Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Video Game Talk
Reload this Page >

eBay Gameboy DS MADNESS - will it end after Christmas?

Community
Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-04, 11:57 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

People are paying upwards of $200 for an NIB DS. That is nuts. They aren't that hard to find in stores.

Does anyone expect the prices to be more reasonable after Christmas? I would even take a used one (e.g. someone got it as a gift and was like "Feh") for $80-$100.

Thoughts?
Old 12-15-04, 12:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
They are impossible to find in some areas.
Yes, they will go down in price after Christmas, people are consumer morons this time of the year.
But I wouldn't expect to find one for $80-$100 either.
Old 12-15-04, 12:23 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Thanksgiving I sold one for 172, which kinda sucked. I sold another one for $200 last week on Ebay. Love taking advantage of "morans".
Old 12-15-04, 12:36 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
they ARE hard to find in stores. just because you can find them where you live doesn't mean they are plentiful across the country.
Old 12-15-04, 12:42 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I can't find an Xbox anywhere. While looking at Walmart today, I noticed a stack of DS boxes though.
Old 12-15-04, 01:13 PM
Retired

Originally Posted by tek2k
they ARE hard to find in stores. just because you can find them where you live doesn't mean they are plentiful across the country.

Exactly, they seem to be easier to find in rural areas and harder to find in metorpolitan areas.

They were all over around my parent's in WV, but I've yet to see one on a shelf here in the DC/Baltimore area (though admittidly I haven't shopped for one since I bought one in WV).
Old 12-15-04, 01:43 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts
I thought about the ebay thing, but I read Nintendo said they would have 300-400 thousand more to retailers before Christmas. Or something like that.
Old 12-15-04, 01:47 PM

You wont have any stops in getting a DS after Christmas that's for sure.
Old 12-15-04, 01:51 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,655 Likes on 1,032 Posts
If I could sell my NIB PS2 after release for $600 on eBay, it doesn't surprise me that the DS is pulling in that kind of profit. I haven't seen a DS in a store since Black Friday.
Old 12-15-04, 03:47 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

See Elmo, Tickle Me.

On a related note, a woman came into my store the other day and offered another associate $500 dollars cash for a DS that day. We didn't have any, but the fact that she was willing to pay a $350 dollar markup is just insane.
Old 12-15-04, 06:07 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by PixyJunket
people are consumer morons this time of the year.
When your 9 year old son wants a DS and nothing else for Christmas the cost becomes much less relevant. Fortunately I got 3 on release day and then tracked one down for my nephew last week. I'm enjoying mine thoroughly
Old 12-15-04, 07:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 361 Likes on 304 Posts
I hope it ends after Christmas, I am sick of answering calls at work about the DS. People who call in forget TRU doesn't make DS's, Nintendo does. If they don't make many, chances are most stores won't get many or any at all.

I hope when the PSP comes out it won't be like this.
Old 12-15-04, 07:30 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

The prices on ebay have remained relatively flat since launch, I've been following them out of currosity. There has been an incline the last couple of days but the demand is not that crazy. Nintendo has shipped nearly 1 million units in the US alone, and pulled advertising on the DS. Seems like those that want them would be able to get them.
Old 12-16-04, 07:59 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Gromit
I can't find an Xbox anywhere. While looking at Walmart today, I noticed a stack of DS boxes though.
The more I think about it, the more I realize that it was SP boxes I saw and not DS's.

For some reason, I can't keep those straight.
Old 12-16-04, 10:09 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 427 Likes on 291 Posts
Most of the systems are hard to find right now. I'm at walmart in electronics, and I would say every 10 Min's someone is asking if PS2, X-box, or DS is in stock. Right after Thanksgiving people were wanting the new slim PS2, and once we were sold out of those, they were settling for an X-box which created a shortage of them. No love for the Gamecube

the Best Buy in town, received a large shipment of PS2's the other day and were sold out in 11 Min's. I was also told by someone at Best Buy, that one of the Sony manufacturing plants in Japan, had burned down.

