Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

XBN and GMR Gone

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-04, 01:19 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
XBN and GMR Gone

XBN and GMR Gone
Inside word says two of Ziff-Davis Media's gaming publications have been terminated.
By IGN Staff
December 13, 2004 - According to sources working within Ziff-Davis, two of the prominent publishing houses' prized magazines have been shut down. Xbox Nation (or XBN) was closed for unknown reasons, while the Ziff and EB Games collaborative effort that is GMR was apparently terminated as a result of the retail giant pulling support. Though no official comment has yet been given, we have been able to confirm with multiple sources within the company -- former employees of those specific magazines, even -- that the closures are final.

While the fates of the designers, managers, and editors behind both mags is still unknown, reports suggest that some may be switched over to other Ziff-Davis pubs, including Electronic Gaming Monthly, Computer Gaming World, 1UP.com, and Official U.S. PlayStation Magazine.
For those that do not retain employment, we offer our condolences. Losing a product you called your own for so long is never easy or enjoyable.
http://xbox.ign.com/articles/572/572...html?fromint=1
Old 12-15-04, 01:41 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts
My free subscriptions will be missed.
Old 12-15-04, 01:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
They still make magazines?!
Old 12-15-04, 01:43 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

the magazines were horrible anyways. not as bad as gamepro tho--how is that still in business?
Old 12-15-04, 01:56 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,650 Likes on 1,031 Posts
Originally Posted by DVDKrayzie
the magazines were horrible anyways. not as bad as gamepro tho--how is that still in business?
Are you kidding me? XBN is better than any other gaming magazine I read (including EGM.) About the only thing I've ever disagreed with is their glowing review of Fable. They have TONS of text in that mag, way better than the ad-bloated competitors. And they bash games that deserve bashing...I don't see any fanboy-type commments. I'll really miss XBN.
Old 12-15-04, 03:57 PM

Are you kidding me? XBN is better than any other gaming magazine I read (including EGM.) About the only thing I've ever disagreed with is their glowing review of Fable. They have TONS of text in that mag, way better than the ad-bloated competitors. And they bash games that deserve bashing...I don't see any fanboy-type commments. I'll really miss XBN.
I agree, XBN is/was one of the better mags out there, and they certainly didn't cater to MS or any X-Box fan boy sponsors. It's a real shame, but I fear that all of these free subscription offers are starting to hurt business - I mean, look at how many of us here have extended Stuff & FHM through 2010 (and thats just the ones who post - never mind the lurkers).

XBN will definitely be missed.
Old 12-15-04, 04:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Aren't the free subscriptions paid for by SOMEBODY though..?
I'm not sure how they work but usuaylly don't you take a survey or fill something out for another company?
Old 12-15-04, 04:05 PM

most times, but I'd have to imagine that promotional subs don't cost nearly as much as what joe consumer pays.

Maybe it's not a LARGE part of the problem, but I have to think that less funding, less ad revenue and lots of free subs going out to people can't be good things.

Meanwhile, as mentioned earlier, Lamepro lives on...
Old 12-15-04, 04:18 PM

Magazine's can charge a higher price for advertisers the larger their subscription base is. This explains the free subs frequently posted, although I'm sure there is some cost involved to offset the printing and shipping costs. Usually, this cost is recouped from the suddent growth in subscribers with increased ad revenue.

However, I'm guessing the higher than normal free subscribers has definately cut into profits but also think there are other factors involved. This theory applies to XBN rather than GMR which went under when EB pulled out... pun intended.

Maybe EA will buy out Ziff Davis and the world will be a happy place.
Old 12-15-04, 04:27 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,650 Likes on 1,031 Posts
On a side note, I signed up for Gamestop's discount program and got the Game Informer magazine with it. I figured it was going to suck but it's actually a really decent mag too...again, lots of text for game reviews and previews.
Old 12-15-04, 04:28 PM

Even though I don't own an Xbox, I'm quite partial to XBN. It reminds me of the good days of Next Generation/NextGen magazine. A lot of the aesthetics from NextGen can be seen in XBN.
Old 12-15-04, 04:41 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,185 Likes on 4,213 Posts
Crap!!!! I really liked XBN. It was about 100X better than OXM and while my OXM subscription ran out, In was good with XBN til 2008. That just sucks. I hope they at least roll my subscription over to EGM.
Old 12-15-04, 05:11 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

This really bums me out because XBN was my favorite of all the gaming mags. I agree with all the people who felt it was significantly better than OXM. *sniff* i will miss it.
Old 12-15-04, 10:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,073 Likes on 650 Posts
I hate to hear that about XBN. I actually paid for my initial subscription to them. Only after they offered a ton of free ones did I sign up that way. I would gladly pay for my sub to keep them around.
Old 12-16-04, 11:01 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

XBN is one of the more professionally looking gaming mags. Layout and design were superb. Unlike all the others that have a Stuff/Maxim/FHM vibe where they try and utilize 99.9% of every page, making the magazine look cluttered.
Old 12-16-04, 04:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post
Not that I always agreed, but at least XBN gave realistic reviews instead of giving everything scores in the range of 7-10.
Old 12-16-04, 05:34 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Sounds like you are referring to the Official Xbox magazine. The first year of release when every game mattered and competition was still fierce, I remember that. Every game was a must own! Nothing below a 7!
Old 12-16-04, 06:10 PM

WTH, I actually LIKED GMR!
Old 12-16-04, 06:39 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by WepaMan
Magazine's can charge a higher price for advertisers the larger their subscription base is. This explains the free subs frequently posted, although I'm sure there is some cost involved to offset the printing and shipping costs. Usually, this cost is recouped from the suddent growth in subscribers with increased ad revenue.

DING! DING! We have a winner. Most mags love to give you a subscription, its usally paid for and then they hope you'll pay for it once the subscription runs out. Even better for them.
Old 01-16-05, 02:19 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Past magazines that I have subscribed to, that went belly up, would usually offer to continue the rest of your subscription with a substitute publication. Any chance of that happening with XBN?