Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Magneto movie?

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-04, 04:19 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Magneto movie?

http://movies.yahoo.com/news/fs/2004...314413100.html

I dunno how this would go.
Old 12-15-04, 04:49 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Sounds kewl.
Old 12-15-04, 06:56 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Bring it on!
Old 12-15-04, 07:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post
yawn...
Old 12-15-04, 07:12 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Trigger
yawn...

My thoughts exactly. EXACTLY!

and I love Magneto as a character. I just don't see him working as a stand alone character in his own movie without the X-men or telling his back story.

Another Fox/Marvel movie I will care very little for.
Old 12-15-04, 10:35 PM

I think a younger Magneto flick would be interesting, maybe showing how he turned more to evil
Old 12-15-04, 11:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Jackskeleton
My thoughts exactly. EXACTLY!

and I love Magneto as a character. I just don't see him working as a stand alone character in his own movie without the X-men or telling his back story.

Another Fox/Marvel movie I will care very little for.
oh please, no backstory. The bit of back story from the first movie was mind-numbingly dull enough already. Yeah - let's go back to the concentration camp and revisit that excitement. ZZzzzzz
Old 12-15-04, 11:35 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
Uh.. Trigger, I was agreeing with you. I know it doesn't often happen. But I am on your side. No need to jump to the counter of my post. I know it's a basic instinct for you but in this case I agree, it would be boring.

And when I say "or telling his back story" it's suppose to imply that telling his back story will be worthless.

Magneto isn't a "Evil" guy. He cares about Mutants. He just dislikes humans for the treatment they caused mutants. So creating any sort of explaination to this has already been done and he isn't "evil" He just follows an extreme opposing view to normal humans. Simple as that.
Old 12-15-04, 11:49 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
[obligatory]I see Jude Law playing Magneto, or Xavier, or both[/obligatory]

This could be good. Instead of a big ol' band of mutants, Magneto's alone growing up, coming to terms with the great power he has on hbis own, and so forth.

That, and I want to see him pick up a Bel Air and fling it.
Originally Posted by Trigger
yawn...
Oh, you like Resident Evil.
Old 12-16-04, 12:27 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

The problem is that you are going to just see him view the world in such a negative light. Nothing really worth while really.

His view is that Humans need to accept the evolution of man and that Mutants shouldn't be the slaves or the outcasts. This really was already hammered home in the first film with 5 minutes. Nothing worth 2 hours to tell.
Old 12-16-04, 01:47 AM

At least the idea is original not a remake of an old movie! With so man years of X-men and they have nothing to tell about Magneto? Or how he was a freind of Xavier.
Old 12-16-04, 03:39 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Jackskeleton
Uh.. Trigger, I was agreeing with you. I know it doesn't often happen. But I am on your side. No need to jump to the counter of my post. I know it's a basic instinct for you but in this case I agree, it would be boring.

And when I say "or telling his back story" it's suppose to imply that telling his back story will be worthless.

Magneto isn't a "Evil" guy. He cares about Mutants. He just dislikes humans for the treatment they caused mutants. So creating any sort of explaination to this has already been done and he isn't "evil" He just follows an extreme opposing view to normal humans. Simple as that.
dude... I was agreeing with you also... I was throwing my 2 cents in about you bringing up "backstory". Kind of like if someone says "geez, I hate lines at the airport." and someone else goes "Uhg....fuckin airport lines, don't get me started..."

I'm not dumb - my first clue that you were agreeing with me was when you said "my thoughts EXACTLY!" And anyway - we agree more often than you seem to think we do.
Old 12-16-04, 03:53 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

With so man years of X-men
Only problem is that with all those years, a lot of them weren't soley about Magnus. I really don't see why or how they would do it. What? Do they just cut from Astroid M were an old Magento is sitting and flash back to his childhood and how he grew to hate mankind? It just doesn't work. We aren't suppose to feel for him so much as just realize that he is misunderstood in his quest for the "master race" The thing he wants to do is create a world for mutants. Ironic since he was a product of that whole Master Race situation. Not to mention that Ian is a great actor and a great magento. But he is far from any shape to really display any of Magento's bad ass ness in full form.

