Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

New Gamecubes-No S video or component?

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-04, 01:10 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New Gamecubes-No S video or component?

Greetings!
Tried a search,but not a real help.
I've heard newer gc's don't have these connections,any way to get an older model?
What to do if you get one for a gift and it doesn't have these conn.but you want to take advantage of them.
I assume all these "bundle" paks would include a newer version?
What to do?
Thanx!

CHEERS! jefff
Old 12-13-04, 01:17 PM

The newer ones supposedly do not come with the digital video out (Component video) port. Only the regular A/V port remains. You can still use S-video with the regular A/V port - just find a video cable with S-Video.
Old 12-13-04, 01:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If you get a new Gamecube without the digital out and would like it, simply call Nintendo and they'll work with you to get one to you. Bear in mind this is for component only, S-Video still works as stated above.
Old 12-13-04, 02:15 PM

Thanks for the help!
I would like both connection options,in case I move it from one room to another.
Pixy,does Nintendo just exchange the cube thru the mail for you? Is it a new (not refurb unit) do they need receipts/etc. I would contact them for the details-but I don't HAVE a cube yet.
Also,what are YOUR thoughts on a "Wavebird" is it any good? J/K.

What kind of cable is needed for the S vid hookup (cube does not have an S vid output from what I see)
And I'm unfamiliar with this cable hookup for the cube-can someone link me in the right direction? I assume you could use this conn. for N64 and Sup.nintendo,as they both have the same output?

Thanx all!
Very helpful and amusing place here!

CHEERS! jefff
Old 12-13-04, 02:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I don't know what the process is I'm just repeating what I've read here. It will be a refurbished unit though.

The Gamecube uses the same cables from SNES and N64, so if you have an S-Video cable for one of those system you are already set for S-Video. If you don't have one, you can order one from Nintendo (recommended) or buy a cheap 3rd party cable from a store. The 3rd party cables are usually pretty bad though.

The Wavebird is the best console controller ever created. No contest, not even close.
Old 12-13-04, 04:17 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Here is the link to contact Nintendo for Gamecube Component video options, if you received a unit without it.

http://www.nintendo.com/consumer/sys...ponent_faq.jsp
Old 12-13-04, 05:33 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I'm going to give them a call....
Old 12-28-04, 02:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by Etrigan
What kind of cable is needed for the S vid hookup (cube does not have an S vid output from what I see)
And I'm unfamiliar with this cable hookup for the cube-can someone link me in the right direction? I assume you could use this conn. for N64 and Sup.nintendo,as they both have the same output?
Yeah, just like the other consoles, what you see is the multi AV-out, which has s-video and other types of connections. It's just a matter of getting the right cable like Pixy said.

BTW, on AheadGames' website (http://www.aheadgames.com), they are saying that they have received their last shipment of the Gamecube VGA cable (modified D-Terminal cable that connects to the digital out on the older Gamecubes). Once they're gone, they're gone. There are VGA boxes that convert the interlaced signal to VGA, but the picture quality isn't as good as with a true VGA signal. If anyone else is looking to play Gamecube on a VGA monitor, it seems like now would be the time to get one of these cables.
Old 12-28-04, 09:26 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I called. You ship it back Fedex and they ship you an AV equipped unit in 7-9 days max. They match color supposedly so I better get a Platinum one back. What a hassle.
Old 12-28-04, 09:34 PM

hey CRM, you need to change your sig to 13-2.

man i hate the frickin eagles
Old 12-28-04, 09:49 PM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

Originally Posted by PixyJunket
I don't know what the process is I'm just repeating what I've read here. It will be a refurbished unit though.

The Gamecube uses the same cables from SNES and N64, so if you have an S-Video cable for one of those system you are already set for S-Video. If you don't have one, you can order one from Nintendo (recommended) or buy a cheap 3rd party cable from a store. The 3rd party cables are usually pretty bad though.
I use Monster Cable's GCN S-Video cable and have been very happy with it. In fact, It's one of the few third party items I would recommend over Nintendo's OEM cable.

For the component cable, you pretty much have to get it straight from Nintendo's online store. I don't think they even make a third party version. I got lucky and found a used one at GameStop for $7.
Old 12-28-04, 11:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Hmm... I just got a new gamecube without the component video, but my TV only has one component video in and it's being used by my DVD player. I'll have to think about it. To fedex via ground delivery would be ~ $5 or $6, so the price really isn't an issue, is it something I would ever use? Do newer TVs have more than one component video input?
Old 12-29-04, 12:29 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Heat
Hmm... I just got a new gamecube without the component video, but my TV only has one component video in and it's being used by my DVD player. I'll have to think about it. To fedex via ground delivery would be ~ $5 or $6, so the price really isn't an issue, is it something I would ever use? Do newer TVs have more than one component video input?
Yeah, a lot of TVs have multiple component inputs. I never tried the S-Video cable but Metroid Prime looked a LOT better on my Sony HD capable TV when I switched from the default composite cables to Nintendo's component cables.

If I had to pick though, I'd probably leave my DVD player as my single component device.
Old 12-29-04, 09:02 AM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

Is your TV progressive scan or no? If not, then you'll notice minimal difference between the S-Video and component hookups. S-Video's improvement over the standard composite hookups is substantial, however.

Still, it might be nice to have the component option for when you get a better TV (though by then there will no doubt be a whole new generation of consoles taking up our time). I use the component hookups in my bedroom and S-Video in my living room. Neither TV is progressive scan, but the one in the bedroom has multiple component inputs and the color is a little better using that method. It has an "enhanced resolution" feature that doubles lines for anamorphic DVDs, but you cannot use the GCN's progressive scan mode with it.

Last edited by BeckysBoy; 12-29-04 at 09:08 AM.
Old 12-29-04, 09:13 AM
DVD Talk Hero

I don't know if I need it or not but I do know it will be gnawing at me to know there's a better option out there.

My TV has 3 component inputs, I believe.
Old 12-29-04, 03:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by BeckysBoy
Is your TV progressive scan or no? If not, then you'll notice minimal difference between the S-Video and component hookups. S-Video's improvement over the standard composite hookups is substantial, however...
No, my TV is a 27" Toshiba that is about 4 years old, I'm almost positive that it doesn't have progressive scan.

Though I was planning on buying a new TV to replace my bedroom TV this week and was again looking at 27" Toshiba TVs, I'll pay attention to how many component video inputs there are. The one I'm looking at is ~ $240, so I doubt there'll be too many bells and whistles.
Old 12-29-04, 03:08 PM
Retired

On a 27" non-progressive scan you're not going to notice any difference between component and S-video unless you have eagle eyes (big diff between S-video and composite though) so I wouldn't worry about it.
Old 12-29-04, 03:09 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Soes Nintendo not foot the bill for the shipping? If not that would be a drastic change in the previous policy.