Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Video Game Talk
Reload this Page >

When you get the newest game, how often do you play it?

Community
Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-04, 02:10 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 399 Likes on 299 Posts

Ok, so I see people getting games KOTOR II, San Andreas, and MGS 3, and finishing them in a weekend. When you get the newest, hottest game that you couldn't wait to play, how often do you play it?

I myself try to make the games last longer by limiting my playing to say a couple hours of games per day. Granted I might play games for longer, this is just an average. Right now I'm dividing my time between the forementioned games, and Star Ocean, and Half-Life 2, The Sims 2, Vampires, and Tales of Symphonia as well. I bought NFSU2 but haven't even played it yet.

The fact that my job has kept me extra busy lately makes the games last even longer.

Is there a rush to complete the new games first? Maybe trying to finish KOTOR II quick so you can concentrate on Half- Life 2?
Old 12-13-04, 02:36 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I've really been able to pick up several newer games due to deals at GameRush lately. Normally I would pick up one game at a time and drag it out due to time and funds. I've got 2 small kids, so playing time is usually limited to after they go to bed, etc.

I don't normally rush to finish a game to play the next game, I just figure that is just that much more time for the price to drop on the game...
Old 12-13-04, 02:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

If I take too long, life gets in the way and I never finish. I have to be pretty focused on finishing a game (or book, or TV series on DVD, or whatever) to actually get to the end.
Old 12-13-04, 03:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 243 Likes on 178 Posts
I usually only play for like an hour a day (for console games),thus i never finish games any more because i usually end up stuck or life gets too hectic and i end up shelfing whatever game i had been playing.MMO's are a totally different story.
Old 12-13-04, 04:28 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
yeah.. WoW derailed me from HL2.. Also have Battle for Middleearth lined up...
Old 12-13-04, 04:52 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I can't remember the last time I finished a game...
Old 12-13-04, 05:02 PM

I play about 2 hours tops per week total on video games. As such, I don't finish many games plus I also get impatient real easy on games.

I wish I was back in school to be able to devote more time to games.

Code:
/end old codger rant

Last edited by WepaMan; 12-13-04 at 05:05 PM.
Old 12-13-04, 07:41 PM
DVD & Video Game Reviewer

I find that if I get side tracked from a game I never get back to playing it again, so I try to focus on one game at a time if possible. Unfortunately there are so many great releases coming out now that I have a backlog of stuff I want to play!
Old 12-13-04, 08:00 PM

I average around 1-2 hours a night. Recently, I have bought Halo2, GTA:SA, and ToS. Most of my time has been spent on Halo2 and on-line play. Truthfully, I'll probably finish Halo 2 and thats it. I don't do well with finishing games. Oh, I just started playing FFI&II: Dawn of Souls. I also picked up LoTR: The Third Age. I think its time for a new game.
Old 12-14-04, 06:43 AM
wlj
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I am bad for not finishing games as well. I will buy a "hot" new game and play it alot for a week or two. Then I will buy another game and quit playing the one before. I should buy just one game at a time...finish that one then get another. Back in the old NES days...there weren't killer apps coming out every freaking week or month...that way I could finish games. Also I was very young so I didn't have the money to buy many games...maybe that was why . I bought GTA: SA when it was released and played it alot for a couple of weeks -- I got halfway through San Fierro. Then I bought ESPN College Hoops which shelved GTA and I haven't played it since. But get this...a week after I bought ESPN College Hoops I bought a Xbox with Chronicles of Riddick and Halo. I shelved ESPN and haven't played it since. I am proud that I did finish Halo on "normal" last night. That game is so good it won't be shelved until Dec. 25th when I get Halo 2

wlj
Old 12-14-04, 07:12 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I play for about 1 - 2 hours each night. I really get into hot new releases and play one game almost exculsively for about a month, then I move on to something else. I realized last night that I've hit the wall with Halo 2. I finished the single player game and my clanmates are never online so I'm getting bored with online play. Time to buy Half-Life 2 I guess...
Old 12-14-04, 08:46 AM

In the past, I would rush home and pop in the new game I just bought and sit for hours. I would play this game until one of the two things happened, 1) I finished the game or 2) the next game I was waiting for came out. Then the old game would go into storage as a fall back on game. I would usually play for a few hours a day. Now, with the birth of my first child, in the past 3 months I have probably put in a total of 15 hours. Problem with that is that I am still buying games like I still have all this free time which I don't. So I have a backlog of games to play that I will probably get to in about 15 years.

I have the same problem with DVD's. I own over 600 and now my watching time has been greatly reduced. But, It's still easier to pop in a movie and watch it than to try to get involved in a good game.
Old 12-14-04, 09:10 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

For the latest games that I have really been wanting I usually get about half way through then get burned out and have to shelf it for a while, even on really great games. I have quite a few games sitting at about 50% right now. I have so many unopened to play it's ridiculous.
Old 12-14-04, 11:41 AM
Retired

I have a hard time finding more than 5 hours or so a week to game, even when I get a new game I'm dying to play. I usually play even less than that.
Old 12-14-04, 12:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 361 Likes on 304 Posts
I work a whole bunch so I find little time to play games. The newest game I bought was KOTOR 2 last week and I haven't played it yet.
Old 12-14-04, 02:22 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 399 Likes on 299 Posts
Originally Posted by RoQuEr
I can't remember the last time I finished a game...
I know the feeling. I get close to the end of a game, and then somehow just never finish it. The last game I finished I think was the Wind Waker.