Buy: $19.99 $9.99

PDA
DVD Reviews

View Full Version : George Carlin calls Vegas gamblers idiots

DodgingCars
12-13-04, 04:13 PM
George Carlin attacks gambling in Vegas
Questions intelligence of tourists at MGM Grand

Comedian George Carlin, 67, known for his shockingly obscene monologues got himself in trouble in Las Vegas recently – but not because of his filthy mouth.

In his last performance at the MGM Grand after four years before 700 paying customers, he reportedly said: "People who go to Las Vegas, you've got to question their f-----g intellect – traveling hundreds and thousands of miles to essentially give your money to a large corporation is kind of f-----g moronic. That's why what I'm always getting here is these kind of f-----g people with very limited intellects."

But that's not the end of Carlin's performing in Vegas. He is scheduled to open in February at the Stardust Hotel.

A woman shouted, "Stop degrading us." Carlin replied by inviting her, in two words, to perform a sexual act upon him.

He said he was eager to get out of "this (bad word) hotel" and back east "where the real people are."

Carlin has been doing shtick like this for 40 years.

Carlin has suffered three heart attacks and undergone a number of angioplasties in recent years. He has also battled through cocaine addiction, a $3 million debt to the Internal Revenue Service that reportedly took him 15 years to pay off, and in 1997, the death of his wife of 36 years from liver cancer.

His current routine includes jokes about cancer, natural disasters and teen-age suicide.

''Right now somewhere around the world, someone is about to kill himself,'' Carlin declared earlier this month in a show at the Westbury Music Fair on Long Island. ''Every 30 seconds – there goes another guy.''

After pointing out that suicide was the third-leading cause of death for young men in the United States, Carlin suggested, ''You gals, if you want to be truly equal, you're going to have to start killing yourselves in greater numbers.''

In 1973, his ''Filthy Words'' routine was aired on WBAI in New York City, resulting in an obscenity charge by the Federal Communications Commission against the station, which resulted in a long legal battle that eventually made it to the Supreme Court. The court upheld restrictions on broadcasting obscenities at times when children were likely to be tuned in.

http://worldnetdaily.com/news/article.asp?ARTICLE_ID=41905

moorehed
12-13-04, 04:46 PM
someone is shocked? wasn't that the fucking point?

maybe the problem isn't that they are stupid, but rather some people are in need of some antisensitivity training and a bitchslap.

:D

Wizdar
12-13-04, 04:51 PM
I dunno. Rodney Dangerfield was attacking people’s intelligence almost his entire career. What’s the difference between “hockey puck” and “blow me!”?

Brain Stew
12-13-04, 05:01 PM
It surprises me that these people went to see a controversial comedian with controversial opinions thinking he wasn't going to say anything controversial.

JasonF
12-13-04, 05:03 PM
I dunno. Rodney Dangerfield was attacking people’s intelligence almost his entire career. What’s the difference between “hockey puck” and “blow me!”?
http://www.entertainersdirectory.com/IMAGES_Stars/Don%20Rickles.jpg
"No respect, I tell you. No respect at all."

El Scorcho
12-13-04, 05:30 PM
I love it when a former coke addict and someone who put themselves $3M in the hole to the IRS calls me an idiot

:lol:

JEStinson3
12-13-04, 05:48 PM
Anyone know how long his engagement at the Stardust will be?

I'll be in Vegas in March or April and I would like to see him again.

kvrdave
12-13-04, 07:18 PM
I love it when a former coke addict and someone who put themselves $3M in the hole to the IRS calls me an idiot

Never been a big fan of his, but it seems that the real idiots are those who pay to see him.

Brain Stew
12-13-04, 07:50 PM

Never been a big fan of his, but it seems that the real idiots are those who pay to see him.
I wouldn't say that. He's very funny with numerous hilarious bits. In the world of comics, he's royalty.

El Scorcho
12-13-04, 08:01 PM
No, he USED to be funny.

Now he's just a whiney old man.

eisenreich
12-13-04, 08:44 PM
No, he USED to be funny.

I agree, just saw him the other day performing and laughed maybe 4-5 times during his entire routine. His material was controversial, as it's always been, but wasn't funny. The best part of the show was when he bitched out a member of the audience who interrupted him while he was doing one of his four-minute rants about nothing in particular. Overall, Carlin came off as a cranky old bastard who has been doing this for entirely too long.

kvrdave
12-14-04, 01:21 AM
I wouldn't say that. He's very funny with numerous hilarious bits. In the world of comics, he's royalty.

So was George Burns. Doesn't mean he was funny for the last 20 years. He was just a legend. I can't think of much he done to make me laugh in the last 15 years.

MJKTool
12-14-04, 02:26 AM
Goddamn he is old. Almost 70? Fuck!

Da Thrilla
12-14-04, 04:13 PM
Carlin is the man.

Duran
12-14-04, 08:26 PM

I had the exact same thought.

Wizdar
12-15-04, 08:50 AM
So was George Burns. Doesn't mean he was funny for the last 20 years. He was just a legend. I can't think of much he done to make me laugh in the last 15 years.Easy to understand, since he's been dead half of that time.

(Just continuing a theme from my previous post. :))

Bacon
12-27-04, 08:16 PM
No, he USED to be funny.

THEEK?

J-Dubya
12-28-04, 05:15 PM

Now he's just into wine and vicodin

text (http://www.cnn.com/2004/SHOWBIZ/books/12/27/george.carlin/index.html)

silentbob007
01-01-05, 10:28 AM
I agree, just saw him the other day performing and laughed maybe 4-5 times during his entire routine. His material was controversial, as it's always been, but wasn't funny ... Overall, Carlin came off as a cranky old bastard who has been doing this for entirely too long.

I agree with you completely. I saw him a few months ago, and it just seemed like he was trying too hard to be offensive ... the problem was, it just wasn't funny. He was also using "new" material (ie, the stuff he did about suicide, natrual disasters, etc), so he was actually reading it off of notes he had with him.