Reload this Page >

RotK:EE General talk

DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Old 12-18-04, 06:21 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The disk has been out since Tueday, but I haven't really seen much discussion about it except for the mail order box offer and a technical glitch. What does everyone thing of the movie and extras?

Favorite parts? Gripes?
Old 12-18-04, 07:51 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Panda Phil
The disk has been out since Tueday, but I haven't really seen much discussion about it except for the mail order box offer and a technical glitch. What does everyone thing of the movie and extras?

Favorite parts? Gripes?
Incredible. Could use some editing though. The battle scenes go on and on and on. ZZZZZzzzzzzzzzzzzzz....
Old 12-18-04, 07:57 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by MrVette99
Incredible. Could use some editing though. The battle scenes go on and on and on. ZZZZZzzzzzzzzzzzzzz....
I agree, I wish there was a shorter version available. Cut so it would at least fit on one disk.
Old 12-18-04, 08:51 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 289 Likes on 214 Posts
I have a few gripes about the EE edition, and the editing (Wolf's Head ending on Disc 1), and I would have preferred an even longer edition, because the movie is 4hrs by having so many different stories interwoven. Even at 4hrs, the movie seemed to move way too fast.

The major battle scenes should have been extended even longer due to the climax of the entire story. Great effects for sure, but I also had a problem with the lack of battle mayhem and display of blood--not that I want a total gorefest, but seeing all of the stuff that happened, and no blood on the battlefield--even orc blood, was kind of a let down. I think for a PG-13 rating, you could certainly get more in there, and I've seen some pretty gory pictures with a PG-13 rating.

And of course, all the major characters escaped with few to basically no bruises at all. I mean, come on. We could have added at least some near misses so it would fit the Tolkein saga, but it seemed as if Legolas was just an amazing gymnist, and so on. This may not be totally PJ's fault, so I'll let this go a little bit.

Also, the editing of the actual action in combant scenes (orc-on-human) was, I have to say, rather disappointing. The action was filmed so close-up in so many cases, that is was obvious PJ wanted to keep it so he could avoid actual combat scenarios--watch braveheart and the combat scenes and you'll know what I mean because here, you have full-swing action, from start to finish, versus in LOTR, where you have IMPLIED action and slicing and cutting. You see way too many instances, where the actors are about to slice an orc, and then CUT--to another battle scene. Even with a PG-13 movie, you could do something about this.

And my fave. Liv "Horse Lips" Tyler, showing up at the end. This made laugh so hard, I just couldn't take anything seriously after that appearance. Why the hell did PJ select this woman. There were many others which could have done a better job. This character could have been an opportunity for a newcomer to the movie screne, but no, we pick the worst actor available on the planet. And as far as looking like an elf, this is a joke too. Everyone else looked fine, but Liv just sucked.

I have a lot of great things to say about LOTR, but I also have a lot of things to say that are maybe irreverant, because many are saying LOTR can do wrong. Well, I have to disagree. One of these days I'll write a full review on this.

As far as it being too long, well, get a DVD changer.
Old 12-18-04, 08:54 AM

I thought the EE was great. LOTR EE gets my vote for best DVD of the year for the third year in a row.
Old 12-18-04, 12:21 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts
I tried to start a discussion thread here but no one felt like talking, I guess.
Old 12-18-04, 12:35 PM
Banned

I love the EE of ROTK has much as a man can love a movie, but theres two things that I wish were in there, that they shot, but still didn't put in. One is Denethor using his Palantir. And the other is at the end with Gimli and Legolas, Gimli showing Legolas the caves and Legolas showing Gimli the elven woods. I would have loved for those, but at least you get to see the Gimli/Legolas scene in the extras.
Old 12-18-04, 12:53 PM
Banned

Actually, and I hate to admit this, but I kind of prefer the theatrical cut editing a bit more. And I do mean, editing, not the extended or new scenes. The new scenes and extensions were fine. I just didn't like the jumping around from one group of characters to another. I could have swore that during the TC, a lot of these scenes were more coherant, meaning that more of those segments played longer and so therefore flowed better. But with the EE, we get snippets of each scene over a hour period.

For example, Frodo and Sam's trek up the staircase. It seemed like this went on forever through multiple cuts back to other characters like Gandalf and Pippen, and then to Theoden, Aragorn, Gimli, and Legolas. How long does it take to climb a bloody staircase.

