Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

White Noise (the return of michael keaton)

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Old 12-12-04, 05:24 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 63 Likes on 53 Posts

Just saw a commercial for this, looks like it an extension on the poltergeist, voices from the TV. I hope this turns out to be a good one. Always nice to see Mr. Keaton in a flick.
Old 12-12-04, 05:57 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
One of my all-time favorite actors & IMO one of the most diverse actors ever.

But I have no interest in this movie. It just looks so boring & typical with the same cheap scares every recent American horror movie has.
Old 12-12-04, 06:05 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ill be going to see it. Im a sucker for Keaton movies and cheesy spook films.
Old 12-12-04, 06:06 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

While I am slightly interested in the movie itself, try checking out the website they reference in the trailer with people who believe in this idea of being able to record the voices of the dead. The site is ww.aaevp.com. I visited it out of curiousity after seeing the trailer today and even if you believe in the possibility of life after death (as I tend to) these people come off as a little off their rockers.
Old 12-12-04, 06:35 PM

Received 90 Likes on 76 Posts
The movie looks lame, IMO. However, chances are good that I'll see it because I do like Michael Keaton.
Old 01-04-05, 11:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I just got back from an early screening from this.

Usually with a free early screening, one is supposed to arrive at the theater an hour before showtime. With that logic, you get there before most people (because the masses are usually late to everything created by man... except sex...) and you get good-to-decent seats. I've followed the "one-hour" rule with every free early screening I've attended in my life and I have always got a good seat. Not this time around through.

I got to the theater a little bit after 6:15pm (the movie was to start at 7:30pm) and there were already over 300 people waiting in line to see the flick (Universal promoted the film well it seems). There was such a demand for this film that the theater had to open up a second auditorium to hold all the people that were showing up. A half and hour before the film started, the line went all around a majority of the inside of the building.

In the end, the theater ended up holding the film in back to back 200-seat auditoriums. Both ended up being full to capacity. I've never seen this much attention for an advanced screening before.

At 7:30pm, the lights went down and the film began.
At 9:10pm, the lights came up and everyone was pissed.

The film, like almost every other film ever to be released during the month of January, is a piece of shit. There is not one moment of actual, good filmmaking during this hamhanded suckfest.

I am so pissed off at the moment (after I wasted three hours at the movie theater) that I can't even explain how bad this film is. It's slow, it's boring, nothing happens, and it makes simply no fucking sense at the end.

Spoiler:
The ghosts don't murder anyone EXCEPT Michael Keaton's character. Everyone else who dies throughout the film was murdered by a man who has "talked" to the ghosts. If the ghosts can kill the main fucking character, why can't the ghosts kill everyone else? Such bullshit!

Goddamnit, I am pissed. And I couldn't even secure tickets to tomorrow's free screening of In Good Company (which is already "booked"). DAMNIT.
Old 01-04-05, 11:59 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
well hopefully elektra doesn't fall into that catagory of "all jan movies suck"
Old 01-05-05, 12:03 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Does he bitchslap the ghost and say "I'm Batman"
Old 01-05-05, 12:07 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Does he bitchslap the ghost and say "I'm Batman"
That would've been fucking awesome. I would've liked the movie simply for that.

Spoiler:
But no. The ghosts beat the shit out of him and throw him off a building. Michael Keaton ends up PWNED like a motherfucker.

Last edited by Matthew Chmiel; 01-05-05 at 12:14 AM.
Old 01-05-05, 09:39 AM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

Originally Posted by Matthew Chmiel
The film, like almost every other film ever to be released during the month of January, is a piece of shit. There is not one moment of actual, good filmmaking during this hamhanded suckfest.

I am so pissed off at the moment (after I wasted three hours at the movie theater) that I can't even explain how bad this film is. It's slow, it's boring, nothing happens, and it makes simply no fucking sense at the end.
Well, I disagree with the January statement, but the rest is spot-on. It feels weird to agree with Chmiel, but here we are.

