Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Games that remind you of Christmas

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-04, 12:30 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts
Games that remind you of Christmas

What are some of the games that remind you of Christmas? And I dont mean where a Christmas extra is a bonus in the game (i,e Christmas Nights) but games that may have recieved at Christmastime that bring back fond memories. There are a number of games that come to mind when I look back.

Castlevania II: Simon's Quest
Tetris-Gameboy
Super Mario World
Final Fight
Super Double Dragon
Earthworm Jim
Megaman X
Super Star Wars, Empire Strikes Back, and Return of the Jedi
Mortal Kombat (SNES, Genesis)
Rocket Knight Adventures (Genesis)
Street Fighter Series (SNES)
Resident Evil: Director's Cut
Street Fighter Alpha 2
Super Mario 64
Castlevania: Symphony of the Night
Dracula X: Nocturne in Moonlight
Guilty Gear (PS1)

-zero
Old 12-18-04, 02:50 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 361 Likes on 304 Posts
Mortal Kombat 3
Fatal Fury
Street Fighter 2

all games I either got for X-mas or played to death with my cousins when I was younger.
Old 12-18-04, 06:10 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I remember right when Tecmo Super Bowl came out. Here, it was impossible to find it- I only had one friend who actually had it. I begged for it for Christmas, but I knew that my mom and dad would never find it. On Christmas morning, my brother and I woke up around 4 in the morning and ran out to the tree only to see a stack of presents with an unwrapped tecmo super bowl sitting on top. I think we played that game from then until midnight that day pausing only to watch our parents open gifts, eat and use the bathroom. One of my fondest Christmas memories.
Old 12-18-04, 07:37 AM

When I was alot younger and Nintendo first hit, I remember our family had fallen on very hard times. We were in bad shape financially. And all I wanted was a Nintendo even though I knew it would never happen. My dad had a car he was fixing up and having alot of fun with. A few days before christmas I noticed the car was gone. I asked my dad what happened and he told me "it's in the shop for a few things I couldn't fix on my own". On christmas morning I woke up and found a Nintendo under the tree. I found out later that he had sold the car to pay for the Nintendo. My dad still has never told me that's what he did but my mom shared it with me. Just shows the selfless acts some of our parents do to make us happy.
Old 12-18-04, 12:52 PM

Ninja Turtles for NES
Double Dragon II

Those were the two games I wanted the most that year. At $50 each, I wasnt expecting both and really hoping for one, but they were there. I'll never forget that.
Old 12-18-04, 01:19 PM
Cool New Member

Definitely Street Fighter 2 for SNES

My parents bought me a Genesis or the Menacer for Christmas. I don't really remember which, because I was playing Street Fighter 2 on the SNES my parents got for my sisters all night
Old 12-18-04, 01:41 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Picking up Ho, Ho, Ho's in GTA.
Old 12-20-04, 05:32 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 960 Likes on 667 Posts
Originally Posted by Link_182
When I was alot younger and Nintendo first hit, I remember our family had fallen on very hard times. We were in bad shape financially. And all I wanted was a Nintendo even though I knew it would never happen. My dad had a car he was fixing up and having alot of fun with. A few days before christmas I noticed the car was gone. I asked my dad what happened and he told me "it's in the shop for a few things I couldn't fix on my own". On christmas morning I woke up and found a Nintendo under the tree. I found out later that he had sold the car to pay for the Nintendo. My dad still has never told me that's what he did but my mom shared it with me. Just shows the selfless acts some of our parents do to make us happy.
Wow. That was actually a really nice story.

I have always asked for games around the holidays but a couple really stick out.

Couple of system releases: Mario 64 (this one everybody paid attention to since it was the start of 3D gaming and everyone was amazed)

Super Smash Brothers Melee

Zelda:LTP - This one definately brings back fond memories of playing constantly for at least a week and trying to figure out the different puzzles. I wish this game had a time on it. I really wonder how much time I put in it during that week.

Secret of Mana - It was getting pretty hard to find but my parents pulled it off and I had a blast playing multiplayer with my siblings.
Old 12-20-04, 06:02 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
When I think back on past x-mas's I realize that my moms really is the shit. Single parent, barely making enough to make ends meat, raising me and my mentally challenged sister, and yet she always came through when she had to wear the Santa hat. I got a lot of systems over the years but my best memories where when I got my NES w Mario and Duckhunt and my TG16 with no game in particular.

The NES was my first system and I just remember being so excited. Just hooking the damn thing up and turning it on for the first time, seeing the screen flicker...good times. I played Mario all that morning and all that night.

The TG16 was awesome. My mom had a bit of fun with me and gave me all my lame presents (read: shit I really needed - socks, undies, clothes) first. So after opening the last sweater/knit hat combo and realizing that was the last present I tried not to look too dissappointed. My mom had a bit of fun with this and let this go on for about an hour. Then she sent me out to the car to get something out of the trunk to get something where instead I found that glorious TG16 wrapped with military precision. Such a good memory.

Thanks for making me think of this.
Old 12-20-04, 06:49 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Some for Sega Genesis that I remember...Gargoyles: fun game; Toy Story: nice graphics; Earthworm Jim: perfect game.
Old 12-20-04, 07:33 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Earthworm Jim That's so funny, I felt the same way!

GoldenEye and Mario Karts! We all had so much fun playing those on Christmas.
Old 12-20-04, 08:08 PM

Blink 182... you almost made me cry. Cool story.

For me, I'd say my grandmother was always coming through. Not that my parents didn't get cool stuff, but grandma always knew how to top everyone else. This one time she go me THREE NES games! Out of the three the one I remember the most is Life Force. I know the other two were great too (I gave her a list of games I wanted), but I can't think of which games they were off the top of my head. My granny rocks!
Old 12-20-04, 10:40 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

N64 - Shadows of the Empire
Old 12-20-04, 11:19 PM
dgc
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Anything Colecovision!!!
Old 12-21-04, 08:49 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally Posted by jeffdsmith
N64 - Shadows of the Empire
Shadows of the Empire reminds me of my high school being cancelled due to snow. Whenever I hear Shadows of the Empire I think of that huge blizzard that cancelled two days of school.... in those two days I beat the game! I loved that last level.
Old 12-21-04, 09:01 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Hmmm. I only remember the Christmas that my parents gave me my first NES. I'd played Coleco and Intellivision a ton when I was younger. Probably a Christmas present in there somewhere as well but I must have been too young to remember.

It was the first year that Nintendo really got big. I didn't even ask for it, and it really never crossed my mind. When I opened it, I was shocked - a brand new NES and Excitebike. Played the hell out of Excitebike that holiday season.
Old 12-21-04, 10:22 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I remember when Super Nintendo launched, and my grandma got me one for xmas. It had Super Mario World w/ it and I remember coming home that night, hooking it up w/ my parents and playing it all night.
Old 12-21-04, 10:47 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 72 Likes on 53 Posts
I remember getting Ultima for NES along with a cassette of REM Green. I played Ultima for so many hours that next year while listening to Green and a Sex Pistols record.
Old 12-21-04, 11:13 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 917 Likes on 677 Posts
Keith's Courage-TG16
Loaded-PS1
TigerHelli-NES
Old 12-21-04, 01:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Capitol of the Empire! Center of all Commerce and Culture! Crossroads of Civilization! NEW ROME!!!...aka New York City
Originally Posted by Link_182
That was beautiful...I wondered what the thread title meant, but that story was perfect.
Old 12-21-04, 07:07 PM

Joe Montana-Sports Talk football
and Spiderman for the Genesis

One Christmas, I got both these games while my two best friends each got one of them. Neeldess to say that was poorly planned on our part.