations Read, Post and Request DVD Reviews.

Old 12-21-04, 09:22 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I read Daniel W. Kelly's DVD review of Resident Evil:Apocalypse Se at http://www.dvdtalk.com/reviews/read.php?ID=13735 and...

This is one of the worst reviews I've read in a long time. The whole thing sounds like it's a poor excuse to bash other genre films (e.g. 28 Days Later: "the crappiest excuse for a zombie movie ever") and is a testament to this snobby reviewer's arrogance and ignorance.

Sorry, but all I've learned from this review is that he apparently has some grudge against "supposedly brilliant movies I will never bother watching, including The Matrix and Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon", and how much he liked "Raccoon City, lickers, Nemesis, the computer animated version of Jill Valentine brought to life by a dead ringer, Carlos, action and camera angles that feel like the videogame—even boss battles!"

Call me old-fashioned, but...

You don't do a filmmaker and his movie any favour by bashing other much-beloved favourites. I know, to each his own. I'm not a particularly big fan of The Matrix myself, but I can see why a lot of people like it. But seriously, you won't convince ANYONE to watch RE:Apocalypse by saying "Watch it, coz all those supposedly superior movies you like suck donkey balls!" Now, if you nonetheless feel the urge to do that, please, you should at least WATCH these films BEFORE pissing on them.

A review should tell me if I can enjoy a movie without prior knowledge of the video game. You drool over "lickers", video-game camera angles and "boss battles". Huh? What about the acting, screenplay, special effects... well, everything that makes a movie good. I don't expect an in-depth mise-en-scene analysis RE:Apocalypse, but I'd really like to know if anyone else but video gamers (that is, approx 99% of humanity) can enjoy a flick like this.
Old 12-22-04, 07:20 AM
CineSchlock-O-Rama

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Well, you can't say our Danny Boy doesn't have an opinion, now can ya.

What's nifty about DVD Talk, is that you often get more than one take on a disc (plus the forum!) Not to mention you can even take issue with our reviews (as you did in a most appropriate way.)