Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

So who has a Nintendo DS?

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-04, 11:43 AM
Mod Emeritus

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
So who has a Nintendo DS?

I'm thinking about getting one. Yeah I know there's a 1/Only thread, but it seems more like a pissing competition between the PSP and the DS.

How good are the DS games? What's Tiger like or Ridge Racer? I want some real feedback on the system.... so system owners please speak up!

Thanks
Old 12-13-04, 12:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I don't think Feel the Magic has been mentioned much here.. but this is the game to get if you really want to play around with your DS. It's akin to Wario Ware in that it's made up of several mini games, but instead of 200 micro games, you get a couple dozen more in-depth mini-games. ALL of them are pretty bizarre and use the touch screen or mic to control. Some include: pumping fish out of someone's stomach, rubbing dirt off of your girl (while she makes moaning sounds), blowing out space candles (blow into the mic) and removing clothing. It is a truly odd title and quite enjoyable. Some other oddities include being able to poke your girl on the score/ranking screens and she'll react accordingly (even docking you points for touching certain areas). I didn't get to play it much but whenever I get a DS, this is on my MUST BUY list.
Old 12-13-04, 12:09 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I agree with Pixy, Feel The Magic is a must buy. A fun game and shows off many features of the DS. Tiger Woods is due out this week so you may not find any comments on it yet. I am a sucker for portable golf so I'll probably be picking it up this weekend. I would say pass on Madden, decent but will get better down the road. I've spent alot of time on Mario 64's mini-games only, I actually need to get back to story mode to open some more of them. Haven't played Ridge Racer yet so I couldn't comment on that one. Mr. Driller is fun to pass the time, but doesn't use the features of the DS too well. Just my 2 cents.
Old 12-13-04, 12:36 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by Phuzbox
I agree with Pixy, Feel The Magic is a must buy.
I good quote from PGC:
Feel the Magic makes use of almost every single feature the DS has built into it. The only exclusion is a multiplayer mode. Every game uses the touch screen for control. The D-Pad and buttons are not used at all. There are all sorts of mini-games. A few examples include spray-painting graffiti, driving a car, and digging for treasures in the sand. There are even a few games that make use of the microphone. You will draw glances when you have to yell into the microphone to get your one and only love to notice you over the din of a marching band.

And this has nothing to do with anything:

Last edited by jeffdsmith; 12-13-04 at 12:42 PM.
Old 12-13-04, 12:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Mr. Driller is the big letdown of the DS for me. First of all, as I've imported every other game in the series I can say without a doubt that the DS version of Mr. Driller is almost IDENTICAL to the last GBA version. The graphics and music are identical, there's no new characters.. the only new things about it are the Pressure Mode (which isn't anything to write home about) and the Drill Shop (which isn't anything to write home about). The best part about the last GBA game, Drill Stone mode, was stripped from the American version for no reason at all.

It's a great game if you've never played it before or if you've haven't played any of the new games beyond the original on Dreamcast or Playstation.

I'm not a big fan of Mario 64 but I've had to go through more than half of the game to unlock all the mini-games for my girlfriend, and it's alright. I can at least tell that it's in no way a port of the original. Everything about the game graphically has been updated at least to some degree and there's just so much new and changed. I can't get used to the touch screen for analog control though. Some people have and are saying it's so much more accurate than an analog stick (and I can see how it would be).. but I just couldn't get it to work for me. Now on the other hand, stylus control rocks. The stylus mini games and the control in Metroid Prime Hunters is awesome. I was especially surprised at how well Metroid played.

I rarely consider anything EA publishes to be even worth typing about, so I can't comment on the rest of the lineup.

The quality of the screens and the speakers are fantastic! I've almost considered getting a DS just to play my GBA games. But that would be silly, so I'm still holding off on my purchase. Wario Ware Touch may be what cracks me though.
Old 12-13-04, 01:25 PM

i HAD some, but they're gone now.
Old 12-13-04, 01:40 PM
Mod Emeritus

Do I need a special jack to make headphones work with it?
Old 12-13-04, 01:47 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
I have one and so far I have picked up Spiderman 2 (which I find really hard, not a lot of touch screen use except for some mini-games, and some boss battles), and Super Mario. I have imported Mr. Driller, and Chokkan Hitofude which should be here by the end of the week hopefully.

