Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Sam Peckinpah on dvd

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-04, 07:45 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Sam Peckinpah on dvd

with major dundee on the way on June (with 12 extra minutes mind you) and Bring Me the Head of Alfredo Garcia on March 22nd...any hope of convoy soon?

I know Pacific Entertainment sent out a dvd that supposedly turned to be a booted port of a R2 disc....it ended up misframed and they were sending threats and what not...now i can't even find this disc in stores.

did ta search, but not what I (and I assume most of you) want to know...where is it. WHo has the rights? Coming soon?

Hey while were at it if anyone has a complete Region 1 list of Peckinpah on dvd why not post it.

dvd savant review

movies thread about the dvd savant review

thread about convoy ratio that turned into all hell breaking loose and people getting pissed about the dvd savant review

really bad cover art

Last edited by Cameron; 12-20-04 at 08:39 PM.
Old 12-21-04, 03:23 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
That illegal Pacific cover is stolen from one of the European releases of Convoy. MGM own the USA rights as confirmed here

The best Convoy is the German one (www.amazon.de) because it's uncut (all the other European/USA discs are cut) and it's very cheap.

Excellent anamorphic 2.35:1 image too.
Old 12-21-04, 07:31 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Deadly Companions, 1961
-It's available R1 on many public domain DVD's (I have the Platinum Disc release and it looks okay), but these are all Fullscreen. I'd love to see an OAR (2.35:1), restored release of this, but I doubt we'll ever see it.

Major Dundee, 1965
-R1 coming soon

The Wild Bunch, 1969
-The R1 looks fine, but it's ripe for a rerelease SE.

The Ballad of Cable Hogue, 1970
-Currently no R1 release.

Straw Dogs, 1971
-The R1 Criterion release is the one to own - great transfer and excellent extras.

The Getaway, 1972
-The current Warner R1 release is okay, but even this lesser Peckinpah (IMO) deserves a special edition treatment (which I seem to remember reading somewhere is in the works).

Junior Bonner, 1972
-The MGM R1 release is excellent: it's cheap and it contains a great commentary that the previous Anchor Bay (now OOP) version lacked.

Pat Garrett & Billy the Kid, 1973

Bring Me the Head of Alfredo Garcia, 1974
-As the original poster stated, an R1 release is in the works (I'm hoping it has a commentary!). If you absolutley can't wait, there is an affordable R3 release from Spectrum (MGM, Korea) that looks great, has subtitles and is in the proper aspect ratio. This is my favorite Peckinpah film - highly recommended.

The Killer Elite, 1975
-The MGM R1 release looks fine, but has no extras other than a trailer and a booklet with some release notes. It's a lesser Peckinpah film, but hey - it has ninjas!

Cross of Iron, 1976
-The Hen's Tooth R1 release is Fullscreen and looks terrible. Seek out one of the non-R1 releases that are OAR. I have the R2 UK release (Warner) and it looks fine. This is Peckinpah's last great film, and it deserves a proper special edition release.

Convoy, 1977
-No legitimate R1 release currently. The German R2 is the way to go if you can't wait for MGM to release this here in R1-land. The Warner R2 UK release looks good, too. But as the other poster stated, it is slightly cut. But this is bottom-of-the-barrel Peckinpah, so there is no love lost there for me. I would like to at least see a release with a commentary though, to explain the backstory on this film, which is far more interesting than the film itself.

The Osterman Weekend, 1983
-Peckinpah's last film gets an excellent release via Anchor Bay's deluxe 2-disc R1 release. It includes a great commentary and an alternate rough-cut of the film.

I would also love to see a DVD release of Peckinpah's excellent Westerner TV series. I have them on tape (from the Western channel broadcast earlier this year), but would love to see a nice box set release of this and his other TV work.
Old 12-21-04, 08:41 AM

Location: The Fair City of Detroit, ok, The Fair Suburbs of Detroit
Originally Posted by The Exister
The Wild Bunch, 1969

It does look good, but it is a flipper.
Old 12-21-04, 09:04 AM

I think the UK disc is the best way to go for The Wild Bunch as it's anamorphic. A surprisingly good transfer (watched it a few nights ago) considering its age.

Sadly, the audio is horrible just like the R1 and it's a DVD18 (flipper). I moved mine to a single disc.

I'm a really big fan of Convoy. Some say it's fluff but I love it. It's got a few connections to The Wild Bunch too, which is nice.
Old 12-21-04, 11:57 AM
DVD Talk Legend

good list and quick rundown...
Old 12-30-04, 01:26 PM

[QUOTE=The Exister]Deadly Companions, 1961
-It's available R1 on many public domain DVD's (I have the Platinum Disc release and it looks okay), but these are all Fullscreen. I'd love to see an OAR (2.35:1), restored release of this, but I doubt we'll ever see it.

