Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

any word on The Fockers?

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

any word on The Fockers?

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-04, 09:29 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
any word on The Fockers?

good or bad anyone hear anything?
Old 12-15-04, 09:08 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

wow it opens in a week and not a single review
Old 12-15-04, 09:28 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
This movie just looks 'blah'. I feel really neutral towards it. The trailers have done nothing for me, the plot doesn't interest me. The concept seems like it's a "Hey, look at these movie stars playing Ben Stiller's parents...ISN'T THAT WACKY!" kinda film.

Frankly, I never want to see this film.
Old 12-15-04, 10:34 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
Frankly, I never want to see this film.
Good thing you still have that option to make for yourself.

It looks like more of the same of the first with higher expectations and more moments that may feel forced in order to push the bar with a very predictable ending. In the long run it may be an entertaining two hours, but during the Oscar calibur season I would much rather spend my time seeing films that will be worth talking about come a few months down the line.
Old 12-16-04, 12:07 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

For a while I thought they might be pushing this one back. I have seen NO ads for the film besides the teaser trailer. For a big holiday film, it is getting no love from Universal.
Old 12-16-04, 12:34 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
It's actually been getting some good push through the daily entertainment junkets like extra and the insider. It has some commercials and posters have been around.

Not to mention that they re-released meet the parents to push the movie. So it's been getting some attention.
Old 12-16-04, 12:43 AM
Li

The commerical showing the dog getting flushed down the toilet has made me completely lose my intertest in this movie...
Old 12-16-04, 01:10 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I havent seen any previews since the teaser either. Nor have i seen any posters or ads anywhere else. Ill prob rent it on DVD.
Old 12-16-04, 03:10 AM

I adored "Meet the Parents" but could not be less interested in this movie. If it isn't bad enough that Babs has a central role, the dog ... oh the dog and the toilet.
Old 12-16-04, 12:38 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

am i the only person who has faith in this movie? Excellent cast, excellent title...how could this fail?
Old 12-16-04, 12:56 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

This movie has "The Whole Ten Yards" and "Analyze That!" written all over it.
Old 12-16-04, 01:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I swear one of the trailers I saw on TV for this had DeNiro saying "Fockers" along the lines of an FCC fine pronunciation.

As for the movie: M'eh. I'll wait for the DVD.
Old 12-16-04, 02:41 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I hesitate to bash it before I see it because I really thought Meet the Parents was going to suck and was wrong.

Time will tell............
Old 12-16-04, 02:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

it looks retarded.
Old 12-16-04, 05:16 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

And as we all know, retarded people are BAD BAD BAD!
Old 12-16-04, 05:42 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 911 Likes on 646 Posts
FRANK AND BEANS!
Old 12-17-04, 08:43 PM

I am looking forward to it, but there does seem to be remarkably little buzz about it.
Old 12-19-04, 12:07 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Brain Stew
This movie has "The Whole Ten Yards" and "Analyze That!" written all over it.
I'm going to check it out but it seems people have very little hope for this movie, yes, along the lines of Analyse That. It is a strange time to release it, with a hodgepodge of Oscar contenders and holiday comedies drawing moviegoers to other releases. The first had a strong following, the reason this one has been made at all, so maybe it will be an okay movie......I get a feeling it won't make much money until the DVD release, though.
Old 12-19-04, 01:23 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Entertainment weekly ripped it, and they love everything.
Old 12-19-04, 02:21 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Universal should have released it in the same late summer/early fall window that the first one had. This would have played much better in the empty month of September than it will going against Lemony Snicket, Ocean's 12, and the holiday and award movies.
Old 12-19-04, 05:16 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post
I rarely condemn a movie without having seen it, but this looks pretty bad. I could certainly be wrong, but just to be on the safe side - I'll avoid it. I would've had no motivation either way had it not been for the CG baby head-butt and the dog in the toilet. I'll catch it on cable sometime when I'm in the mood.
Old 12-19-04, 06:49 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 289 Likes on 214 Posts
I'm sure it will be almost as good as Ocean's 12.
Old 12-22-04, 08:37 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
I'll admit it, I was snickering and laughing throughout most of "Meet the Fockers", though it broke no new ground for comedies, the characters of Bernie and Roz Focker found new ways to truly embarrass the living hell out of Greg in front of his prospective new in-laws and wife, and that was pretty funny stuff.

Of course, Jack (De Niro) got a lot of screen time since he is the retired CIA guy who still doesn't trust this impending union between his daughter Pam and Greg. There are a few gags that are spoiled by the trailers, but there are other bits that are funny as well.

Is it funnier than the first film, I'm not sure, but Bernie Focker (Hoffman) did crack me up a lot. It's a fun way to spend a couple of hours.

I give it 2.75 stars or a grade of B-.

Last edited by Patman; 12-22-04 at 09:20 PM.
Old 12-22-04, 09:53 PM

Well here's IMDB's summary of the reviews so far:
Meet the Fockers is not being taken to task for being unfunny -- just not as funny as it should have been, given its award-winning cast, including Robert De Niro, Barbra Streisand, and Dustin Hoffman. Comments Manohla Dargis in the Los Angeles Times: "If Raging Bull, Funny Girl and Ratso Rizzo all crowding the same movie sounds too good to be true, it is." Stephen Hunter in the Washington Post remarks: "Meet the Fockers isn't a disgrace, a travesty, an abomination. But it's nothing that merits the spectacular talents of its cast and, given the intermittence of its humor and its reliance on bad puns and gross physical comedy, it would have worked just as well with television-scale stars." Ty Burr in the Boston Globe calls it simply "a waste." For Roger Ebert in the Chicago Sun-Times, "the movie is pleasant enough, but never quite reaches critical mass as a comedy." And Claudia Puig in USA Today, writes that, all in all, the movie "may be a welcome antidote to the crop of serious, awards-caliber movies released during December. It's a silly good time, and that's something these days."
Old 12-23-04, 01:37 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,365 Likes on 927 Posts
I went in not expecting much and was plesantly surprised. I thought it had way more laughs throughout the movie than Meet the Parents did. Despite what people are saying, it's worth a look for a few good laughs.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.