You would still need Professor X growing up with him and it just doesn't seem needed since we got it covered in the first five minutes of X-men. And don't get me started on the whole Joseph or Xorn aspects of the comics. That shit would just be annoying as all fuck. Do you introduce quick silver or Scarlet Witch? What exactly do you cover in the movie that would make it interesting?
Old 01-13-05, 11:03 AM

http://www.xmenfilms.net/xnews/12.html

http://www.superherohype.com/news/x-mennews.php?id=2458

XMenFilms.net has posted quotes from Magneto screenwriter Sheldon Turner which appeared in a recent issue of Entertainment Weekly:

Turner's intent for the film is to examine Magneto's "psychological roots". The plot will also deal with the character's friendship turned sour with Charles Xavier. The man who went on to form the team known as the X-Men.

"It's going to take place from 1939 Auschwitz up to 1955 or so," says Turner. With that in mind, that would make the film, MAGNETO a 'period prequel' to the X-MEN movies.

Since a major bulk (if not all) of the film will take place during this period, it is doubtful that actor Sir Ian McKellen will return for the film, though there are still possible ways of having the actor in portions of the film. The film will chronicle the character's early life, and what turned him against humans.
Old 01-13-05, 11:34 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by fryinpan1
http://www.xmenfilms.net/xnews/12.html

http://www.superherohype.com/news/x-mennews.php?id=2458

XMenFilms.net has posted quotes from Magneto screenwriter Sheldon Turner which appeared in a recent issue of Entertainment Weekly:

Turner's intent for the film is to examine Magneto's "psychological roots". The plot will also deal with the character's friendship turned sour with Charles Xavier. The man who went on to form the team known as the X-Men.

"It's going to take place from 1939 Auschwitz up to 1955 or so," says Turner. With that in mind, that would make the film, MAGNETO a 'period prequel' to the X-MEN movies.

Since a major bulk (if not all) of the film will take place during this period, it is doubtful that actor Sir Ian McKellen will return for the film, though there are still possible ways of having the actor in portions of the film. The film will chronicle the character's early life, and what turned him against humans.
Patrick Stwert would also not be needed then. However Hugh Jackman could be in there as Logan in a cameo since they said Logan is older than the professor.
Old 01-13-05, 11:54 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

To me, this sounds like an interesting concept. You do get enough of a background story to see why Magneto would dislike humans, but I still think a full-length story could be just as interesting.
Old 01-13-05, 11:00 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

there are many Xmen stories that can still be done without branching out into individual charactors. Maybee after the umpteenth Xmovie they can branch out. (with the noteable exception of a solo Wolverine story of course)
Old 01-13-05, 11:13 PM

Well, it's an interesting idea. Assuming they get good talent behind this, it could turn out to be a good film. It does seem like an odd choice, as the Magneto character I can't necessarily see being something that would make big bucks just by name alone, but perhaps that's a good thing...maybe they have something more here than just a marketing department pushing an idea to sell action figures.
Old 01-14-05, 07:47 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Yes, there is many X stories out there, as well as many X-characters. That doesnt mean they need to be made into movies. I just wish they would leave it alone now, and move to something else.
Old 01-14-05, 11:47 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,809 Likes on 1,129 Posts
Magneto is one of my favorite Marvel characters, especially after McKellen fleshed him out so well, so I wouldn't mind seeing something like this.

Hey they make it like Star Wars...Ep I, II, and III.
Old 01-14-05, 01:00 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts
Magneto is hardly an interesting enough character for me to enjoy a solo movie about his origins.
Old 01-14-05, 02:58 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Sounds dumb.
Old 01-14-05, 03:45 PM

Would be really cool if the majority of the movie focused on the Magneto/Xavier friendship years.

If he could do a decent accent, Michael Rosenbaum (Luthor on Smallville) would be cool as a young Xavier.

Erik's marriage to Magda and the twins would be a nice addition, too. Magda's twins...
Old 01-15-05, 07:24 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
At first I didn't like the idea of it but the more I think about it, the more I realise it could work.
Old 01-15-05, 09:28 AM
Suspended; also need updated email

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
The bottom line is a mediocre Marvel movie is to me more entertaining than most of the rubbish out there.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.