Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Reviews and Recommendations
Reload this Page >

"Cloak and Dagger" review discussion...

Community
Search
DVD Reviews and Recommendations Read, Post and Request DVD Reviews.

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-04, 11:48 AM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 940 Likes on 788 Posts

I read Daniel W. Kelly's DVD review of Cloak & Dagger and thought it was so harsh for such a fun and entertaining movie. It is a classic and one I remember to this day watching many times as I grew up. I couldn't wait to get my hands on it and so glad I did.

Though I haven't watched it again, I can't imagine any of the luster wearing too much off and the nostalgia brought back two fold. This movie is all about nostalgia for those of us that want to partake.

I mean this movie was born and bred in the 80's and very much belongs there. The game, the 5200, whatever elements were encompassed aren't really meant to translate into 2005, there simply there to reflect with jubilant glee. Daniel, I think you missed that. Saying "And in actuality, although it’s a fun movie—it’s not the most technologically advanced, so unfortunately, I don’t think it would keep today’s kids engrossed"...how could it be the most technologically advanced when it was made in 1984. I don't think this DVD is marketed for kids of today anyway. They really haven't been on shelves and I don't think a 12 year old would have even heard or care much about.

This DVD was produced barebones, with the film only, for me! and others that want to re-live, even for just an hour and a half.
Old 12-18-04, 12:21 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Location: WAS looking for My Own Private Stuckeyville, but stuck in Liberty City (while missing Vice City)
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by scott1598
Saying "And in actuality, although it’s a fun movie—it’s not the most technologically advanced, so unfortunately, I don’t think it would keep today’s kids engrossed"...how could it be the most technologically advanced when it was made in 1984.
He's saying that the times have changed. The young'uns don't want a movie like this where, as Daniel states

"What’s refreshing about the film is that Henry Thomas is no superhero. He’s no Spy Kid. I guess you could say this movie is more realistic, because he has to rely on his own wits when being shot at—he even has a go at driving, believe it or not, with the help of his imaginary buddy Jack Flash."
They want "Agent Spy Kid Banks". They want the fancy gadgets. They want the "X Game"-type stunting. They need explosions every five minutes. All shot "MTV-style". If a kid today were to watch this flick, it would be the equivalent of watching a leaky faucet drip. Sheer Torture.

Oh, and about the "technologically advanced" comment? Well, though it was '84, there were other movies to utilize technology such as Star Wars, Superman, any Bond movie, etc. So, being a product of the '80s really isn't a good defense.

That said, I enjoyed watching it again and i'm glad it's in my collection.
Old 12-18-04, 07:38 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 940 Likes on 788 Posts
rogue, you and Daniel I think missed the point entirely. If you read my lil review I said this is no way intended for kids of today and never should have been reviewed as such. This was a movie for me and perhaps you if you are of age, but is no way marketed for today's tots.

Yes, but this movie has nothing to do with technological advanced products that shouldn't even be an issue. And comparing to "Superman" and "Star Wars"? are you kidding? this movie is nowhere in the realm as those and one has nothing to do with the other.
Old 12-18-04, 09:01 PM

Well this is the time we live in, kids in movies act like adults ,hell kids in real life act like adults...it was a more inncocent time then...in the movie he is forced to act like an adult but hates it and is scared as hell, and makes it through only with the help of an imaginary friend and then his dad. These days they would have a smart ass kid throw on a pair of shades and mug it for the camera with no remorse for anything. Worth owning if only to have a likable kid act realistic in a movie...I'm very happy to have this one in my collection.
Old 12-18-04, 10:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 262 Likes on 184 Posts
Originally Posted by Rogue588
They want "Agent Spy Kid Banks". They want the fancy gadgets. They want the "X Game"-type stunting. They need explosions every five minutes. All shot "MTV-style".
Back in 1984, our parents were saying the same things about us, complaining about how the (literally) videogame-style movies like Cloak and Dagger were destroying their children's attention spans. Back in their day, a good children's movie was Chitty Chitty Bang Bang, and by god you sat there and watched the whole thing for 2 and a half hours!

And of course, at that time their own parents were making similar complaints.
Old 12-19-04, 01:42 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

If you've seen the film, then you don't need to read a review to tell you about the movie. If you've never seen the film, then the review is very accurate. I saw it back in the 80s, and I bought the dvd. The movie didn't hold up well for me, and I already sold the disc. For people thinking about getting the disc for reasons other than nostalgia or "jubilant glee", the review is spot on. It's a mediocre kid's film from the 80s, and that's about it.
Old 12-19-04, 04:18 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Location: WAS looking for My Own Private Stuckeyville, but stuck in Liberty City (while missing Vice City)
Originally Posted by scott1598
rogue, you and Daniel I think missed the point entirely. If you read my lil review I said this is no way intended for kids of today and never should have been reviewed as such. This was a movie for me and perhaps you if you are of age, but is no way marketed for today's tots.

Yes, but this movie has nothing to do with technological advanced products that shouldn't even be an issue. And comparing to "Superman" and "Star Wars"? are you kidding? this movie is nowhere in the realm as those and one has nothing to do with the other.
I was in no way comparing "Superman" and "Star Wars" to this movie. I was simply responding to your comment:
how could it be the most technologically advanced when it was made in 1984.
Perhaps I misunderstood and read that your were talking about the special effects instead of gadgets? However, looking at it the other way, if we ARE talking about "technologically advanced" props, look no further than the James Bond flicks.

Perhaps you should go watch it again and then see how you feel about it. I had the same rose-coloured view of the movie too.
Old 12-19-04, 09:49 AM

Originally Posted by D-Ball
If you've seen the film, then you don't need to read a review to tell you about the movie. If you've never seen the film, then the review is very accurate. I saw it back in the 80s, and I bought the dvd. The movie didn't hold up well for me, and I already sold the disc. For people thinking about getting the disc for reasons other than nostalgia or "jubilant glee", the review is spot on. It's a mediocre kid's film from the 80s, and that's about it.
Totally disagree, I think this movie held up very well. I mean if your stuck on the 80's thing then your missing the whole point. I think as an adult I understood more about it's message then I did when I was a kid so it was rather refreshing to appreciate the father son aspect ,growing up without one of your parents et, how heros are right in front of us every day. It's to bad people have to look at movies from other time periods and not be able to look past that or look past that it has kids in it. I watched the first Star Wars movie ,(which I saw as a kid in the theatre) as more of a kids flick now then this is, and I beleive this holds up better.