Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

So tell me about these Yakuza Papers...

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-04, 08:55 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've been reading the reviews on the Yakuza Papers and I'm strongly considering a purchase. I really enjoy gangster films and I've been trying to expand my film-watching horizons beyond American films. How good is the set? Is it worth a purchase or are these films like a one time thing?
Old 12-17-04, 10:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mmmmmmmmmmoving to Movie Talk Forum.

- David Stein
Old 12-19-04, 05:07 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Nobody?
Old 12-19-04, 06:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 114 Likes on 101 Posts
I just started viewing "Act 1" of the set with Battles without honor or humanity via Netflix. I wasn't too impressed. Not sure If I want to conclude the series.
It's all based on a true story, but after seeing trailers of the other sequels, it all looks the same. Just the appearances by favorite actors like Sonny Chiba, Jo Shishido and Keji Meiko are the only things of interest for me to continue with the other movies.

But if you're interested in other old school yakuza films, I'd say give Graveyard of Honor or Steet Mobster a shot. Those 2 films (Both directed by Fukasaku) certainly grabbed my attention.
Old 12-21-04, 03:57 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Mondo Kane
I just started viewing "Act 1" of the set with Battles without honor or humanity via Netflix. I wasn't too impressed. Not sure If I want to conclude the series.
It's all based on a true story, but after seeing trailers of the other sequels, it all looks the same. Just the appearances by favorite actors like Sonny Chiba, Jo Shishido and Keji Meiko are the only things of interest for me to continue with the other movies.

But if you're interested in other old school yakuza films, I'd say give Graveyard of Honor or Steet Mobster a shot. Those 2 films (Both directed by Fukasaku) certainly grabbed my attention.
What genre would you put the film in? Is it more action like A Better Tommorow or is it more drama like The Godfather?
Old 12-21-04, 05:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 114 Likes on 101 Posts
Since they're more subdued than Woo's early films, I'd call them more into "Godfather" with a dash of hyperactivity and brief spurts of blood-red violence.
Old 12-22-04, 11:30 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
They're greatness.A little tuff to follow at times because of the amount of characters but I find this to only work for the film instead of against it for a couple reasons.

1)Replay value to sort out who is who and seeing little hints to their future ways.
2)Characters equally interesting as the main one.

The characters are done so well that in time you will find yourself liking the ones that even though their actions should cause you to dispise them, the portrayal by the actors are so great you'll being hoping they don't die.

The only turn-offs I can see ppl having for the movie is if you aren't very good with remembering the faces of Japanese actors you will be lost.Also if you like your action done nice and polished and consider yourself spoiled by today's stuff i'd stay away.

I actually just caught part 6 last night and it was good stuff.Not quite as good as the originals but still alot better then most yakuza flicks from that time period.Plus it was cool to see the actor who played Lone Wolf in the LW&c series come in for a nice big part as a gangster.