Anyway, some moran customer offered us $200 for our PS2 demo. Mind you this is the original larger model, and that is broken right now.
Old 12-17-04, 12:54 AM

Originally Posted by stingermck
Right after Thanksgiving people were wanting the new slim PS2, and once we were sold out of those, they were settling for an X-box which created a shortage of them. No love for the Gamecube.
No love for the GC wait MP2 wasn't a console seller?
Old 12-17-04, 02:05 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 399 Likes on 299 Posts
Originally Posted by Get Me Coffee
Thanksgiving I sold one for 172, which kinda sucked. I sold another one for $200 last week on Ebay. Love taking advantage of "morans".
so what, after shipping on both you made yourself a cool $40-50

amazing....
Old 12-17-04, 08:56 AM

I'm not sure if nickdawgy, is serious but I agree. I can't believe the amount of trouble some people go through to make like 40 bucks. Go to the store, not one time but two times, get the item, go through the hassle of listing it, receiving the money, paying the selling/paypal fees, then shipping it, for like 40 bucks? I guess it's a good deal, but to me it's just a lot of trouble, and NO, I'm not rolling in money, just to lazy for all that work. ha
Old 12-17-04, 10:22 AM

Originally Posted by nickdawgy
so what, after shipping on both you made yourself a cool $40-50

amazing....
Dude what's your problem? Back off.

The way I see it is I got two free games....

Selling a PSP is a different story...

Last edited by Get Me Coffee; 12-17-04 at 10:30 AM.
Old 12-17-04, 10:30 AM

Originally Posted by SpaceBoy
I'm not sure if nickdawgy, is serious but I agree. I can't believe the amount of trouble some people go through to make like 40 bucks. Go to the store, not one time but two times, get the item, go through the hassle of listing it, receiving the money, paying the selling/paypal fees, then shipping it, for like 40 bucks? I guess it's a good deal, but to me it's just a lot of trouble, and NO, I'm not rolling in money, just to lazy for all that work. ha

I have never done this before, until now. I passed on the DS reselling option because I knew Nintendo had commited to producing many DS's to try and meet demand. I did order a PSP to resell because Sony is choosing to only produce limited quanties. (They claim manufactoring issues, but I smell hype machine again.) Not sure it will be worth, but seeing how much the PS2 was selling for I thought I'd give it a shot to help pay for grad school.
Old 12-17-04, 10:36 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Wait, if the importers are charging $500-$600 for a PSP, what are the eBay prices?!
Old 12-17-04, 11:16 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 22 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by Get Me Coffee
Dude what's your problem? Back off.
Hey, you keep making snide comments in DS threads, and you'll get comments like that in return.

Unless you have something to CONTRIBUTE to these threads, please stay out of it. You're trolling again.

Same goes for everyone else.

namja
Moderator, DVD Talk Forums
Old 12-17-04, 12:00 PM

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by PixyJunket
Wait, if the importers are charging $500-$600 for a PSP, what are the eBay prices?!
Well, I just sold mine for $800 + shipping and I paid roughly $600 w/ 2 games. The nice thing about that is I now have my PSP paid off when it gets released here in March.

As for the DS thing I had a feeling it was going to be the 'hot' Holiday item so I bought a few of them to see what they would go for on ebay. After hearing reports that most places weren't taking any more pre-orders and Nintendo had practically sold its entire initial shipment I was certain people would be paying double just to get their hands on one. Problem is, everyone had the same freakin idea and ebay has been flooded with DS systems. While you can still probably make a few bucks its not worth the hassle, in my opinion. You have ebay listing fees to deal with and PayPal takes a cut too.
Old 12-17-04, 12:15 PM

Originally Posted by namja
Hey, you keep making snide comments in DS threads, and you'll get comments like that in return.

Unless you have something to CONTRIBUTE to these threads, please stay out of it. You're trolling again.

Same goes for everyone else.

namja
Moderator, DVD Talk Forums
Isn't this thread about selling DS or DS on sale on ebay?

Trolling? If anything what nickdawgy said was trolling. I was just adding to the thread about selling a DS on ebay.

Last edited by Get Me Coffee; 12-17-04 at 12:50 PM.
Old 12-17-04, 12:34 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts
the best bet would be to hang out around TRU or a game store, listen for the parents that ask for it and sell it to them in the parking lot.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.