Search this Thread

Old 12-20-04, 11:08 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Chappelle's Show Season 3 (and Season 2 DVD) delayed several months

From http://nypost.com/entertainment/36791.htm

SICK HUMOR

By MICHAEL GILTZ
PHOTO Dave Chappelle is getting a late start on season three of his show.

Email Archives
Print Reprint

December 20, 2004 -- EXCLUSIVE

THE new season of "Chap pelle's Show" — the hot test sketch comedy series on television and a record-setting bestseller on DVD — has been pushed back months from Feb. 16 to late April or May.

Illness and a "Sopranos"-like display of artistic control are to blame, officials say. Dave Chappelle is under the weather with the flu and borderline walking pneumonia, according to Tony Fox, the executive vice president of corporate communications at Comedy Central.

As well, Chappelle is not sticking to a predictable timetable for delivering new episodes of the show, famous for parodying Rick James ("I'm Rick James, b——!") and exploring issues of race and class with scathing humor.

"Dave— and his entire production crew for that matter — got a bit of a late start on writing season three," says Fox. "We're behind on the writing. He was recently sick for more than a week. There had been a built-in hiatus in the production schedule for the holidays.

"We had about 10 days of production left, so we pushed that through the end of the holiday break to give him some time to recover and get some writing time in. We'll resume production in January, so we're not exactly sure what that means in terms of launch date."

The first season debuted in January of 2003 and quickly became the cable channel's hottest property alongside "The Daily Show With Jon Stewart" and "South Park."

Season two debuted in January of this year and turned into a genuine phenomenon.

It regularly drew more than 3 million viewers, and the DVD set of season one came out a month later, quickly becoming the top-selling TV show on DVD of all time (though "Seinfeld" is expected to surpass it this season).

Chappelle toyed with ending the show on a high note.

But he eventually re-signed with Comedy Central in a precedent-setting deal that paid him to continue as star, executive producer and writer of the series and gave him a piece of the DVD profits (something even movie stars don't typically get).

The two-year deal for 26 shows could be worth some $50 million, depending on sales.

The DVD set of season two has also been delayed to tie-in with the TV launch of season three.

"We're still talking to Dave and his team, seeing where we are in the writing," says Fox. "Bottom line: We're behind. If I had to guess, I'd say April or May at the earliest. No later than May."

Along with the show, Chappelle has been working on other projects, including a feature film along the lines of 1973's "Wattstax," which featured legendary stand-up by Richard Pryor.

The untitled film — directed by Michel Gondry of "Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind" — combines Chappelle's sketch comedy with a Brooklyn "block party" concert filmed in September and featuring musical guests like Mos Def (a frequent guest on the show), Kanye West, Common, Erykah Badu and a reunited Fugees.

There is no release date for the film.

Chappelle's $500,000 book deal with Disney-owned Hyperion also appears to

be in flux.
Old 12-20-04, 06:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
'Chappelle's Show' Premiere Delayed

NNNNNOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

'Chappelle's Show' Premiere Delayed
(Monday, December 20 03:14 PM)
LOS ANGELES (Zap2it.com) The third season of "Chappelle's Show," originally scheduled to premiere in February, has been pushed back to March or April. The late launch for the Emmy nominated Comedy Central hit has been traced back to its star's health problems.

According to the New York Post, Dave Chappelle has been suffering from the flu and borderline walking pneumonia.

"Dave -- and his entire production crew for that matter -- got a bit of a late start on writing season three," Tony Fox, the executive vice president of corporate communications at Comedy Central, tells the Post. "We're behind on the writing. He was recently sick for more than a week. There had been a built-in hiatus in the production schedule for the holidays."
Fox continues, "We had about 10 days of production left, so we pushed that through the end of the holiday break to give him some time to recover and get some writing time in. We'll resume production in January, so we're not exactly sure what that means in terms of launch date."

After acquiring some cult stature in its first installment, "Chappelle's Show" became a hit when its second season premiered this January. The show, a mix of sketches, stand-up and musical performances, earned Emmy nods for outstanding variety, music or comedy series and also picked up writing and directing nominations in the same genre. The show's first season became the best selling TV-to-DVD set yet.

Although he flirted with the possibility of ending his Comedy Central show after the second season, Chappelle re-signed with the cable network back in August. The lucrative deal, which covers two more seasons, or 26 total episodes, helps the cable network hold on to one of its signature shows along with "The Daily Show" and "South Park."
Old 12-20-04, 06:49 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Chappelle is worth waiting a few extra weeks for.

Dave, get well soon and get back to work

bitch
Old 12-20-04, 07:35 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Harrumph. First off I posted this before you (nyah nyah) http://www.dvdtalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=401477

and secondly, it's not a delay of a few weeks, it's a few months.
Old 12-20-04, 07:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Yeah, but mine got replies, and yours died a cowards death, with no replies.

I win!

(Oh, and I didn't see yours posted)
Old 12-20-04, 08:39 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Mine lived to post another day.
Old 12-20-04, 10:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,403 Likes on 1,028 Posts
Wow, didn't know he was sick. Hope he gets better soon.
Old 12-20-04, 11:28 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Damnit... someone's gonna get pissed on.
Old 12-21-04, 02:53 AM

Didn't Bernie Mac's new season get delayed for almost the exact same health reasons? WTF....it just seems kinda odd to me. Anyway I hope they both get well soon.