My boss at work picked up Ridge Racer and he really likes it, I have played a couple of multiplayer races with him and it seemed okay (I'm not a racing fan). He tried Asphalt Urban GT and really liked the selection of cars, but he commented that it was dark and sometimes hard to see. I don't know if he will pick it up later or not.

No it has a normal mini-jack for the headphones.

Last edited by Edison; 12-13-04 at 01:50 PM.
Old 12-13-04, 01:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Gallant Pig
Do I need a special jack to make headphones work with it?
No.. but if you do have GBA headphones, they'll work on the DS too.
Old 12-13-04, 02:28 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Location: Austin, Texas XboxLIVE Gamertag: Golucky Timezone: Central (CST)
Got one, but I've only played SM64DS, and Metriod Demo. The system is rock solid, even after taking some abuse from my kids. I've enjoyed both games, and my kids are having a blast with the SM64 and the mini games. For my three year old, it's all about the stylus. He just loves the music match minigame, and plays all the rest of the mini games really well. My Daughter and I are both addicted to Super Mario. (61 Stars so far)

IMO, If you enjoyed SM64 the first time around, you'll enjoy this one. Since
I never finished the first one, I'm getting to play most of it with fresh eyes.

Metroid's graphics are awesome, but I would rather multiplayer.

One of the features that I am highly anticipating is being able to play across the 'net. I'll finally be able to play multiplayer games from
where ever I'm at. woot!
Old 12-13-04, 02:45 PM
Mod Emeritus

What about the Urbz?
Old 12-13-04, 02:46 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

There isn't a good selection of games for it yet. Unless you like Mario64, I don't think there's a game out there that really justifies a purchase. I've heard Feel the Magic is good, but also very short. I can't bring myself to buy a game at full price that I can beat in the first sitting. I'm thinking about picking up Mr. Driller because I want a puzzle game, but I may hold off for Zookeeper. The only other game I've considered getting is Ridge Racer, but I easily grow tired of racing games (unless its Mario Kart). So if it wasn't for Mario64, I probably would've waited to get the DS until either Metroid, Wario Ware, or Mario Kart came out.
Old 12-13-04, 02:52 PM
Li

I bought one when we got a few extra in at work, but decided I could wait until after Christmas and sold it on eBay for $50 more than I bought it for. I was a little disappointed because a lot of them were going got $220+, but I wasn't that lucky...
Old 12-13-04, 05:15 PM

Picked up two on launch (my wife) and am impressed. I like having the ability to choose what to play-GBA or DS. I chose to play GBA games top-screen and the colors are very bright. So far I've picked up Asphalt Urban, Mr. Driller, Spiderman and Mario. I can say pass on Spiderman, it doesn't use the DS features well, unless you like side-scrollers.
Asphalt Urban is great IMO-the graphics are decent and it handles well enough. I also like having the quick-race option. I've never played a Mr. Driller title until now but I'm hooked. I've been playing using the stylus because my left arm is in a brace and the cart hasn't left my system since. Touch works well with my gimp-arm.
I'd say pick up the system and swing by an EB/Gamestop and demo the games. They let me try Ridge Racer and I opted to stick with the racer I own.
Old 12-13-04, 08:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Had one, but wasn't happy with the controls in Mario 64. I did rent and play through Feel the Magic and it is fun, but short. I did like the control in Metroid once I adjusted to it and its kind of like playing a PC FPS. I'm still unsure I will want to play analog heavy games like Mario 64 and Mario Kart on it though. I went ahead and sold mine on ebay to make a nice profit since I wanted a new PDA.

When the software lineup gets better I'm sure I will own one again at some point. I've actually got enough in credit at GameRush to buy another one and I may do that when they get some more in this week (they say they will). I don't think its a system I will buy a lot of software for, but I would definitely want it for the RPGs that are coming like FF III and the Namco titles.
Old 12-13-04, 09:49 PM

I love my DS. I have Mario 64, which I didn't have any problems controlling. Plus it has all those extra mini games so its really a great money value. I also picked up Feel the Magic which is really fun, but definately on the short side. Its great to show to friends. Mr Driller is a solid puzzler. I haven't played other versions of it so I can't attest to how it stacks up, but I'm pretty happy with it.

Right now I'm avoiding any game over 30 dollars. I think that's my limit as far as paying for a handheld game, but I would like to get Tiger Woods at some point.

