Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Will Lemony Snicket be the next Harry Potter?

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-04, 06:09 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

So I just read this circle-jerk article on Lemony Snicket on yahoo. One part read: "All of which goes to prove that there is more to children's popular culture than a certain British boy wizard, and that stories with unhappy endings, repulsive villains and itchy clothing still have a horrible habit of capturing the attention of young readers." Now, I'm sure that's a reference to the books and not the films but I do not see this movie making nearly as much as the average Harry Potter film.
Old 12-14-04, 06:17 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 723 Likes on 528 Posts
Considering I've never read either series of books, I've at least heard of Harry. Never heard of Lemony Snicket.
Old 12-14-04, 06:24 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts
It won't make nearly as much. The first two Harry Potter films made over 300 million domestic i believe, and the 3rd film over 200. I can't see this coming close. There's a whole following for Potter, both young and old fans, that has generated quite a bit of media attention. I had barely heard of Lemony Snicket at all, and i don't see kids going crazy for it like i had with Potter. I think it'll make make good money, but no where near Harry Potter territory.
Old 12-14-04, 09:44 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I really don't know why people try to compair the two so much.
Old 12-14-04, 10:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Second Star on the right, and straight on til' morning...
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Wouldn't it be more correct to say

"Will Lemony Snicket be the next (fake named) J.K. Rowling?"
Old 12-14-04, 10:06 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
the real question is why is every "dark", gothic looking daughter in a movie this year named Violet?
Old 12-14-04, 11:32 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
They seem like 2 completely different kinds of movies to me, so I dont think you can really compare.
Old 12-14-04, 11:44 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

The first two Harry Potter films made over 300 million domestic i believe, and the 3rd film over 200.
Actually, only the first Potter film made over 300 million dollars. The second Potter film made 261 million dollars domestically, and the third film made just shy of 250 million domestically.
Old 12-15-04, 12:55 AM

Not to mention each Potter film made an extra half billion per movie internationally. There's no way Snicket is going to get close to a billion dollar gross, or for that matter even 800 million like the recent Azkaban. So no, it won't be as big as Potter. I'm sure it'll do pretty well though, I think it looks pretty good, though it's relation to Harry Potter is fairly weak at best (dark movie aimed at younger set? yeah, that's fairly general).
Old 12-15-04, 12:59 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

What has Lemony Snicket got to do with the film Troll? I'm confused.
Old 12-15-04, 07:41 AM

The Lemony Snicket books are very popular with a younger audience ... they just have not broken as much into the mainstream like the Harry Potter has (which I'm sure the movie will help it do). That said, even thoough there are already 19 (I think) Lemony Snicket books, I don't see it becoming as huge of a movie franchise as Harry Potter simply because (at least from the trailers), it looks like a movie with a little plot built around Jim Carrey mugging the camera. While that may work for a few films, I don't really expect any longevity ....
Old 12-15-04, 07:57 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

My 9-y.o. stepdaughter is on book 5 of the Unfortunate Events series and she loves them (she has the first 10). But if ehr grandma hadn't given her the first 3 to start reading, I'd probably never have heard of Snickett either. This will be the first time seeing a movie for her after she's read the books. My 7-y.o. stepson has the Potter series and has seen all 3 movies, but is still worming through the first book....don't think he'll ever get around to finishing any of them since the movies keep coming out.
Old 12-15-04, 11:23 AM

Originally Posted by silentbob007
The Lemony Snicket books are very popular with a younger audience ... they just have not broken as much into the mainstream like the Harry Potter has (which I'm sure the movie will help it do). That said, even thoough there are already 19 (I think) Lemony Snicket books, I don't see it becoming as huge of a movie franchise as Harry Potter simply because (at least from the trailers), it looks like a movie with a little plot built around Jim Carrey mugging the camera. While that may work for a few films, I don't really expect any longevity ....

You are exactly right about the movie. Saw it a couple of nights ago. They changed the story from the books and moved the whole focus off the kids to mainly focus on Jim Carrey's character. Was every disappointed in the movie.
Old 12-15-04, 11:30 AM

Received 97 Likes on 80 Posts
I highly doubt that Lemony Snicket will hold a candle to HP. Furthermore, I don't even think LS will be a box office hit.
Old 12-15-04, 11:38 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 82 Likes on 70 Posts
I've read one of the books [the one about the snakes], and just judging from Jim Carrey and the commercial for the film, I don't see Carrey as a good Count Olaf. Carrey is best when he's goofy, and Count Olaf, IIRC, is entirely *not* goofy. The point of the books is meant to be these kids who have all sorts of horrible stuff happen to them, but still stay together and try to remain a family and stay positive. I was afraid of what JustInsane said, that the film/s would be a Jim Carrey tool 'loosely based' on the books. I don't dislike him, necessarily, I just don't think he was the right choice. Now the focus is going to be 'Oh, let's go see the Jim Carrey movie' instead of 'Oh, let's go see the Lemony Snicket movie'.
Old 12-15-04, 11:45 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by DonnachaOne
What has Lemony Snicket got to do with the film Troll? I'm confused.
I'm confused too. What does Troll have to do with the Kirsten Dunst movie Dick?
Old 12-15-04, 10:24 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by PopcornTreeCt
I'm confused too. What does Troll have to do with the Kirsten Dunst movie Dick?
I was making a joke, as Harry Potter is the name of the main character in Troll.

But since you ask, Troll cast member Julia-Louise Dreyfus was on Saturday Night Live, as were about half the cast of Dick.

... also, she guested on Family Ties, as did Dan Hedaya, who played Nixon.
Old 12-16-04, 11:28 AM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
simple answer: no. Advance critic's word is that the movie isn't very good. How the public will respond might differ.
Old 12-16-04, 11:32 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I haven't read the books, but does anyone know if this movie will actually be based on them or is it just going to be Jim Carrey hamming it up for 2 hours?
Old 12-16-04, 11:38 AM

the latter most likely.
Old 12-16-04, 11:52 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Giles
the latter most likely.
Aw, oh well. Even though I haven't read the books, I was up for some dark fantasy, not THE GRINCH 2.
Old 12-16-04, 12:09 PM

dargleo - I'm just being cynical, I would really wait to read tomorrow's reviews and not my overgeneralization and sarcasm.

Rotten tomatoes has given it a fresh rating of 76%.

Last edited by Giles; 12-16-04 at 12:11 PM.
Old 12-16-04, 02:04 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Location: New Jersey, where the state motto should be Leave No Tree Standing
Just a note to say I think there are currently 11 books in the Series of Unfortunate Events plus the "biography" of Lemony Snicket.

Snicket is the pen name of Daniel Handler, who, besides being a children's book author, is a NYC-based musician and has appeared on several Magnetic Fields albums and tours. Was funny when seeing Magnetic Fields a few years ago when people in the crowd yelled out, "Lemony Snicket!"
Old 12-16-04, 10:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 696 Likes on 430 Posts
Currently 63% at RT. Not great, but still considered "Fresh".

It definitely won't be another Potter, but it'll make money by capturing the family crowds. Kids will go because the series is HUGE among them, and parents will go because of Jim Carrey. Plus the marketing campaign plays up the HP-esque look and feel, mixed with a Tim Burton-like design.

I'll see it. Looks like fun. And there
Old 12-17-04, 09:11 AM

Received 97 Likes on 80 Posts
Roger Ebert's 2 1/2 star review here.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.