It's a pretty bad film. A shame for Keaton, but he tries. The trailer was a lot more interesting and explored the subject of EVP more than the finished film does.

As for the ending, or the overall plot, as Chmiel puts it, "it makes simply no fucking sense."

I couldn't agree more.
Old 01-05-05, 10:06 AM

If Elektra ends up being anything other than "awful" ill be amazed. Take a moment and realize its a spin-off of a Ben Affleck action movie

And to get back on topic, White Noise dosent look terribly good either, but im a sucker for scary movies, especially when you are accompanied by a girl who gets very scared and very clingy

thats really why horror movies rock
Old 01-05-05, 01:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 360 Likes on 303 Posts
Originally Posted by Hospitaller
If Elektra ends up being anything other than "awful" ill be amazed. Take a moment and realize its a spin-off of a Ben Affleck action movie
Elektra is based off the comics. Elektra had her own comics made by Marvel.

The trailer for White Noise looked interesting but after reading what a few of you have said about it, I might have to wait for a rental on this one, or at least a matinee showing.

Last edited by asianxcore; 01-05-05 at 01:18 PM.
Old 01-05-05, 02:52 PM

well sure its based on the comics (in principle)

but if for example it was revealed there was going to be a movie based on say Jean Grey/Phoenix, starring Famke Janssen, what do you think is going to give you the best idea of what the movie will be like: reading 25 year old xmen comic books, or watching the recent movie starring the same actor in the same role made by the same studio/producers?
Old 01-05-05, 03:11 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
I was also really let down by this film. What pissed me off was the actual cut away shots that had nothing to do with a specific scene. Keaton talking and then you cut away to a generic shot that you would see in a NIN video and then back to keaton for some reason.

It's all surprise "BOOOO!! SCARED YOU!!!" type of scares also. crap.
Old 01-05-05, 06:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Hey Scott, we agreed on The Lost Skeleton of Cadavra.
Old 01-05-05, 08:07 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Guess I'll be skipping this one. It will make money though. People love their horror films.
Old 01-05-05, 08:37 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
I was really looking forward to this. No longer.
Old 01-05-05, 10:08 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Damn, and I thought it could've had a fighting chance. Oh well... Thank you for saving me ten dollars.
Old 01-05-05, 10:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Damn, I was hopping this was at least decent (0% so far at RottenTomatoes.com). This Friday is my birthday and the wife agreed to see a horror movie. Unfortunately it looks like my only choices are this and "Darkness". Damn! I was looking forward to actually seeing a horror movie in the theater. Maybe she'll give me a rain check until the new Rob Zombie flick comes out.
Old 01-05-05, 10:51 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Hospitaller

And to get back on topic, White Noise dosent look terribly good either, but im a sucker for scary movies, especially when you are accompanied by a girl who gets very scared and very clingy

thats really why horror movies rock
and knowing its based on a movie that had affleck, the critics will probably bitch slap Elektra out of the park with their reviews.

kind of agree with your other statement as well.
Old 01-05-05, 11:10 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Does it have any shots of a kid drawing a seemingly innocuous picture that turns out to be a haunting harbinger of doom?
Old 01-05-05, 11:56 PM
Fok
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Guess I'll be renting this one then
Old 01-06-05, 12:28 AM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

Originally Posted by DeputyDave
This Friday is my birthday and the wife agreed to see a horror movie. Unfortunately it looks like my only choices are this and "Darkness". Damn!
Sweet jesus, don't go near DARKNESS. See NOISE instead.
Old 01-06-05, 07:19 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by DonnachaOne
Does it have any shots of a kid drawing a seemingly innocuous picture that turns out to be a haunting harbinger of doom?

Followed by the child saying strangely foreshadowing things like, "They feel the pain" and "They've come back."

I think we have The Shining to thank for all these creepy kids in horror movies. It's become such a cliche it's ridiculous.
Old 01-06-05, 07:38 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post
Hmm... Jack and Matt both hated it. Now I really want to see it.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.