Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Vertigo - something bad has happened...

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-04, 09:05 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vertigo - something bad has happened...Disc failure!

Let me make this perfectly clear, I *do not* believe in DVD rot. Having said that, I would like to thank all the people who have posted information when their discs "stopped" playing. Whether it's due to a manufacturing error or "bad glue" or some other unknown, it has happened to me again!

First, Born on the Fourth of July (1998 pressing) wouldn't play earlier this year and then this weekend I couldn't get Vertigo to play on two different DVD players and my laptop. I remember reading here that the original Vertigo (in the orange keepcase) was part of a "bad batch" Universal cranked out in the late 90s.

Is there a comprehensive list of "bad" Universal DVDs from this period? I'm aware of Warner Bros. and the first Contact DVDs that were a mess. Furthermore, I would like to know if this problem has surfaced with discs from any other studio. Thankfully I only have a handful of Universal DVDs!

Again, thanks to everyone who warns about discs failing to play.

Last edited by Duality; 12-20-04 at 12:16 PM.
Old 12-20-04, 09:26 AM

It depends on what you define "DVD Rot" to be. For some, it is just a term to describe delamination (separation) of the DVD layers in RSDL discs, most commonly affecting some earlier (1997-1999) discs manufactured by WAMO. However, it has occured even on some more recent discs too. Certainly it is not the same as the LD rot phenomenon.

Vertigo is one of the titles that has frequently been mentioned as affected by this. Fortunately for me, my original orange version has not succumbed to the problem (yet), at least the last time I checked a couple months back. However, I have had a few other discs go bad in this fashion, including Ghostbusters, My Fair Lady, and Disney's animated Hunchback of Notre Dame.
Old 12-20-04, 09:39 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Thanks. I own Ghostbusters and My Fair Lady. I'll check them today.
Old 12-20-04, 11:13 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I had Dragonheart and Apollo 13 go bad. Others have also mentioned Daylight.
Old 12-20-04, 11:45 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

If I may be cynical for a moment, has anyone thought that maybe these discs were designed to "expire"?

We all know of the 48 hour viewing limit DVDs that are now being test marketed. I wonder if early on maybe a couple studios experimented with disc materials that would render a DVD unplayable after a certain period of time. Since DIVX (pay-as-you-go viewing of DVDs) was failing miserably at the time, is this such an outrageous suggestion?
Old 12-20-04, 12:03 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts
Part of the problem is getting more than anecdotal information. Obviously if a large enough number of people report the same problem then it becomes a lot more credible.

Then again, it's a lot easier to consolidate information when thead's are titled so that you have a clue what they might be about rather than "Vertigo - something bad has happened..."
Old 12-20-04, 12:21 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

ctyankee,
My thinking was that something more than just another "I got a bad disc." post title would attract some attention, generate curiosity. Far too many people, myself included, have dismissed this problem far too long.

I'm sure you'll agree that when a disc is titled "Collector's Edition," the buyer is indeed collecting it for a very long time. Heck, all CDs/DVDs are collectibles. We purchase them with the intent of using them over and over again for a lifetime.

If you don't already own Vertigo, I bet you'll think twice when you do buy a copy!
Old 12-20-04, 12:24 PM

Originally Posted by Duality
Thanks. I own Ghostbusters and My Fair Lady. I'll check them today.
Is your's ok?
Old 12-20-04, 12:40 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Foad,
I'm working now. I'll actually be checking much later today.
Old 12-20-04, 12:54 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Vertigo stopped working a few months back also. It was my second disc (that I know of at least) that went bad in my collection of about 400. It has turned me into more of a renter than a buyer though -- I had only watched Vertigo once and when I had to urge to watch it again, it didn't work. $20 to watch a dvd once is too steep for me.
Old 12-20-04, 12:58 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

texasgator,
You should contact Universal. They exchanged my Born on the Fourth of July, no problem. Also, even though I purchased Vertigo years ago, I still had my receipt and the store honored it for an even exchange!
Old 12-20-04, 12:58 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
UNO DOS TRES CATORCE
Old 12-20-04, 01:14 PM

Originally Posted by DonnachaOne
UNO DOS TRES CATORCE

Old 12-20-04, 01:19 PM

I guess I'll be saving my DVD receipt from now on...
Old 12-20-04, 03:11 PM

Is there an orange version of the Vertigo disc prior to the clear one with the 'Vertigo' logo on it? I got mine from the Universal Hitchcock box...and so far, so good. Nothing unusual with that disc yet.
Old 12-20-04, 03:44 PM
DVD Talk Legend

mine was in the box set as well...plays fine
Old 12-20-04, 03:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 82 Likes on 49 Posts
My Ghostbusters died about a year ago. I picked it up on release day back in '99 (was it 99?). The dead DVD was made at the WAMO facility (said so on the ring of the DVD. I contacted Sony and got a new version. The new one comes from another facility. It plays just fine.

Andrew
Old 12-20-04, 04:12 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by GuyverX
Is there an orange version of the Vertigo disc prior to the clear one with the 'Vertigo' logo on it? I got mine from the Universal Hitchcock box...and so far, so good. Nothing unusual with that disc yet.
The first release had a cool orange cover on the keepcase with a man falling into a spiral. I think it may have been the original movie poster art. The discs look the same.

Sorry, I didn't carefully read your question the first time.

Last edited by Duality; 12-20-04 at 04:31 PM.
Old 12-20-04, 04:13 PM

texasgator,
You should contact Universal. They exchanged my Born on the Fourth of July, no problem. Also, even though I purchased Vertigo years ago, I still had my receipt and the store honored it for an even exchange!
I went ahead and shot them an email. We'll see what they say. I'd gladly take a replacement -- it's a great movie!! (and I never did get around to watching the extras, but that's typical for me ...)
Old 12-20-04, 04:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by GuyverX
Orange *cover*, not disc. It was originally released with the movie poster art on the cover. When Universal put it in a box, they changed this cover (and the Psycho cover) to the new, more common Hitchcock Collection covers.

The disc itself looks identical in both the old and new edition. I don't think there's any difference at all.
Old 12-20-04, 04:42 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Let me make this perfectly clear, I *do not* believe in DVD rot.

you just believe in pathetic QC...right? hell man...I was whining about this obvious problem years ago, do a search. nobody in the higher ranks lends an ear. keep praying it's a limited problem. you'll be dealing with the same issues with the precious new format as well....all because they ignored it in the past.
Old 12-20-04, 04:51 PM

Is this the Vertigo with the orange cover, or the one from the Hitchcock Collection?
I want to buy this movie, and avoid the bad one.
Old 12-20-04, 05:01 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Vertigo with the orange cover is the defective batch.
Old 12-20-04, 05:48 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 444 Likes on 311 Posts
I think they might be coming out with an anamorphic Vertigo dvd pretty soon, anyways.
Old 12-20-04, 06:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Vertigo and Psycho anamorphic would be welcome

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.