Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

War of the Gargantuas Dvd?

DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Old 12-20-04, 11:52 AM
jetjaguar69

I 've been looking around for this dvd and it looks like there's no print of it on dvd. I was wondering if there's an import dvd version out there. I noticed there's a few copies of it on ebay, but it looks risky. Has anyone scored a copy of War of the Gargantuas(dvd) on ebay?

Thanks,
gj
Old 12-20-04, 04:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2,107 Likes on 1,447 Posts
The only one I'm aware of is the Japanese R2 DVD (Japanese title: SANDA TAI GAIRA), which doesn't have English subs. Any subbed DVDs you find on ebay will likely be bootlegs ported from this disc with added subs.

Seeing how Media Blasters will start releasing some non-Godzilla Toho SF DVDs starting next year, maybe they will eventually release this one (or else maybe Sony/Columbia will).
Old 12-20-04, 07:19 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'd love to get this as it was a childhood favorite of mine.
Old 12-20-04, 09:53 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I read somewhere a while ago (don't ask where or when) that Sony was supposed to release this along with the Godzilla aniversay DVDs as well as Frankenstein Conquers the World and Mothra. (I am look ing forward to all of these.
Old 12-21-04, 12:15 AM

I saw this ditty in San Francisco last month and it was in an immaculate widescreen print supplied by Sony (English dubbed). Here's to hoping a release is coming soon. Almost every movie shown at the Godzilla Fest was either soon to be issued or already issued on Region 1 DVD. Who knows but it's really a darn good film - even better than some of the Godzilla films they showed.
Old 12-21-04, 12:26 AM

Refresh my memory here...

Is this the one where the giant monsters look like Big Foot?
If so, I remember there was a green and brown monster.
Old 12-21-04, 09:23 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Centurion
Refresh my memory here...

Is this the one where the giant monsters look like Big Foot?
If so, I remember there was a green and brown monster.

yup... the Brown one was friendly and the green one ate people.

Also what most people dont know is that War of The Gargantuas was a sequal to Frankenstein Conquers the World.
Old 12-21-04, 10:03 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by cactusoly

Also what most people dont know is that War of The Gargantuas was a sequal to Frankenstein Conquers the World.
I never will forget seeing
Spoiler:
the big greenie eating that woman and spitting out her clothes
. I was 7 years old watching it on cable - I miss the days when something affected me that way. I guess I'm a jaded bastard.

I had totally forgotten it was a sequel.
Spoiler:
Didn't part of the original Frankenstein float around and sprout into 2 different ones?

Would buy a good DVD of this in a flash.
Old 12-22-04, 10:47 AM

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts
I read somewhere a while ago (don't ask where or when) that Sony was supposed to release this along with the Godzilla aniversay DVDs as well as Frankenstein Conquers the World and Mothra. (I am look ing forward to all of these.
Classic Media has the rights to Gargantuas and FCTW. They are supposedly going to release these on DVD, but no official announcement has been made.

Originally Posted by wago70
I saw this ditty in San Francisco last month and it was in an immaculate widescreen print supplied by Sony (English dubbed).
I was there too! Russ Tamblyn was a hoot. I'm pretty sure the print that was screened at Godzillafest was from a private collection (as was Rodan, and maybe Godzilla King of the Monsters).
Old 12-22-04, 02:57 PM

OK. It's all coming back to me now.

I remember the military using the mazers on the green one and nearly destroying half the trees in the forest just to zap the bastard!
Old 12-22-04, 04:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2,107 Likes on 1,447 Posts
I hope to see nice releases of this and FRANKENSTEIN CONQUERS THE WORLD (I'm a big Baragon fan ). But Classic Media? Their releases sure haven't impressed me so far.
Old 12-22-04, 05:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
This movie was one of the best films ever to be shown on Seymore's Fright Night when I was a kid... I even remember some Japanese bar/lounge-lady in the the middle of the movie, singing a song called "The Words Get Stuck in My Throat"... (This random memory is over 35 years ago--and for some reason I even remember the melody... )

Last edited by adamblast; 12-22-04 at 05:40 PM.
Old 12-23-04, 09:34 AM

The melody I remember most is actually not from War of the Gargantuas. It is the melody the two tiny women sing to arouse Mothra.

They make such a strange threesome.
Old 12-23-04, 02:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 457 Likes on 335 Posts
This is easily one of my 5 favorite Japanese monster movies. The miniature sets are outstanding, making the effects look that much better (this one really looks good - especially the airport scene), and the story is solid.

I've got the Toho laserdisc of this one in widescreen, and it is the best looking laserdisc that I've got. Crisp & clean with outstanding color - the prints shown on TV over the last 35 or so years is so substandard compared to the Toho LD version.

I'd buy an anamorphic widescreen DVD of War of the Gargantuas in a second if it came out!
Old 12-23-04, 06:01 PM

If any of you have the Godzilla Against Mechagodzilla DVD (2002 version, released in Region 1 around Sept-Oct '04) there's a very short, approximately 2 second clip from the War of the Gargantuas movie showing the Green Gargantua.
Old 12-23-04, 09:23 PM

Originally Posted by adamblast
This movie was one of the best films ever to be shown on Seymore's Fright Night when I was a kid... I even remember some Japanese bar/lounge-lady in the the middle of the movie, singing a song called "The Words Get Stuck in My Throat"... (This random memory is over 35 years ago--and for some reason I even remember the melody... )
yep, they got some blond American singer to sing that tune, that song was so popular cult-wise that devo even remade it!

Last edited by prince_of_saturn; 12-23-04 at 09:25 PM.
Old 12-23-04, 09:23 PM

Originally Posted by freudguy
Spoiler:
Didn't part of the original Frankenstein float around and sprout into 2 different ones?

Would buy a good DVD of this in a flash.
I think you are thinking of THE MANSTER?