But don't get me wrong, I loved all the extensions and new scenes, but the pace of the editing was a bit of a let down. I guess this is why PJ has always kind of said that the TC was the intended and preferred cut.
Old 12-18-04, 02:10 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by collven
I tried to start a discussion thread here but no one felt like talking, I guess.

that and there is two or three other threads based soley around the box. Another thread based around a question of the gift set. So far there is a lot of "general talk" threads for LOTR on the front page alone.

Besides that... General talk about a movie usually goes into Movie talk.
Old 12-18-04, 05:41 PM

Originally Posted by Mike Lowrey
How long does it take to climb a bloody staircase.
Days. It took a long time in the book, too. It wasn't just a mere staircase; it was a mountain.
Old 12-18-04, 05:57 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Duder
Days. It took a long time in the book, too. It wasn't just a mere staircase; it was a mountain.
Well, that may be, but if you watched the third disc, they make mention of why the story jumps around so much. They said it was the style of John Ronald (J.R. to you ) Tolkein to jump around a lot in his narrative. To tell you about one group of people, and then all of a sudden go tell you about another group of folks. So the viewer/reader is left there wondering, "Well gee, how long (of a time) between each of these events.

Granted the moutain range surrounding Mordor was high and treacherous, but because they had a staircase, it shouldn't have taken all that long, granted the staircase was extremely steep and in some cases, slanted outwards.
Old 12-18-04, 06:08 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

- Dolby sounds better than DTS
- Merry and Eowyn kicking ass felt out of place. They're not supposed to have experience. Especially Eowyn taking out the Witch King and slicing the Orc leader.
-Eomer running like a pansy after the battle
- Everything else was pretty good.
Old 12-18-04, 06:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 361 Likes on 304 Posts
not sure if anyone felt the same, but I really dug that Mouth of Sauron scene they added back in.
Old 12-18-04, 06:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 216 Likes on 155 Posts
As was the case for the previous versions, I prefer the EE cut to the theatrical. The gripes I have with it were relatively unchanged with the added 50 min though... Gimli's comic releif (even more in the EE) Lack of suspense during the battles - the characters acting invincible, the bloodless swords, etc... Minas Tirth and the Black Gate taking place in daylight...

Though ROTK is awesome and a great achievement, it is still my least fav out of the three.
Old 12-18-04, 06:53 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by matrixrok9
- Merry and Eowyn kicking ass felt out of place. They're not supposed to have experience. Especially Eowyn taking out the Witch King and slicing the Orc leader.
Eowyn is the one that kills the Witch King in the book, although the scene is written in the book
Spoiler:
so that you have no idea it is her at first.
Old 12-18-04, 07:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: the kingdom of the evil Voratians, ruled by the wicked Ak-Oga
Received 85 Likes on 48 Posts
Originally Posted by DGibFen
Eowyn is the one that kills the Witch King in the book, although the scene is written in the book
Spoiler:
so that you have no idea it is her at first.
I don't think you have to worry about spoiling a book that's been out for several decades.

One thing I thought was bad about the new scenes is a continuity problem with the "Mouth of Sauron" scene. After Aragorn cuts his head off, and they turn around to ride back to the rest of the group, you see the doors opening further, and the orc army advancing toward the open door. But...where is the body of the headless dude, or even the horse he was just on?

Last edited by The_Infidel; 12-18-04 at 07:46 PM.
Old 12-18-04, 10:54 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts
Why the hell did PJ select this woman. There were many others which could have done a better job. This character could have been an opportunity for a newcomer to the movie screne, but no, we pick the worst actor available on the planet. And as far as looking like an elf, this is a joke too. Everyone else looked fine, but Liv just sucked.

Yes, that is how Jackson picked his actors. Those that look like Elves in real life. Perhaps you can share with us an actress you thought would have done a better job in the role ...

My only wish was that the feature: Howard Shore: Creating "The Lord of The Rings" Symphony – A Composers Journey Through Middle-earth was included in the set. I am unwilling to purchase the premium set for (in essence) that and a glorified toy. Howard Shore's music complimented the visuals of the film so well. Then again, this is supposedly an abridged performance. Perhaps some day the entire performance will be sold as a stand-alone item. That would be terrific.