My next purchase will either be Rayman or Warioware, whatever comes first (Warioware is mid Feb, no date on Rayman)

Overall, I'm very pleased with it. Really nice image quality on the screens and it looks like theres some promising software for the future.
Old 12-13-04, 11:15 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
My co-worker played the import version of Wario Ware last night for 2 hours straight, I'm guessing by his enthusiasm tonight he really enjoyed it.
Old 12-13-04, 11:55 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I love my DS. As a huge fan of Mario 64, I've been having a blast going through the new version. The minigames are a killer bonus and add a ton of replay to an already excellent game.

I'm even more excited about the upcoming games and when the system's unique features are explored.
Old 12-14-04, 03:01 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 361 Likes on 304 Posts
I am currently enjoying having a DS. I only have Mario DS and Sprung for it, but both games are really fun. Even though Sprung is all text based and it does get tedious over sometime, I still find it a neat little game. Have been playing a whole lot of Super Puzzle Fighter 2 (GBA) on my DS though
Old 12-14-04, 07:36 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

so you can play GBA games on it? does the DS use a different cart?
Old 12-14-04, 07:56 AM

I enjoy the DS as well. I can seem to get my wife to stop playing it. I have Mario 64, Mr. Driller, and my wife just bought Sprung. She claims that Sprung reminds her of the early Leisure Suit Larry games that she used to play. I am waiting for Wario Ware and hopefully Santa will bring me a racing game. The screen is incredible and the sound is AMAZING.
Old 12-14-04, 12:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 361 Likes on 304 Posts
Originally Posted by j123vt_99
yup. the GBA and DS games use different cartridge slots on the system itself. you can leave one of each game in the system and when you get to the main menu you can choose which one you'd like to play.
Old 12-14-04, 12:43 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by j123vt_99
Yup. DS games are more like cards rather than carts, and much smaller than GBA carts. The DS game slot is on top, while the GBA game slot is on the bottom.
Old 12-14-04, 01:00 PM
Retired

I love the system. A nice upgrade on the GBASP both because it's more comfortable to hold and is back lit rather than sidelight so games look much better.

Of the DS games, I've only played Mario 64 DS and the Metroid Demo. Mario is great, the controls could be better, but they added a lot, and then new mini games are a lot of fun and great time killers.

Metroid Demo was very good as well, can't wait for the full game.

Of upcoming games, I dying for the new 2D mario and the new Warioware. Yoshi's touch and go looks interesting as well.
Old 12-15-04, 12:35 AM

http://www.gameinfowire.com/news.asp?nid=5521

12/14/2004 4:55:05 PM | Hand-held |

Atari Announces Retro Atari Classics for Nintendo DS

Atari will revisit the roots of modern video games with a contemporary spin with its upcoming Retro Atari Classics for the Nintendo DS. The game, expected to be available in March 2005, will reinvent 10 classic Atari titles with fresh graphics provided by world renowned graffiti artists. The game will also take advantage of all Nintendo DS innovations, including dual screen gameplay, touch screen controls and wireless play.
"Some of gamers' favorite classics are getting tagged for the 21st century by some of the most talented graffiti artists in the world," said Wim Stocks, Executive Vice President, Sales and Marketing, Atari. "With its blend of old school addictive gameplay and new school artistry and technology, Retro Atari Classics is the must have game for all Nintendo DS gamers, young and old."

Retro Atari Classics will feature 10 original Atari games, including Pong, Missile Command, Asteroids, Breakout, Centipede, Tempest, Warlords, Gravitar, Lunar Lander and Sprint. Each title will be playable in its original form as well as in the all new "Tagged" mode, featuring brand new looks from some of today's most popular graffiti artists, including REAS, Delta and Obey Giant.

The game will take advantage of all the technical innovations the Nintendo DS brings to gaming including touch screen functionality for tighter game controls, up-to-four player wireless multiplayer, dual screen gameplay for larger game environments and the ability to play head-to-head against another player on the same Nintendo DS in classic arcade fashion.

Developed by Los Angeles-based Taniko, Retro Atari Classics is expected to be available in March 2005 for the Nintendo DS.

Probably a dumb question, but are all of these 10 (20) games on one cartridge? If so, this would be a great deal for $30 or $40.

Chris

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.