Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Best Buy Bonus Discs

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-04, 12:35 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Best Buy Bonus Discs

I was just wondering if there is a list anywhere that anyone knows about of the Best Buy Bonus discs that have been released. We have only had a Best Buy where I live for a relatively short time, and I had never heard of the bonus discs before. Sorry if this has been covered here before, but I searched around a bit before asking and couldn't find anything.
Old 12-15-04, 12:51 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by ParadiseVendors
I was just wondering if there is a list anywhere that anyone knows about of the Best Buy Bonus discs that have been released. We have only had a Best Buy where I live for a relatively short time, and I had never heard of the bonus discs before. Sorry if this has been covered here before, but I searched around a bit before asking and couldn't find anything.
There was one compiled somewhere on this site...
Old 12-15-04, 01:31 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I don't know if there is a compiled list in here, but this thread discusses them: http://www.dvdtalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=325930
Old 12-15-04, 08:29 AM
Banned

They are worthless, believe me. I just watched one a couple of weeks ago, and it had about 3 minutes worth of original material. The rest was previews of coming attractions.
Old 12-15-04, 09:31 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

D-ball - yes, they list them all in there.

Originally Posted by Fartface
They are worthless, believe me. I just watched one a couple of weeks ago, and it had about 3 minutes worth of original material. The rest was previews of coming attractions.
That's a pretty big generalization. There are definitely some which are worthless, but what about, say, the uncut version of the 'South Park' pilot?
Old 12-15-04, 10:18 AM

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts
Agreed. It would be far fairer to say that most BB exclusives (or anyone else's for that matter) are of minor merit. There certainly are exceptions.

For example, a used version of Bond Girls are Forever (the bonus disc that came with Die Another Day) goes for approximately double what a used version of Die Another Day goes for.
Old 12-15-04, 10:22 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 324 Likes on 242 Posts
Originally Posted by ctyankee
For example, a used version of Bond Girls are Forever (the bonus disc that came with Die Another Day) goes for approximately double what a used version of Die Another Day goes for.
Hmmm...I have a sealed version (never opened it). I wonder how much that would go for?
Old 12-15-04, 10:46 AM
Suspended

Originally Posted by Fartface
I wouldnt say that. Yeah, all the ones I've seen suck, but can be sold on the secondary market for quite the pretty penny. The Indy bonus disc alone can easily clear 30 bucks on e-bay.
Old 12-15-04, 10:50 AM

I would not say they are all worthless. For example, the new Top Gun release has an excellent bonus disc that is a BB exclusive. It is about the real Navy Top Gun pilots. Excellent stuff. In fact, one of the set's producers said the only reason it was not included on one of the 2 discs themselves was due to space limitations and obligations they had concerning the other material (if I remember correctly). I bought my copy of Top Gun at Best Buy just for that disc. Also, the latest "Ultimate Jordan" set had a BB exclusive disc of the ENTIRE 1988 Slam Dunk Competition. For someone like me who misses the "good 'ole days" of the NBA, that disc was more than worth the short trip to Best Buy. Yes, many are worthless, but certainly not all of them.
Old 12-15-04, 11:51 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by ThatGuamGuy
That's a pretty big generalization. There are definitely some which are worthless, but what about, say, the uncut version of the 'South Park' pilot?
My thoughts EXACTLY! The only time I went to Best Buy for a bonus disc. Am glad I did too!
Old 12-15-04, 12:05 PM
Banned

Hey, I'm just judging by the ones I have and I certainly wouldn't buy one just for the 'bonus disk' as the ones I've seen are all worthless...but then, I wouldn't really care about an uncut 'South Park' episode or a 'Bond Girls are Forever' disk.
Old 12-15-04, 12:59 PM

Originally Posted by ZackR
I would not say they are all worthless. For example, the new Top Gun release has an excellent bonus disc that is a BB exclusive. It is about the real Navy Top Gun pilots. Excellent stuff. In fact, one of the set's producers said the only reason it was not included on one of the 2 discs themselves was due to space limitations and obligations they had concerning the other material (if I remember correctly). I bought my copy of Top Gun at Best Buy just for that disc...
Kewl ... I havent' gotten a chance to look at the BB "exclusive" disc that came with my Walmart-bought copy, but it sounds good.
Old 12-15-04, 01:20 PM

Kewl ... I havent' gotten a chance to look at the BB "exclusive" disc that came with my Walmart-bought copy, but it sounds good.
That is odd. In this thread over at HTF, the DVD's producer said it was a BB exclusive. Though I did once get a BB exclusive disc from Wal-Mart. I assumed it was just because someone got it as a gift or something and swapped it out at Wal-Mart since they pretty much take anything back...Maybe that was the case with yours? Did you happen to norice if they all had the sticker about the 3rd disc?
Old 12-15-04, 02:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

there is a chance someone bought a copy at best buy, and gave it as a gift. The person who recieved the present didn't want it for various reasons and returned it to a wal mart for store credit. the wal mart stocker puts it back on the shelf. you walk up and pick the same copy up and take it home.

also, after initial runs best buy stores return sealed copies to the vendor. the video store i work recieves dvd's with various stickers already attatched (target, best buy, wal mart)

For the topic at hand. First week, there is no reason not to buy at best buy. Between low price, price match, and reward zone it's hard to beat...plus in some instances (Indy, South Park) you can sell the bonus disc for more than the dvd cost. It also is a good way to see upcoming features...i had no desire to see hellboy until i watched the free sneak peak dvd. so the marketing works.
Old 12-15-04, 02:28 PM

there is a chance someone bought a copy at best buy, and gave it as a gift. The person who recieved the present didn't want it for various reasons and returned it to a wal mart for store credit. the wal mart stocker puts it back on the shelf. you walk up and pick the same copy up and take it home.
Exactly what I was talking about. You probably said it better though.
Old 12-27-04, 12:51 PM
eau
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

The Top Gun bonus disc fetched $$ more than the main featureTop Gun SE in the past few transactions on eBay. Is the bonus disc that good??? One bonus disc alone got a $35 bid