Having said that, Jackson and New Line treated us well. We can quibble abou t this and that but (collectively) the three EE sets stand unequaled.
Old 12-18-04, 11:17 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by matrixrok9
Definately agree. Especically with Pro Logic IIx and 7.1

Stew
Old 12-18-04, 11:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by DVD Polizei
And as far as looking like an elf, this is a joke too.
And there are real photos and/or factual documentation to let us know that an elf looks like what..........
Old 12-18-04, 11:28 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Yes, that is how Jackson picked his actors. Those that look like Elves in real life. Perhaps you can share with us an actress you thought would have done a better job in the role ...

Ok.

1) Gwyneth Paltrow

2) Nicole Kidman

3) Claire Danes

4) Naomi Watts

5) A new woman to make the screen? I'm sure we had many capable female actors who wanted the limited part in New Zealand and who would have looked more appropriate, and would have acted much better.

1-4 are all more EXPERIENCED actors, were around several years before LOTR was even made, and have a presence on the screen. Liv does not have a "resume" worth much, but since she has LOTR, this sure helped her a lot. Do me a favor and look at her acting career. Empire Records and Stealing Beauty were her best movies, in my opinion, but then she just slacked off since then. Maybe after she was considered a good actor, she just didn't try as much.

Just because LOTR is a successful and endless money pit, doesn't mean he is perfect director--it just shows how desparate we all are to finally have the Tolkien story on the screen and are willing to overlook some problematic issues of the production.

And it's also fine if you don't have the courage to question a director's choice, but I do. I am perfectly open to accepting any problems that PJ may have faced when recruiting talent for the LOTR. It could have been all the actors I cited above, were not available, and thought the LOTR would not be successful. So hey, given that problem, well, I'd accept that excuse but I'm sure Liv was damn expensive for the role, so he could have recruited some new talent for the screen.
Old 12-18-04, 11:30 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by The_Infidel
And there are real photos and/or factual documentation to let us know that an elf looks like what..........
We're not there yet.

But if you can justify her amazing acting abilities, then hey, let's see your justification. I already gave mine above.

Last edited by DVD Polizei; 12-18-04 at 11:32 PM.
Old 12-18-04, 11:35 PM
Banned

I've only seen it once but I'm very happy with it. I really liked the extra hobbit footage, Eowyn's dream(it belonged to Faramir in the book), the Witch King and Mouth, and especially the buildup to the Black Gate which felt very rushed before.

There are still problems: Frodo telling Sam to "go home" and Sam just walking back down the stairs is still a load of horseshit, and I wish they left out the Corsairs scene. It completely destroys the suspense and appearance of the Army at Minas Tirith later on which becomes redundant.
Old 12-19-04, 12:16 AM
DVD Talk Legend

We're not there yet.

But if you can justify her amazing acting abilities, then hey, let's see your justification. I already gave mine above.
Did I say anything about her acting ability? You basically said she looks nothing like an elf, and I called on you to tell us what a "real elf" should look like. We're still waiting...
Old 12-19-04, 12:23 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

I will not get suckered into what a real elf looks like. But I will try:

Old 12-19-04, 03:46 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Location: WAS looking for My Own Private Stuckeyville, but stuck in Liberty City (while missing Vice City)
1) Gwyneth Paltrow

2) Nicole Kidman

3) Claire Danes

4) Naomi Watts

5) A new woman to make the screen? I'm sure we had many capable female actors who wanted the limited part in New Zealand and who would have looked more appropriate, and would have acted much better.

1-4 are all more EXPERIENCED actors, were around several years before LOTR was even made, and have a presence on the screen. Liv does not have a "resume" worth much, but since she has LOTR, this sure helped her a lot. Do me a favor and look at her acting career. Empire Records and Stealing Beauty were her best movies, in my opinion, but then she just slacked off since then. Maybe after she was considered a good actor, she just didn't try as much.
Well, IMHO options 1-4 suck. 1 and 2 are VERY OVERRATED as far as acting "ability" is concerned. 3 isn't that much better. And, not to be nitpicky, but if you're slamming Liv for not having a "resume worth much", methinks you should take a look a Naomi's. Not much difference there. Quantity doesn't equal Quality.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.