Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

Anybody find 3: The Dale Earnhardt Story yet?

Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-04, 03:29 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've been to Best Buy, CC and Silver Platter's, all with no luck. The guy at CC said that it hasn't come out yet. Is this true?
Old 12-14-04, 03:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'm pretty sure it hasn't, considering that ESPN is just showing it as a "new" movie lately.
Old 12-14-04, 03:54 PM
Banned

Its on Netflix

http://web.netflix.com/MovieDisplay?...7&trkid=148483
Old 12-14-04, 04:07 PM

it has shipped. our store only got 5 copies. it was kind of a running joke all day that at some point a shitload of NASCAR fans were going to revolt and burn the store down. people were asking for it all day. we sold the last copy about an hour after we opened.
Old 12-14-04, 04:36 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

When I was waiting for the lady at Wal-Mart to open the boxes at midnight some guy stepped up and asked if they had 3 for sale. The clerk was clueless and asked it it was spelled as in three. They proceeded to have a short conversation that made my heard hurt and finally the guy spoke up and said it was the Dale Earnhardt story...something he should of said earlier in my opinion. I'm pretty up to date on what comes out each week but I was clueless about this title too.

Anyway....they had a fair sized box of them at my local store.
Old 12-14-04, 04:51 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I hate it when BB/CC only get like 5 or 6 copys of a movie knowing it's going to sell out in an hour or less,this happened to me with My Bloody Valentine and Return of the Living Dead,and it's even worse with 3 since it's near Xmas.
Old 12-14-04, 05:28 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I saw it at my Best Buy. Phoenix is a stop on the circuit, so maybe they ordered a few more.
Old 12-14-04, 05:33 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

My Wal-Mart is carrying it. They didn't have the Top Gun SE though
Old 12-14-04, 05:35 PM

My local Wal*Mart had 2 facings of the title. There were about 10 copies when I arrived at lunch time. Incredibly, before I left (I was there about 15 minutes), all copies were gone. While I'm not a NASCAR fan, methinks that the buyers at these stores SERIOUSLY underestimated the demand for Earnhardt stuff...
Old 12-14-04, 06:43 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by WestEndRiot
it has shipped. our store only got 5 copies. it was kind of a running joke all day that at some point a shitload of NASCAR fans were going to revolt and burn the store down. people were asking for it all day. we sold the last copy about an hour after we opened.
Forgive me for being an ignorant person from NYC, but I went to Indianapolis once (I was a volunteer Staff Worker at the Greek (as in Fraternities & Sororities) InterVarsity Christian Organization) and I couldn't believe the popularity of Nascar and Indy stuff there. In the mall, there was racing stuff everywhere. I mean I was always skeptical when ppl said that Nascar was the most popular sport in the US, but that proved to me that it was true (just not in NY or NJ I guess).

That said, I'm really surprised that a store in Indiana would only get 5 copies in.
Old 12-14-04, 09:05 PM

all I wanna do is race daddy
Old 12-14-04, 10:28 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Thunderball
I'm pretty sure it hasn't, considering that ESPN is just showing it as a "new" movie lately.
Wrong, it came out today. If you watched the commercials during the movie it even remided you to pick it up Tuesday. I found it at Blockbuster tonight for 24.99. Same as amazon. I decided to wait a week and order from Digital Eyes after some trade ins get processed. I want disc two for the 4 races (partial - about 40 minutes of coverage each).

I would bet, if supply was good and it had even a half-assed marketing team, it would sell more than many big name titles this Christmas. Earnhardt fans are loyal to say the least - I live in the south and I am part of the group of which I speak having been a loyal Earnhardt fan from the first time I watched a race at about 6 years old.

Last edited by speedyray; 12-14-04 at 10:35 PM.
Old 12-14-04, 11:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

suncoast has it...may be sold out by now
Old 12-15-04, 12:12 AM

Originally Posted by Dabaomb
Forgive me for being an ignorant person from NYC, but I went to Indianapolis once (I was a volunteer Staff Worker at the Greek (as in Fraternities & Sororities) InterVarsity Christian Organization) and I couldn't believe the popularity of Nascar and Indy stuff there. In the mall, there was racing stuff everywhere. I mean I was always skeptical when ppl said that Nascar was the most popular sport in the US, but that proved to me that it was true (just not in NY or NJ I guess).

That said, I'm really surprised that a store in Indiana would only get 5 copies in.
for the record, we get what is shipped to us. the store itself really doesn't have much control over what and how much it gets when it comes to media. trust me, if it were up to anyone in the store, knowing how popular it is around here we'd have stocked much more than 5 copies.

racing is pretty popular around here but i think that can be said for a lot of places. its just so noticable here as far as merch and such because Indiana is home of the most famous racetrack in the world. plus some fans around here are strictly open wheel fans (indy, F1, sprints)...if you were to go to a state like Alabama i'd imagine you'd be more overwhelmed by the popularity of NASCAR.
Old 12-15-04, 12:27 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by danicus007
My Wal-Mart is carrying it. They didn't have the Top Gun SE though
My Sams ($12.22) did but Walmart didn't, go figure (and they are right next to each other)!

Saw 3 at my Walmart for around 19 bucks.
Old 12-15-04, 12:48 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by DVDHO
I hate it when BB/CC only get like 5 or 6 copys of a movie knowing it's going to sell out in an hour or less,this happened to me with My Bloody Valentine and Return of the Living Dead,and it's even worse with 3 since it's near Xmas.
Most of the time, I wouldn't figure on these titles selling out in an hour or less.

We had about 8 copies today and sold out at around 2:30pm.
Old 12-15-04, 09:57 AM
Cool New Member

I stopped at wal mart this morning and they were sold out, haven't checked anywhere else yet. From what it looks like they probably rushed the movie out to dvd to get it out before christmas and the supply is limited right now.
Old 12-15-04, 11:22 AM
Banned

So, I finally found it at Borders last night after going to five other places, but check this out. I called them beforehand and they were holding it for me. So I get to the store and someone I knew helped me out. I didn't really pay attention during the transaction (used a debit card) because I had been talking, then I left the store. I take a look at the receipt. $34.99. Is that a rip or what?? I know Borders isn't known for their great prices, but $34.99....really?!?! I even went to their website that night and confirmed their price. Ridiculous. At that point I was just happy to get it, and I didn't feel like looking for it anymore. Next time, I will pay closer attention.
Needless to say...I won't be posting this in the DVD Bargains forum.

Last edited by jarrodschockow; 12-15-04 at 11:31 AM.