Major Dundee, 1965
-R1 coming soon

Huzza!

The Wild Bunch, 1969

Is there any word about a confirmed SE of this classic? Failing that, are there any non-R1 editions that have good sound, anamorphic ws, and are not flippers?

The Ballad of Cable Hogue, 1970

Pat Garrett & Billy the Kid, 1973

Are there any non-R1 editions of these two in OAR?

Thanks--here's to a Peckinpah boxed set of Special editions!

Scott Connors
Old 12-30-04, 01:34 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Not only is Wild Bunch a flipper, but it's a damn snapper, too.
And I totally agree that Cross of Iron has a shitty DVD release. I really hope some good company will pick up the rights for R1 and release a nice SE.
Old 12-30-04, 01:45 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 918 Likes on 775 Posts
Originally Posted by Daniel Windsor
That illegal Pacific cover is stolen from one of the European releases of Convoy. MGM own the USA rights as confirmed here

The best Convoy is the German one (www.amazon.de) because it's uncut (all the other European/USA discs are cut) and it's very cheap.

Excellent anamorphic 2.35:1 image too.
yes, but the shipping is 3x the cost of the movie and comes to $30USD. I can't read German, but is there a cheaper shipping method that can be selected? Thanks.
Old 12-30-04, 02:39 PM
Cool New Member

God, what a neglected director. Hopefully, the Warner set will do him some justice.
Old 12-30-04, 04:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

What warner set?
Old 12-30-04, 04:38 PM
Cool New Member

Warner has said they are working on a Peckinpah box, but they haven't announced a release date yet. I believe it's suppose to include:

Ride the High Country
The Ballad of Cable Hogue
Pat Garrett & Billy the Kid
The Wild Bunch : 2-disc SE
Old 12-30-04, 04:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by nightshadebooks
Warner has said they are working on a Peckinpah box, but they haven't announced a release date yet. I believe it's suppose to include:

Ride the High Country
The Ballad of Cable Hogue
Pat Garrett & Billy the Kid
The Wild Bunch : 2-disc SE
Well thank God for that...Warner has pleased me in 2004.......2005 isn't looking to bad.
Old 12-30-04, 05:16 PM

Received 99 Likes on 82 Posts
if true.
Old 12-31-04, 01:17 AM

Originally Posted by scott1598
yes, but the shipping is 3x the cost of the movie and comes to $30USD. I can't read German, but is there a cheaper shipping method that can be selected? Thanks.
There are lots of other German exclusives (do a search on the International Forum). I think you can add quite a few DVDs and the shipping goes up very little (if at all).

Or do a co-buy or buy 5 and sell them.

I don't speak German either and there's no need to thanks to things like Babel Fish Amazon.de will also reply in English if you look at their help page.
Old 12-31-04, 07:35 AM

Originally Posted by scott1598
I can't read German, but is there a cheaper shipping method that can be selected?
No.
Old 12-31-04, 09:44 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Scott Connors
The Wild Bunch, 1969

Is there any word about a confirmed SE of this classic? Failing that, are there any non-R1 editions that have good sound, anamorphic ws, and are not flippers?
There was a Warner chat a few months back where they said they're working on a new version which will restore even more footage Peckinpah was forced to cut. So, on the one hand, it sounds cool, and sounds like it will look great, but, on the other, you might want to get the one that's out now if you want to have this cut. I doubt they'll put it on the new one (I'd love to see what the theatrical cut actually was, having only caught up with it when the first director's cut came out).
Old 12-31-04, 07:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

it could be on there...like strangers on a train....both versions are on the past 2 out of 3 releases
Old 01-24-05, 02:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Old 12-01-05, 09:02 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Any idea on Cross of Iron's best release? I need OAR disc. When does hen's tooth lose the rights to this?
Old 12-06-05, 10:24 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
Diabolikdvd has a very good all region/ntsc from Korea.
Old 12-06-05, 10:30 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Cameron
Any idea on Cross of Iron's best release? I need OAR disc. When does hen's tooth lose the rights to this?
Ugghh, what a bad disc. I saw the movie a LONG time ago with that disc, and I didn't like the film alot, in good part because of the almost unwatchable quality. I'd love to see a nice re-issue of this.
Old 12-06-05, 10:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

i'll have to check out the korean disc...
Old 12-07-05, 09:40 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
[QUOTE=The Exister]Deadly Companions, 1961
-It's available R1 on many public domain DVD's (I have the Platinum Disc release and it looks okay), but these are all Fullscreen. I'd love to see an OAR (2.35:1), restored release of this, but I doubt we'll ever see it. [QUOTE]

There's a beautiful anamorphic widescreen version available from Japan. You wouldnt believe how good it looks (especially if all you've ever seen is the PD versions)!